ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   "The Driving between stages by supporters and competitiors was (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/150488-the-driving-between-stages-by-supporters-and-competitiors-was.html)

Group Captain Smudger 14 November 2002 05:43 PM

...downright dangerous last year. We can't let that happen again," said a spokeswoman for the Safety Camera Partnership (i.e. that is those modern day robber barons the plod). This appeared in the Welsh Daily Mirror yesterday under the headline, "Speed blitz on rally men". "The blitz is being carried out, [etc., etc.]"

How thoughtful of them to have only our safety as their paramount concern during the Rally of GB.

DMB 14 November 2002 05:48 PM

LOL i can see the coppers now "who do you think you are Richard Burns?" loads of rear shots of WRC's as well no doubt :rolleyes:

mbc 14 November 2002 07:11 PM

my number plates gonna get splattered in mud cos dem welsh rallys really get muddy , i learnt my lesson last year, 3 points arghhhhhhhhhhh, not this year;)

mike :D

S55DRJ 14 November 2002 09:21 PM

I`m reliably informed by my plod mate (!) that they are booking at 32mph in the 30`s and similar on 40`s etc. in Dyfed Powys Police area for NetQ weekend.

Barnaby 14 November 2002 09:29 PM

It's a strange question I know, but if Burns or McRae get flashed while going between stages do they actually get points?

scrappydoo 14 November 2002 09:52 PM

Yep even the drivers get the points too. :)

phd 14 November 2002 09:53 PM

Good, Colin need all the points he can get.:D

Pete

owbow 14 November 2002 10:01 PM

:D phd

yeah they get points, probably all got 12, but mega expensive lawyers too... imagine the loss of earnings if one of them got banned for 12 months!!!

owain

EvilBevel 14 November 2002 10:09 PM

Barnaby ... a few months ago a Belgian rally driver got *banned* from driving after being flashed between 2 stages... his co-pilot had to take over to complete the next stage :rolleyes:

That was for doing 45 MPH in a 30 MPH stretch...

Technically, when not on stage, they are normal road occupants, having to follow the normal rules, roadworthyness, road side emmision tests, etc...

Barnaby 14 November 2002 10:26 PM

Blimey.

It's strangely amusing to think that a rally driver going at 80mph on a motorway would be considered dangerous :)

Sideways 15 November 2002 07:06 AM

I know someone that works for a rally team (maybe Subaru ;)) and he was asked when abroad to take the blame for someone's driving and take a 2 week ban so that said someone was able to rally ;)

hoonunit 15 November 2002 08:54 AM

As long as they only up the scrutiny in the built up areas i don't mind. Last year i had some fantastic high-speed drives through the valleys between stages but there were some people who didn't slow down through the villages. One impatient n*bber overtook a queue of slow traffic and ran a red light on the wrong side of the road, all at about 60mph in a 30 zone. And there were kids waiting to cross the street. It gives us a bad name and forces the police to clamp down which spoils the fun for everybody (except the chancellor, kerr-ching!)