ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Driving Light (PIAA, CIBIE,etc) comparison, buying guide. (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/150164-driving-light-piaa-cibie-etc-comparison-buying-guide.html)

matt.bowey 13 November 2002 09:05 PM

It strikes me that a large number of people would like to fit driving lamps in place of the front fogs. There is a lot of info already on here, but this is the current position :

I know of the following lamps:

1. Scoobysport Cibie 130W driving lamps - £199.75 available from the Scoobynet shop.

2. Scoobysport genuine driving light kit (TSL Motorsport) - £233.83 available from the Scoobynet shop.

3. PIAA PRO 80 - £250.00 available from DRM Motorsport (Inc white covers).

4. Scoobysport Cibie Oscar 130W - £170.00 Available from Scoobysport.

5. Cibie Oscar - £286.70 available from Scoobymania.

The PIAA PRO 80 look to be the ones to go for! Any body got any opinions/recomendations??

ozzy 13 November 2002 09:24 PM

I've got the PIAA ones on my RB5 and they are superb. It's worth considering the costs for replacement lenses and whether you can fit clear protectors to them.

I've just spent £50 getting a replacement lens and reflector (can't buy them seperatley) for one of my smashed PIAA spots :(

Stefan

mark@wrx 13 November 2002 09:39 PM

Changed my lights to Hella Comet 500 drive lights. Had to make own brackets to mount them and copied loom from friend who has SS Cibies. Now run them with 100w bulbs. Very good for the money!

Dave T-S 14 November 2002 08:51 AM

What about the Subaru/Prodrive Hella 1000FF halogen kit at about £199, or the Subaru/Prodrive Hella 1000FF xenon gas discharge kit at £795 ish?

I have the latter on my STi7, and they are miles better than amything else I have used (including PIAA).

chiark 14 November 2002 12:46 PM

The PIAAs get my vote, damned good.

ids 14 November 2002 07:12 PM

Boys

Get your frames down to your local Subaru dealer. Paid £105+VAT today for the pukka Prodrive/WR Sport Driving Lamp kit complete with FF1000's and 100w bulbs

Fitting tommorow.

Ids

Scooby Bloo 18 November 2002 10:43 AM

Piaa's on mine :D makes night time driving a pleasure (where applicable to use em )

cheeseboy 18 November 2002 01:04 PM

Ok, so you get much brighter "driving lights" - otherwise known as your fogs... I´ve seen all but a couple of these and am wondering when you actually use them?? And of course how they are set up? Height angle etc?

To use them safely surely they must have a deflector in front to create a semi circle of light?? This I havent seen on any of them.?

Point me out if you can...

Dave T-S 18 November 2002 01:34 PM

Driving lamps aren't fogs.

Driving lamps have to be wired so they come on with main beam and go out on dip as they have no dip deflector (which, if you think about it, would be defeating the point a bit:) )

cheeseboy 19 November 2002 11:46 AM

Ok, so you only get to use them with high beam - thats lovely, but a bit impractical - unless you live in the middle of nowhere... Here in Germany we can drive with fogs if it is raining, or foggy, or on snow areas - so they are more used to brighten the area infront and to the sides of your car. This is particularly helpful on the autobahn too - as the road lines become much more apparent - and it doesnt blind oncoming traffic.

matt.bowey 19 November 2002 01:41 PM

I live in the middle of nowhere!!!!

Buying them for the A68 to Scotland!!!

Dave T-S 19 November 2002 02:50 PM

cheeseboy
I, too, live in the middle of nowhere:D

Fogs only light up about 20 feet in front of the car and are pretty useless.

We also drive in the Alps anything up to six times a year, often from Munich airport, and know about Euro use of lamps:D

BTW, front fogs dazzle the users of the other side of the road badly if it isnt foggy - they have no horizontal beam cutoff like dip beam does, and go across the other lane/carriageway;)

[Edited by Dave T-S - 11/19/2002 2:52:22 PM]

TBMeech 19 November 2002 03:43 PM

Matt,

You are far better off buying Driving Lights, don't bother with fogs as Dave has rightly said they end up pi55ing other road users off big time, 90% of people who use them have them badly misaligned and use them for the so called 'pose' value.

I've got P1 Spots with 100w bulbs on my MY99 STI and a set of Morettes and the combination on main beam is stunning :)

CataIunya 19 November 2002 04:41 PM

Got some PIAA lights on mine and they are the boys....Like it has been said though get the clear covers.