ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Vauxhall VX220 Roadster (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/15892-vauxhall-vx220-roadster.html)

AWD 19 September 2000 12:16 AM

Was that the standard Elise and the new MR2?

AWD 19 September 2000 11:21 AM

Has anyone heard much about the new Vauxhall VX220 roadster i.e. how well it drives, handles etc. I know that it is meant to be on Driven tonight but I was wondering if anyone had seen anything about it already.

jbryant 19 September 2000 11:46 AM

In last month's Evo they rated it better than an Elise and MR2 in direct comparison test. Twas on the front cover.
Nuff said.
Joolz.

AndrewC 19 September 2000 01:08 PM

Last months Top Gear mag did a head-to-head between the VX220/Elise/MR2.

Did you know that the VX220 is basically an elise chassis with different engine, body and softer suspension. It was designed and will be built by Lotus.

I think the Elise has the best ulitmate performance but the VX220 is a better everyday car for enthusiastic driver on British roads.

They also rated the MR2 - If you're a hairdresser!

Richard F 19 September 2000 01:15 PM

I've looked at this. My local dealership (one of only 50 round the UK to sell the car) will get 20 but won't even get a demonstrator until November. Vauxhall haven't even announced any finance packages and you have to put down 1000 GBP to get a test drive!

It's supposed to share only 10% of the Elise's components and Car also rated it highly. It's on Top Gear next week.

147bhp, 157lb/ft from a 2.2 16v Ecotec unit. 0-60 in 5.6, top speed 134mph.

harryh 19 September 2000 01:18 PM

Don't care what anyone else thinks, I reckon the VX220 looks too much like a kit car, and not a nice kit car. Admittedly it's not as ugly the new Scoob but it's no oil painting.

longun 19 September 2000 02:10 PM

I quite like the look of it, but then I have a soft spot for vauxhalls mainly ones that have lotus badges on them..

It's all down to taste I've heard a few (1 or 2) say they now quite like the new scooby...

Looks like I'm going to have to watch driven tonight to find out!!!

AWD 19 September 2000 02:22 PM

Considering Vauxhall's last sporty-ish (or so they claimed) number was the Tigra I reckon they've done pretty well.

gregh 19 September 2000 02:34 PM

I've not seen a bad review of this car, seems to have out done the Elise!

Greg

harryh 20 September 2000 09:31 AM

But then it basically IS an Elise (more or less) They were quite complementary about it on Driven too. LOL I love the way everyone seems to be saying "It's pretty good and yet it has a Vauxhall badge on it" Poor old Vauxhall - I do have a bit of a soft spot for them too - first car I ever drove was my dad's Mk 1 Cav

simes 20 September 2000 11:58 PM

pants advertising tho

sorry couldn't resist

Simon

DaveU 21 September 2000 05:59 PM

I saw a bright yellow one driving through High Wycombe last weekend. Thought it was strange as we haven't even got a Vauxhall garage any more - it must have been a demo/show car. Blokes driving it looked smug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug. Car looked amazing in the flesh. 22k is quite expensive though i think.

Dave

kelvin 21 September 2000 07:05 PM

It'll be interesting to see what they say about it on Top Gear tonight.

Kelvin

RobMac 22 September 2000 08:31 PM

The VX220 IS based on an Elise chassis, but everything else has been changed by Lotus and Vauxhall.

The car tends to understeer a bit (!) due to the rather narrow front tyres compared to the Elise, but is actually a better balanced car all round. The new 2.2 engine is way better than the Rover VVC in the Elise, which is now no longer available anyway.

The European launch to the dealers is happening in Cannes at this very moment, and a few of my friends have been out there for Vauxhall (actually Opel being in Europe). The UK launch is soon at Millbrook and I will be doing that for them, although I actually drove the car (THE one from the TV advert) at Donington in July http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/smile.gif

I do a lot of work for Vauxhall (amongst others) and so get involved with a lot of the products before they go on sale.I have got a new Corsa sitting on the drive and it doesn't go on sale for another month!!

Rob.
PS the Corsa is great, MUCH better than the current one before anyone starts slagging off Vauxhalls...

Chris L 22 September 2000 09:40 PM

Hats off to Vauxhall - I reckon they've got a winner. I saw the VX220 at the Motorshow last year. I seriously considered ordering one, but then I had a test drive in a Scooby http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/biggrin.gif - decided I could'nt wait a year for my new car.

Still would consider having one though - I like the styling and it looks a little (though not a lot) more practical than the Elise.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris L (edited 22 September 2000).]