ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   ABS Light Just Come On - MY99 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/156546-abs-light-just-come-on-my99.html)

Otto-Mate 05 December 2002 12:03 PM

It's booked into dealers on Monday. I've only had the car a month :(

Any idea what this is likely to be? Do sensors give problems? Cars only done 38K and has FSSH.

HELLOM8 05 December 2002 12:40 PM

Never heard of the ABS light coming on. Get your post back to the top though.
Cheers.
Ian.

RB5320 05 December 2002 12:58 PM

low brake fluid? just guessing.

Stephen Read 05 December 2002 01:01 PM

I needed a new wheel sensor to cure this on mine when it happend.

Paul_M 05 December 2002 01:11 PM

Most likely a wheel sensor, they can get caked with dirt or if you're unlucky hit by a small stone etc.

The brake fluid warning is a different light, one with (!) symbol shared with the handbrake warning. Unless I'm getting the scoob mixed up with my other car lol!

speedstermick 05 December 2002 01:37 PM

could be the sensor on the wheel hub broke or covered in mud.mine broke about 2mm of end of sensor after hitting a pot hole or clipped a kerb causing hub to move slightly and clipping end of sensor off.dont think it is low brake fluid as thats a different light on dash board.hope this helps.

mick

my 96 prodive.

Otto-Mate 05 December 2002 01:38 PM

Thanks Guys. Any idea how much I should expect to pay for new sensor and fitting?

Shark 05 December 2002 01:49 PM

It is normally the connetor for the wheel sensors under the rear seats. Seen it several times, and the wheel sensor does not need to be changed.

David

Otto-Mate 05 December 2002 01:53 PM

Hmmm...that's very interesting! I drove the car home from work - no light on. Went out again about 10 mins later...with the 2 little ones in the back seat and the light was on!

I'll mention this to the dealer on Monday. Thanks.

STi wanna Subaru 05 December 2002 04:33 PM

Shark,

Have you ever known the Select monitor not be able to 'speak' to the ABS unit? My car has the light on and at the recent service they told me that they could not get any information from the ABS unit. It's in next week for them to check it out. MY99 by the way

Thanks

Guy

Shark 05 December 2002 04:38 PM

Guy

The only thing the Select Monitor dosen't do is SRS. It is possible however that the fault you have is not shown. As I said before, in all but one case of ABS light on we have had, it has been the O/S/R or N/S/R wheel sensor connector under the back seat.

David

STi wanna Subaru 05 December 2002 04:53 PM

David,

The problem is that they aren't getting any info back from the ABS unit. They can't get it to connect. I just wondered if this is something you have experienced.

Thanks for the reply

Guy

Shark 05 December 2002 05:54 PM

Guy

Although I've never heard of it I guess that it's possible that your ABS ECU is not showing any fault or that the Select Monitor is not communicating with ECU. Perhaps suggest to your dealer that they swap the ECU from another car. Failing that they should be able to order one from IM, fit it and try that. Provided they seek authority and keep the packaging, they could send the unit back with no charge if that doesn't cure the problem. If they’re on their toes they'll know that anyway ;)

David

STi wanna Subaru 05 December 2002 06:16 PM

Thanks David :) Helpfull as always

Cheers

Guy

Shark 05 December 2002 07:39 PM

Thanks Guy

But I am wondering why this hasn't been moved yet Mods :p ;) :D

David

Otto-Mate 09 December 2002 03:18 PM

SHARK - you d'man!!! :)

Just back from my dealer and it WAS the connector under the back seat as you said. Sorted by the dealer and no charge.

Thanks again!