ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Possible ide raid collapse.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/160076-possible-ide-raid-collapse.html)

super_si 17 December 2002 02:01 PM

say's hard drive x has either failed or not responding. Thats it, with a flashy screen at bios with the hard drive name + serial.

both hard drives power on, ive tried differet cables power etc.

Am i resigned to the fact ive lost 100GB data or not?

Thanks

Si

David_Wallis 17 December 2002 02:29 PM

doesnt sound like an ideal raid configuration to me...

Oh well restore from your backup :D

David

HHxx 17 December 2002 02:37 PM

I take it you striped it? Oh well, the data can't have been that important then :D

Man you get the worst run of luck I've ever seen... ;)

druddle 17 December 2002 03:01 PM

As discussed mate, i would say unless you can put the disks on another mobo with a RAID controller and make the stripe again, then your buggered. That may not even work.

Next time if you have to use RAID, create a mirror ;)

Dave

MarkO 17 December 2002 03:32 PM

As Mr. Wallis said, though, it'll be no problem Simon, since you'll just restore from the backup you made, eh?

After all, one would presume that since your last 'lost work double-whammy' scenario, your incremental/generational backup system must be pretty flawless now? ;)

super_si 17 December 2002 03:49 PM

How am i ment to backup 100Gb films :eek:

thats still an awful lot CD's. nevermind,ive tried changing cables etc, still say's one drives not responding.

it was striped :(

DominicA 17 December 2002 03:51 PM

striped not mirrored??

super_si 17 December 2002 03:56 PM

yes, striped.

No more raid for me :D ive learnt this time. 2*80Gb will do

Si

David_Wallis 17 December 2002 03:57 PM

How to backup??

http://www.dabs.com/products/show-ba...?quicklinx=YPB

super_si 17 December 2002 04:00 PM

:eek:

Silly money for my needs. Anyone got 1000Zip discs :D

druddle 17 December 2002 04:21 PM

This might help.

Only a few hundred thousand :D :D

super_si 17 December 2002 04:24 PM

Oh my god.............. What'd that be used for
number of drives max. 384
cache size max. 65 GB
:eek:

druddle 17 December 2002 04:32 PM

Thats what you call proper storage !!!! Used alot for big Data Warehouses and databases with UNIX servers.

MarkO 17 December 2002 04:35 PM

How am i ment to backup 100Gb films
Well, just buy a spare disk, and copy them over to that one. Easy, and not particularly expensive, either.

HHxx 17 December 2002 04:35 PM

Nah, you want a custom built silo housing a robotic arm :o :)

druddle 17 December 2002 05:39 PM

Nah you want one of these. !!!!!!

HHxx 17 December 2002 05:49 PM

Lol, I watched a Scalar fall through the floor on a stand at the NEC :)

shunty 17 December 2002 05:56 PM

did it still work afterwards, & what a great way to test it;):D

shunty

chiark 17 December 2002 05:56 PM

I'm not going to say "we told you so" coz that's silly.

Have you got the important stuff backed up, i.e. the irreplacable like coursework, photos, documents, etc... That shouldn't run to that large a size...

shunty 17 December 2002 05:59 PM

on a serious note super_si, have you tried piggy-backing the disk yet ?
is it spinning up ???

shunty

super_si 17 December 2002 06:05 PM

Not so sure now, ive spent nearly 2 hours formatting, only to find i think tis fooked!

IWatkins 18 December 2002 12:36 AM

No, no, no, you want one of these:

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/corpora...ages/fig10.jpg

only about 1 petabyte of online at the moment, but will rise to 2.5 PB soon. More info here.

:D

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by IWatkins - 12/18/2002 12:38:50 AM]

HHxx 18 December 2002 12:55 AM

The library still worked afterwards :)

Those silo's are the way to go :) Experian I believe have some :)

But hey, I can't afford those yet, I use a Dat and Dlt drives :)

Si, hope you haven't lost anything important this time.

H

ozzy 18 December 2002 01:14 AM

Of course, the resident smart-@arse I told you so's on here won't tell you how they backup gigabytes of their data :p

I blagged at DAT drive from my old work, but even with 12Gb DAT tapes, it still takes a few to do a full backup.

Stefan

super_si 18 December 2002 08:09 AM

I lost about months worth work, but it has been handed in. its just 8months in downloading films which has pissed me off more.

Si

Stueyb 18 December 2002 10:37 AM

I have one of these "super dooper" ide raid controllers (had to get one because the motherboard would only run on the ATA66 sockets and not the ATA100 and scan computers *ahem* cowboys *ahem* didnt want to know (after trying for 5 days to get through to returns) anyway..

I bought this controller and I made a decision to run it as a fancy IDE card, rather than a raid for 2 reasons:

1. The diff in speed is noticable, but from what I can gather, it isnt that noticable unless you are doing sustained data transfer (ie unraring pron ;) )

2. Because you are doubling up on drives, you are also doubling the potential failure rate as you have twice as many things that can go wrong.

chiark 18 December 2002 10:59 AM

I just back up the stuff I need to on CD-ROM. TBH, I only really worry about documents, mail and pictures which are all impossible to recreate or download.

If I buy a video camera, dvd-writer might be the way to go, and given that you're downloading a load of, ah, "stuff" then that might suit you best?

Cheers,
Nick.

Mr Footlong 18 December 2002 07:26 PM

At least he is not blaming anyone, as he was aware, especially with so many of us telling him that twice as many discs = twice as much chance of failure. You pay your money and takes your choice at the end of the day.

Sh!t happens, unfortunate, but at least it was films and not something unbelieveably important :)

Cheers,

Nick :)

MarkO 18 December 2002 07:34 PM

Of course, the resident smart-@arse I told you so's on here won't tell you how they backup gigabytes of their data
Rather like Chiark, I backup everything important (documents, accounts, email etc) to CD, usually once a week. I alternate between 2 CD-RW discs, meaning I've got some level of incremental backup in case one fails. Okay, so the 30Gb of MP3s I've got on my HDD would be lost, but it's not essential data, and there's copies of that round and about (e.g., on the work server, my mate's laptop, etc ;)).

I lost about months worth work, but it has been handed in. its just 8months in downloading films which has pissed me off more.
Perhaps you should have got a DVD writer - wouldn't have taken too long to archive them off to 20-25 discs. After all, it's not like email/docs/etc which is constantly changing.

Still, you'll know for next time. :D

super_si 18 December 2002 09:29 PM

Cheers anyway, least now ive 2 independant drives, to backup and shift things around.

just IE doesnt want to work