ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Which dumpvalve's best? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/151394-which-dumpvalves-best.html)

siwrx 18 November 2002 12:11 AM

ive heard that vta dumpvalves can make the early impreza wrx stall. My m8 had a blitz one and after the woosh his car revs used to drop. ive heard this is due to the diaphram taking too long to close, are there any that dont cause these problems?

T3RBO 18 November 2002 01:47 AM

Got a Baileys in mine and never had any problems...

siwrx 18 November 2002 02:15 AM

what model is it though? the post 97 turbos with the intercooler bolt on dv seem to be fine, its just the earlier ones that are a prob

e-volve 18 November 2002 10:42 AM

the older style dump valves did use and still do ,with great results use a small hard edged rubber diapharm that in some case with split or turn inside out on thems selfs. having said this they do the job so its all down to cash. i personaly would go for a piston type dump valve, much better and solid moving parts opose to the rubber ones.
I run a HKS SSQV, very costly for what they are, but i got it at the right price ( im a big fan of deals ). As for your mates revs dropping, that realy should not happen, could be one of a few things, split diaphram, vacume hose cracked, he's changing gears like a girl...lol or he is simpley holding the gear change too long so he can hear the "PPPHHHCccsshhhhhhhhhhhh"................
A Dump valve will decrease the spool up time by getting rid of unwanted back pressure that would stall the turbines hence quicker car,....yayay....not in any way slow it down ...unless its screwed//

hope it helps a bit

jay

[Edited by e-volve - 11/18/2002 11:05:42 AM]

siwrx 19 November 2002 04:41 PM

so a decent dumpvalve shouldnt cause me any hesitation/stalling problems. would quite like a vta as im sure blockin the pipes for wastegate chatter (which was the other option and does sound the tits) probably isnt good for my car lol

e-volve 19 November 2002 04:55 PM

you still will get a little wastegate chatter but this changes depending on what setup you are running ( filter blowoff valve )

sounds great and as someone in one of my posts regarding dumpvalve noise said, they sound totaly unique, and nothing like those F**king punto turbos....lol.......

I love the HKS one it cherps and then "Phhhhchhhhsssss" very fast release.......

ev

siwrx 19 November 2002 04:57 PM

what age / model scoob u got m8?

e-volve 19 November 2002 05:03 PM

its a N reg WRX
full HKS setup, Induction kit ( metal flow) HSK SSVQ and a Hiper

siwrx 19 November 2002 05:06 PM

wicked. Heard good things bout the hks dumpvalve. My m8 has the same year wrx as me and the blitz unit was **** on his car... think i may have to invest in a hks one

e-volve 19 November 2002 05:25 PM

they look and sound great, if you look on ebay you can pick one up for as little as £100, there is a guy on there that imports slightly used parts for jap cars, a lot of Civic and Prelude stuff but anm amazing amount of performance parts.
just do a search on ebay for HKS and you will see him, he has loads for sale

ev

siwrx 19 November 2002 05:28 PM

bugger that sounds a lot better than 250 lol will look now

siwrx 20 November 2002 02:06 PM

spoke to a bloke selling a hks vta off his 94 wrx and he said its a bucket of **** and causes the same stalling problem (good salesman lol) anyone know of one that definately wont cause this problem as im loathed to shell out for something i have to sell after a week coz it doesnt run right

e-volve 20 November 2002 02:18 PM

well ive ran mine for months and ive had no problems at all.
MMMMmmm thats an intresting fact...........a few of my friends run thoses valves on Evo's and Scoobys but they as well as i have never had such a problem...

nom 20 November 2002 02:21 PM

HKS causes no problems. Nuffink. Except for the noise. Which is someone else's problem... :)

siwrx 20 November 2002 02:22 PM

lol this is confusing now, half the people i speak to say they havent had any problems at all, the others say the cars stall, perform like ****, idle badly lol

what ages are both your cars guys? also are they jap imports or uk spec

e-volve 20 November 2002 02:23 PM

hahhahahahaahha

you gotta admit nom......its a totaly sweet disscharge noise

[Edited by e-volve - 11/20/2002 2:24:00 PM]

e-volve 20 November 2002 02:26 PM

mines a N reg jap import wrx running standard boost.
only mods are a HKS full stainless Hiyper system and a Hybrid HKS Metal flow induction kit and an Apexi Turbo timer.....thats it.
soon to be added and APexi Power Fc and an AVC-R...........

MMMmmmm now where's that 60-grand 911 gone again!!!!