ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Free Mod - Improve MPG - Same Power!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/155148-free-mod-improve-mpg-same-power.html)

pslewis 30 November 2002 05:56 PM

Just had a thought - yes, I know - what comes next?? ;)

However, that scoop on the bonnet ..... hardly aids the aerodynamics of the car and wastes petrol by having to push the car through the air being restricted by the scoop. Where does the air go after the intercooler? out under the car? LIFTING the car and losing grip :eek:

Now, how about we take our scoops OFF?? smooth over the slot and have an aerodynamic bonnet!!

The reason Subaru have NO vents on the BugEye is to improve the mpg by 5% :eek:

I calculate that the loss in power will be MORE than made up in the better airflow over the car AND result in a 10% saving in fuel!!

Sorted - what do you think??

This is NOT for the muppets either!! Its a serious suggestion!! :D

Pete

ricco 30 November 2002 06:00 PM

Hehehe... If that was the case, then we'd all drive Sports:eek:

;)

pslewis 30 November 2002 06:04 PM

YES, I am going to swap my bonnet for a sport bonnet - I have a friend who has a sport and he would like my scoop and such, he is welcome to them!!

Ok, his sport is red and my Turbo is DBM but its a small price to pay for 22mpg instead of 20!!

WITH NO LOSS OF POWER REMEMBER!!

:D Pete :D

FASTER MIKE!! 30 November 2002 06:06 PM

i take it this is the "real" pslewis
oh and the bug eye does have a scoop just no vents ;)

flame suit on

STi wanna Subaru 30 November 2002 06:09 PM

When your temps go through the roof and your engine goes bang then the few pounds you've saved on fuel will be the last thing on your mind

pslewis 30 November 2002 06:10 PM

Yes the REAL!! ;)

And I DID say vents NOT scoop on the BugEye - go back and re-read it ;)

You think it a good idea then Father??

Pete

pslewis 30 November 2002 06:12 PM

STi - why would temp go UP?? doesnt happen on a Sport?? Same engine - also the intercooler will STILL get air, just NOT rammed in and it will be warmer air.

The intercooler doesnt cool the engine at all!!

Pete

FASTER MIKE!! 30 November 2002 06:13 PM

i stand corercted, so why don`t you leave the SCOOP and smooth over the VENTS

FASTER MIKE!! 30 November 2002 06:14 PM

because the sport does`nt have a turbo ;) and that creates the heat

pslewis 30 November 2002 06:15 PM

I have already smoothed over the vents with some filler - that was easy and I gained 2% improvement in mpg. Its just that BIG carbunkle sticking out the top just uses fuel up at an alarming rate!! :(

Pete

FASTER MIKE!! 30 November 2002 06:18 PM

think your extracting the urine

pslewis 30 November 2002 06:18 PM

AHA - but the air that passes through the intercooler goes NOWHERE near the Turbo - so it wouldnt have any affect either way!!

Anyway - I ALWAYS drive UNDER 3000 RPM so as to keep the turbo as cool as I can ........... because as we all know it keeps spinning when the engine is turned off :D

Pete

ricco 30 November 2002 06:19 PM

So how did you come by this calculation?? Surely the scoop doesn't create THAT much drag??

Besides, i'd rather have the scoop for the sake of a few pounds i might save on fuel;)

LG John 30 November 2002 06:27 PM

The intercooler needs air flowing through it to work correctly. Without a scoop to feed it the charge temps would go through the roof would they not. This would lead quickly to det and then everything would go bang - you'd also get a lot less power with the higher charge temps. Your idea would be ideal if combined with a FMIC :)

But then I like the mean bonnet look :D

Pavlo 30 November 2002 06:28 PM

pslewis, are you on drugs today?

are they any good?

dhorwich 30 November 2002 06:30 PM

why not take the wing mirrors off too.....:rolleyes:

Dan:D

[Edited by dhorwich - 11/30/2002 6:31:09 PM]

LG John 30 November 2002 06:44 PM

When the turbo compresses the nice cool air from outside the car it heats it up - energy is applied in a system that isn't 100% efficient, hence heat as a by-product. The whole point of the intercooler is to cool it back down before its forced into the engine. If you don't like someone with a scooby block their scoop and hope they don't notice ;)

Pavlo 30 November 2002 06:51 PM

hook, line and sinker....

Alas 30 November 2002 06:54 PM

Why not just go in reverse all the time to offset the drag from the scoop. Or follow a caravan.:D
Alasdair

bluto22b 30 November 2002 07:06 PM

Peter, if you are so worried about mpg and drag, why did you choose an Impreza Turbo. :confused:....Blutes

LG John 30 November 2002 07:07 PM

I suspect your right Pavlo but there are bound to be some readers that wonder why the scoop is needed.

Sprint Chief 30 November 2002 07:22 PM

Ah great.

Are these similar to the sort of cost savings you aim to make at work? If so I think I should move a bit further away from AWE than I presently am. Like Australia.

PS> It's not just an efficiency thing, basic physics - when you compress a gas, it gets hotter, when you expand it, it gets cold - exactly how fridges work. Look up general gas law on the internet if you are really bored!

pslewis. 30 November 2002 07:23 PM

In actual fact if I did own a Subaru I wouldn't be talking out of my as$e like this. The reason Subaru have NO vents on the BugEye is to improve the mpg by 5% and yes it does work. I should stop calling it the bugeye because I feel it is actually a very good looking car especially with the cut out in the boot lining for the jack with a special doorway for it to house. Smart. :D

Pete

pslewis 30 November 2002 07:28 PM

Hes back the dreamer who would be me!!

Ignore the sad loser ;)

Pete

pslewis. 30 November 2002 07:33 PM

Dreamer ? Haven't I caught on yet ? Oh yes I like the bugeye after all. So much so I bought one with gold wheels:D What does my other half drive ? Oh I drive a classic:D

PeteII

pslewis 30 November 2002 07:35 PM

You know something? I am NOT a violent person but if I get ONE wiff of where you are, You will be removing a keyboard from your rear end. Dont say I didnt tell you!!

Pete

pslewis. 30 November 2002 07:40 PM

I am physically shaking in my plimsoles
http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/cold.gif

PeteII

pslewis 30 November 2002 07:44 PM

I would LOVE to see your face if I appeared from around the back of your monitor!! You are very sad while hiding behind a computer imagine how sad you would be in REAL life??

Does your mummy know you are on the PC at 7:45pm??

Pete

LG John 30 November 2002 08:11 PM

> It's not just an efficiency thing....
Your quite right :) I just didn't want to go into too much detail! Bottom line is turbochargers create a lot of heat and the intercooler takes it away again. Someone recently posted up a good link about how turbo engines work...I think it was to the 'How things work' website.

pslewis. 30 November 2002 08:16 PM

>Does your mummy know you are on the PC at 7:45pm??....
I hope so, I am waiting for her to contact me via MSN Messenger, she hasn't logged on yet:D

PeteII