ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   What's the correct tyre rotation? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/151503-whats-the-correct-tyre-rotation.html)

Nimbus 18 November 2002 11:53 AM

I need to rotate the tyres but not sure how they should be rotated on an Impreza. Is it Rear to front same side, then front to rear swapped, or the other way round?

Anyone know?

Scooby Dooby Blue 18 November 2002 12:33 PM

Rear to front, same side.
Keep the tread pointing forwards.

Paul

Nimbus 18 November 2002 12:42 PM

But swapping the sides for the front to rear?

I know I'll have to get them taken off the rims and revered, to make sure the tred is in the right direction ;)

Scooby Dooby Blue 18 November 2002 12:50 PM

But swapping the sides for the front to rear?
Shouldn't be an issue if your geometry is okay.

Nimbus 18 November 2002 01:02 PM

I thought that you needed to do this anyway? I'm sure I saw a website somewhere where it showed you what the rotation was, but can not find it now. Hence the question.

Dave T-S 18 November 2002 01:28 PM

It depends what tyres you have fitted. If they are directional, they can only be swopped front to rear, on same sides.

If they are directional, the rotation will be shown with an arrow on the sidewall (and, again, depending on the tyre, they may also be shown as "outside" if they only go one way on the rim).

[Edited by Dave T-S - 11/18/2002 1:31:00 PM]

Nimbus 18 November 2002 01:42 PM

Dave,

You misunderstand. I *know* that the tyres are direction dependant (there F1s btw). What I'm talking about is how I should move the tyres from on wheel to another to make sure the tyre wear is even. I know that this will involve taking the tyres off and refitting them to ensure the direction is correct.

I'm *sure* I saw a website stating how it should be done on an AWD car. I just need to find it.

swan 19 November 2002 11:29 AM

I was told (and do) front to back, back to front i.e. no cross over.

Dave T-S 19 November 2002 02:44 PM

Nimbus
Ok, with you. I don't know if the F1 has an outside and inside as well as being directional, if it does you will *only* be able to change them front to back, same side.

If you do change tyres across the axle from, say, FNS to FOS and vice versa, you have to do it often (probably every 2-3000 miles) to get rid of camber wear patterns and its not really worth the hassle of removing the tyres from the wheels.

With six Imprezas i've only ever moved them from front to rear, same side, (always about every 3000 miles, but easier if you don't have to take them off the wheels) and can normally coincide wearing out all four simultaneously, which has to be the objective, so you can put a brand new set of four on without wasting any unused rubber:D

[Edited by Dave T-S - 11/19/2002 2:46:22 PM]

Nimbus 19 November 2002 03:26 PM

AFAIK, the F1s don't have an inside or outside. I'm going to get them swapped anyway. I've looked on some websites and there recomendation for 4WD is Back to Front same side, the cross the front to back.

Thanks for the comments BTW...

[Edited by Nimbus - 11/19/2002 3:28:45 PM]