ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   calling all developers! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/150577-calling-all-developers.html)

super_si 14 November 2002 10:33 PM

Scenario
The modern business world is fast moving and turbulent. Information overload is already here and operational systems compound the problem collecting millions of bytes of additional data every day. Improved responsiveness, faster time to market, flexibility, manoeuvrability, and productivity are all seen as a necessary, indeed essential ingredient of competitive advantage.

Tasks
Produce a briefing document describing the key trends in technologies that are now being used to provide business, computing solutions. In addition to technical issues you should identify the rationale behind the use of the technologies identified making them attractive and relevant to modern business needs and strategy. Your paper should contain real business examples to illustrate the type of information processing and business problems being addressed.

i dont have aclue where to start! at all!

Pitch your ideas in ;)

David_Wallis 14 November 2002 11:25 PM

Speak to your tutor. :p

IWatkins 15 November 2002 12:45 AM

Sorry, I fell asleep after the first couple of words.... :)

Mention two-tier, multi-tier, server2server, business2business systems. Throw in XML, SOAP, .Net and any other buzzwords you can think of.

That should do the job.

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by IWatkins - 11/15/2002 12:46:37 AM]

super_si 15 November 2002 07:47 AM

Thank you something for me to go on.
I know he's being moaning about Object Orientated + Data warehouses aswell

Si

chiark 15 November 2002 08:48 AM

Bit old hat, but mention intra,intra and extranets. Explain VPN and its benefits to workers and partners. Security would be a good thing to cover off, and you might want to mention that OASIS has just ratified SAML (STFW ;) )

SOAP and XML for B2B deserve quite a bit of attention, but as an anecdote we've just delivered a system that does NOT use XML for data formatting but sticks to ASCII. The reason? Performance, especially when running over processing over 20 million statements (not records) in a small window of time...

Whatever you do, make sure you understand what you're writing otherwise you'll find that you can get yourself caught out very quickly. Stick with this attitude in working life too, as you WILL meet someone who can out bullsh1t you ;)

Nick.

GaryK 15 November 2002 08:59 AM

Si,

you could start with something like CRM (Customer Relationship Management) thats big biz. and has been for some time. Best examples of this are loyalty card schemes, talk about they are were originally developed as a loyalty incentive followed by tracking what a customer buys to building systems to target offers specific to customers buying patterns.

Nick raises a good point about technology for technologies sake. Dont believe the hype regarding XML and .Net, often in the real world it is the shortest solution not the one that uses the latest technologies that gets implemented. Im sure you'll catch me on MSN if you need to know more but you would do yourself a favour to look at industry news sites (zdnet, cw360, vnunet, theregister) to look at trends and opinions to learn about what is going on!

cheers

Gary

super_si 15 November 2002 09:00 AM

XML's the modelling language isnt it? Think ive briefly touched upon that.

Cheers, this is very good info.

Si

chiark 15 November 2002 09:11 AM

erm, learn what it is before writing anything about it mate :)

All it is is an extensible markup language for formatting data, that's it...

...but the uses are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

Nick.

super_si 15 November 2002 09:12 AM

I think ive covert that in Quality Managment + Software Engineering last year. Dig out the old notes i think. Might even read Ian Sommerville :D

chiark 15 November 2002 09:57 AM

Don't think Somerville will cover it, unless it's been radically updated...

SJ_Skyline 15 November 2002 10:02 AM

Simple essay here:

"Outsource to SAP and chuck a bundle of notes at them"

;)

Dream Weaver 15 November 2002 10:06 AM

Not forgetting Content Management Systems for intranets and websites. This seemed to be big news at last weeks Internet World North Expo. i.e. lots of companies trying to sell CMS.

super_si 15 November 2002 10:12 AM

:eek:

lot reading then

ChristianR 03 December 2002 05:39 PM

and he still hasn't even started it yet!!!

Oh yeah, and he is top of his class - what is the world coming too!!!

stevem2k 03 December 2002 05:41 PM

CMS , CRM and corporate portals should do the trick

gregh 03 December 2002 05:50 PM

talk about mobility solutions, wireless, PDA, XDA, Blackberry, GPRS, GPS, WiFi etc etc

super_si 03 December 2002 05:52 PM

cheeky ****.

Big deal not hard

500 words each on E Commerce, Client Server architecture, Data Warehousing and Object Orientated Programming/dev.

beemerboy 03 December 2002 06:06 PM

http://www.kontron.com/techlib/whitepapers/5001.pdf

then CTRL-C, CTRL-V, then go down the pub!!!

BB;)

super_si 03 December 2002 06:12 PM

Thanks mate much appreciated, at least some people help :D

beemerboy 03 December 2002 06:14 PM

no worries....
good luck. I started to read it but got a fookin headache after 3 paragraphs...

BB;)

super_si 03 December 2002 06:18 PM

Cheers mate, gonna be along night.

And gary k's just come online :D

super_si 03 December 2002 06:44 PM

592 words on e-commerce with CMR still to do , easy :D

super_si 06 December 2002 11:15 AM

Just finished :D