ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   ITV Formula1 Coverage (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/15709-itv-formula1-coverage.html)

Mick 18 June 2000 08:24 PM

My blood was boiling today with the ITV usless coverage of the Montreal GP!

So many things happening with the rain and all. HOW many advert breaks were there. Every time they came back there were a couple more incidents that had been missed ! Its just a shame the BBC can't afford to get these good sports programmes back http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/mad.gif

Mick

AllanB 18 June 2000 09:19 PM

At least it wasn't 2 hours following Schuey around like it used to be.

I was quite impressed we saw the midfield battles which are normally more interesting than the procession at the front

ALlanB

Chris L 18 June 2000 09:28 PM

I noticed the number of ad breaks increasing this season. When ITV first started their coverage, they kept the number of breaks down to a minimum. It's definetly increasing now.

Chris

DavidG 18 June 2000 09:53 PM

We saw the midfield battles because local boy Villeneuve was in them. There certainly were an awful lot of ad breaks this time.

Markus 19 June 2000 12:00 AM

The reason they don't put them in footy is that there would be a total uproar, whereas with F1 they think, oh F**k 'em, let's stick in some ads!

I really, really, really miss it being on the bbc. However, some coverage is better than none, and I'm not going to get sky and then have to pay per view, for GP, ain't worth it.

Must be some way to hack into the satelites and pick up the live feed??

KimA 19 June 2000 11:40 AM

If they can wait for half time in the football, why can't they just wait a wee bit longer in F1?

They'll no doubt be putting adverts in the footie next!!

CharlieWhiskey 19 June 2000 12:43 PM

It seems the ITV coverage is best when they have a re-start or Safety Car, which gets all the adverts out of the way!

I always thought it was a mistake to try and show a live race with adverts - but the alternative these day is Pay per View(or NOT) http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/mad.gif

It's a shame the BBC can't afford it but that P**** Egglestone is only interested in MONEY!

Only good thing on ITV is that guy in the pits - sure does know what he's talking about.

But please, please, time the adverts better and limit the number during the race.

Chris

GranTurismo 19 June 2000 01:08 PM

Hello,

I dont know how short your memories are,but I seem to rember that the BBC only showed the Brtish GP in entirety and showed tennis/bowls/golf/cricket/anything instead of GP at every oppotunity. I remember on year when pictures of rained off Wibledon were shown in prefernce to live GP. AT least with ITV we get to see most of it as it happens.

Oh yes and Wasnt the rallying supposed to be on Sunday????? where did that go to. Tennis..

And I HATE FOOTBALL.

Tone Loc 19 June 2000 01:24 PM

I agree with GT. The BBC used to only show qualifying live now and again, treating us to live show jumping, bowls or other such crap.

I think that ITV's coverage is really good, not taking into account the Ad breaks which really are to often! (btw where's the Saturday afternoon Murray and Martin's show gone?). The only thing that really is beginning to annoy me is Murray Walker and his constant mistakes, thank god for Martin. I used to like the guy but i think he's lost it now and should be put in an O.A.P home!

Martin's knowledge and insight into F1 makes it a pleasure to watch (when the ad breaks are on http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/rolleyes.gif ).

Tone.

[This message has been edited by Tone Loc (edited 19-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Tone Loc (edited 19-06-2000).]

CharlieWhiskey 19 June 2000 01:35 PM

Markus

I know it won't help but the Rallying is repeated on Monday about 13:30 ish Beeb 2

Its the same stuff they have as highlights on Eurosport, with a couple more interviews and a 'decent' commentary.

It was on Sunday after the tennis(15:10 ish) but as usual with the Beeb you can't find out when the bit you want to watch is on - even with Ceefax!

Chris

[This message has been edited by CharlieWhiskey (edited 19-06-2000).]

XRS 19 June 2000 01:41 PM

GT
Just how old ARE you? Either that or you have a good memory from a very young age!
I agree with the general sentiment. I lament the days when you got ALL the Saturday and Sunday sessions on Eurosport. John Watson did the Martin bit, and it was a good show. Of course, they lost the coverage at the same time as BBC. I could get RTL coverage for a while, but changed to Sky digital and it all went South.
Let's hope for improved coverage in the future including Rallying now that Dave Richards owns the rights.

