ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Over-inflated tyres contibute to accidental death. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/160006-over-inflated-tyres-contibute-to-accidental-death.html)

alcazar 17 December 2002 10:38 AM

Saw this in last nite's local paper. Young bloke in a Corsa, rolled it, and was killed in the accident, although his friends got out. Police accident investigators stated that a contibutary cause to the accident was that his front tyres were inflated to 83psi!!!!, while the rears were underinflated to 20psi.
Apparently, it's done to help them do handbrake turns/donuts?
Alcazar:(:

Paulo P 17 December 2002 10:47 AM

That would cause massive understeer though wouldn't it? Not good for handbrake turns :confused:

Paul

alcazar 17 December 2002 10:58 AM

Understeer was mentioned by the investigating officer, and the coroner, but so were handbrake turns. :confused:
Alcazar

DRUNKNORGY 17 December 2002 11:10 AM

So its proof that Nova/Corsa Boyz really do have sh!t for brains, (or am i just generalising ? ;))

brickboy 17 December 2002 11:11 AM

Same here -- previous car (Volvo T4), new front tyres fitted, driving home and I'm getting massive wheelspin in 3rd and the traction control cutting in everywhere. One front tyre was at 48psi, the other at 28 ...

P20SPD 17 December 2002 11:13 AM

Cant believe they are 83 psi, sure they dont mean 38psi.

Surely it would blow the fing tyre at that pressure.

marty_t3 17 December 2002 11:22 AM

I sent my young brother to the garage in my old Micra and asked him to stick some air in the tyres. I got it back with one of the fronts at nearly 60psi!! The car didn't feel quite right (kinda hadr to tell in a micra) but it wasn't all that bad. Didn't really notice it myself for almost a week.

mark_h 17 December 2002 12:06 PM

Surely it would blow the fing tyre at that pressure.
Doubt it. Most tyre fitters seem to overinflate a tyre to get it to 'pop' up against the rim, then they deflate it to the correct pressure. I saw one tyre being inflated to over 80psi before it popped into place.

cookiemonster 17 December 2002 12:08 PM

mark h speaks the truth - standard practise to get the beads to seal.

P1Fanatic 17 December 2002 12:27 PM

Yep I'll agree on the 80psi. Got two Toyos fitted a month or so ago and one popped on well easy. The other needed well over-inflating and the sound it made when it popped into place was deafening and scared the **** out of everyone in the garage.

Simon.

Paulo P 17 December 2002 12:36 PM

Yeah agree with Mark H they inflate them to over 100 psi in some cases :eek:

Paul

CrisPDuk 17 December 2002 12:43 PM

I would imagine that they were over inflated more to reduce the contact patch for burnouts. The heat generated from the sort of sustained burnouts generally 'performed' would easily inflate the tyre to that sort of pressure:(

Mr.Manchester 17 December 2002 12:43 PM

Ive been in a car accident 3 years ago do to a mates car having over inflated rear tyres.
As we hit the bend the back stepped out he controlled it but over steered and we did a full 360 degree spin whilst sliding up the road at 50mph, bounced up a kerb then off some fencing and bent the car round a lamp post as we hit it side on. when we hit the fencing with the back of the car, the stereo came out of the dash and hit me very hard in the chest, as we came to a stop i could smell petrol so i was out of there straight away.

Police put it down to wet road and over inflated tyres :(

speedking 17 December 2002 01:16 PM

Colleague of mine didn't have a handbook so took the sidewall instruction "maximum pressure 44psi" as the recommended running pressure :eek:

DRUNKNORGY 17 December 2002 01:25 PM

Taking my bike on track days, The tyre pressures are dropped from 41 to 30 psi to improve the grip, They get very hot as well and go like chewing gum at the end of each session.