ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Anyone Passed MOT Emissions Without Centre Cat? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/148667-anyone-passed-mot-emissions-without-centre-cat.html)

Nimbus 11 August 2002 04:27 PM

dodge,

I would have done this, except I have

6) Take MOT Cert to Post Office and get Tax Disk ASAP :)

If it failed without the cat, I would not have time to get it re-catted (?), and re-tested the same day AND get the tax on my car. Safer for me just to get the cat put back first.

Also, I didn't pay for the swap ;) and it only took 15 mins :D

[Edited by Nimbus - 11/8/2002 4:28:40 PM]

ragnarock 11 August 2002 08:50 PM

Edited due to double post

[Edited by ragnarock - 11/8/2002 8:51:45 PM]

Chris.Palmer 11 August 2002 11:30 PM

Ehh ? what ever happened to double post protection?

[Edited by Chris.Palmer - 11/8/2002 11:32:51 PM]

Nimbus 08 November 2002 03:29 PM

Got the MOT tomorrow, so just had the centre Cat re-fitted. I was half wondering if it was worth replacing it. Has anyones car passed the emissions with the cat removed? I would have tried without, but I needed it to pass ;)

It's on a UK MY95 BTW,

Puff The Magic Wagon! 08 November 2002 03:32 PM

Yup.

PTMW! with PPP which is BB & Centre De-Cat. No problems and well within limits. Chap didn't believe me when I said there wasn't one!

MY99

:)

Richard Askew 08 November 2002 03:32 PM

Yes, on the old Wagon - due to an aborted test cos the machine was "faulty" ;)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 08 November 2002 03:33 PM

Oh & make sure the cats you do have are sufficiently hot & hence @ their most efficient...

Nimbus 08 November 2002 03:34 PM

Maybe next year then, I'll try first de-catted :D. Must remember to book MOT in plenty of time ;)

Nimbus 08 November 2002 03:35 PM

BTW, non-mods can post here too ;)

CELL 08 November 2002 03:59 PM

Do you mean i didnt have to have the FULL standard system fitted for the MOT? :confused:

Cost me a damn fortune in labour to have them remove the full decat system, fit the standard one, then put the decat back on [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Puff The Magic Wagon! 08 November 2002 04:05 PM

LOL!!!

The downpipe cat is eficient enough (when working well) to pass the current emissions test.

Guess next year, you'll know better ;)

Sorry m8 - had to laugh!

ozzy 08 November 2002 04:07 PM

The downpipe cat is the important one. If it's in good working order, the car will fly through the emmissions test.

My car passed with ease with only the centre cat in.

Stefan

Dodge 08 November 2002 04:16 PM

MOTs.

Surely if you fail them due to a decat, you have to get the thing 'fixed' - i.e the cat put back.

Rather than
1) get the decat removed,
2) have the MOT,
3) pass it,
4) replace the decat,
5) go for an 'enthusiastic drive'

Why don't people do the following:
1) have the MOT, with the decat,
2) If you pass, go to (5)
3) If you fail, add the cat back and pass the test
4) take the cat out again
5) go for an 'enthusiastic drive'

If you passed the test with the decat, you save yourself the price and time of 2 unnecessary cat changes!

Dodge 08 November 2002 05:27 PM

Ah, well, fair enough!

I'd always assumed that a decat would fail drastically, until some of the recent postings - but in the light of these postings, (without your particular time constraints), "swap, test, swap" seems unnecessary. Or am I talking out of my decatted arse? I've no idea...

salsa-king 08 November 2002 06:00 PM

i passed last year and the year b4 without the Centre cat!

BUT today i've failed with a Full De Cat Zorst!! :( as if i thought it would pass with NON on!!!

Getting it sorted next week now! ;)

salsa-king 08 November 2002 06:02 PM

i passed last year and the year b4 without the Centre cat!

BUT today i've failed with a Full De Cat Zorst!! :( as if i thought it would pass with NON on!!!

Getting it sorted next week now! ;)

Markus 08 November 2002 06:10 PM

MY94 WRX Wagon with full decat, passed MOT with no problems. Not bragging, just adding info.

Paul_M 08 November 2002 06:54 PM

So will it pass OK with just the centre cat? That should be pretty easy to refit but I don't fancy having to swap the downpipe twice every MOT time!

BTW Mines a MY96.

ScoobyDoo555 08 November 2002 07:10 PM

My old MY95 passed wihtout a centre section CAT back in August (Scoobysport Centre Section & STi backbox)

Flew through :)

Dan

chrisp 08 November 2002 08:21 PM

My RA only has a DP cat as standard from the factoryy and was SVA in that form. Flew through an MOT recently DPcat/TSL centre/SSBB.

ragnarock 08 November 2002 08:50 PM

My UK MY98 passed with no cats whatsoever on! Just needed to be run "HOT"

Chris.Palmer 08 November 2002 11:28 PM

All,

Centre CAT is pretty inefficient (remember P1s are Centre Catless as standard).

A Scooby with non-nackered Downpipe CAT & decat centre will easily pass an MOT.

A Scooby with non-nackered Centre CAT & Decat Downpipe sould pass an MOT after a spirited run (20 mins) to ensure the centre cat is up to full operating temperature.

I have heard of Fully decatted Scoobs - after a good run - passing an MOT if run High Octane (ie Optimax + RON Booster + Fuel Catalyst etc) - but this *IS* rare.

Chris.

PS - If you want performance & guaranteed MOT Pass look for High Flow CATs - Performance of a full Decat but with a single CAT capable of passing an MOT - expensive to buy - but in the long term probably cheaper than swapping pipes in and out for MOTs.

BoxerFlat4 09 November 2002 10:34 AM

Fully de-catted STI 1 - passed MOT fine. :D