Kev 19 June 2000 01:55 PM

Hi all ...

Visited my old man yesterday and he was telling me he had the un-timed practise sessions as well, on some German channel or other .... I rushed home to watch it and guess what ....... a 3.5 hour power cut http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/frown.gif ... what's worse it would come on then cut off after only 20 seconds or so ... not impressed.

So ended up watching the last 20 laps .. trying to piece together what had gone on ... I just can't believe the amount that was missed by the Canadian producer ..... surprised we even got MS going over the line .... not as if I wanted to though ...

c'mon DC ....

K

Aero 19 June 2000 01:57 PM

If you go along and look carefully through the circle of ITV trucks, there are BBC trailers hidden away in there. ITV outsource the actual recording and transmission to the BBC because they don't have the equipment.
They should stream the adverts across the top of the screen rather than break for adverts. (and allow you to cut them off via 16:9. http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/smile.gif

Markus 19 June 2000 02:01 PM

Rant mode on

I've written to the BBC time and time again asking when they are going to bring back rally report in the EVENING and NOT in the bloody afternoon when I'm at work (OK, we'll over look the fact that the 5300 on my desk has TV Tuner card, and an areial stuck in the back http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/wink.gif). They alway say that it's down to the scheduling deparment and they have to cater for all tastes, blah, blah,blah. At least they've not said 'why don't you use a video' If they did I'd simply say, that the last thing I have on my mind before I hit the road is to set the bloody video for 13:10 to record the rally report! I've not got time.

Maybe with BBC Digital they'll get of their collective arses and use it for rally stuff instead of the crap they spout out on it at the moment.

grrr! it's hot enough in the office without me thinking about this!!!

rant mode off

Richard F 20 June 2000 08:53 AM

Dunno if this is still the case but when we had analogue satellite, you could turn over to the german channel RTL who had the rights to show GPs in Germany. They generally don't have the same ad break schedule so you get to watch the pictures (that's if you don't understand German).

Dunno if they still show it though...

Dippy 20 June 2000 01:23 PM

I was in Malta during the British GP so I had to watch it on Italian TV (I can't remember which channel). There were no ad breaks, instead there was a constant ad banner across the top of the picture, and occasionally a small ad window would appear along the edge of the screen.

At first I found this very irritating, especially since the pop-up ads were accompanied by a loud 'ping'. But then when I remembered that if I had been watching ITV then I would be missing huge segments of the action.

On reflection I think I would prefer the Italian method of presenting irritating adverts.

Of course I'd prefer no ads at all, but we can't expect the BBC to buy F1 rights when their wasting our fee money on DAB and DTV when many of us either don't want it or can't receive it!

subverbal 20 June 2000 11:29 PM

I really don't like ITV. Second rate in almost every department.

It was great when the BBC and Eurosport had the rights. Proper uninterrupted coverage on the beeb - and every single second of track time shown again and again on Eurosport. It was almost impossible to miss any action.

But all this pales into insignificance....no more Match of the Day ! Highlights on ITV aarrgghhhhh.

GranTurismo 21 June 2000 06:22 PM

Hello,

XRS I am 28 but have a mind like a steel trap, Also because I detest all non motorsports I have enough room to remember such things.

I like ITV and the best thing I can say is that since ITV had the coverage I have missed very few GP wheres as BBC burried it among lotsof other rubbish if they even bothered at all. Also becuase they are loosing the fag sponsorship the fact that new sponsors can tie the car capmain in with TV ads during the race should help. F1 is very expensive so they nee all the revenu they can get, add during a race is worth it in my opinion, lets be honest how much "action" is there to miss anyway.

The BBC dont care about sport becuase they get paid by us whatever, if we dont pay they send round the boys with the vans and FINE US. ITV have to attract viewers to get ads thefore they actually try to do something that prople watch.

I HOPE that ITV get the RALLYING becuase the will do something with it!!!

GranTurismo 21 June 2000 06:25 PM

And another thing.....

Now the BBC have got Superbikes of Sky my biker mates are well narked becuase the BBC dont show all the action etc etc ect.

They did keep that rather nice female presenter though!