ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   How expensive! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/148396-how-expensive.html)

T3RBO 07 November 2002 10:16 PM

I have just spend over £1000 having a few bits done to the scooby!

Originally the clutch was slipping, turned out needed new clutch plus fly wheel and gearbox rebuild due to having no dipstick in gearbox...

Whilst car was away it had a full service which showed up new discs and pads were needed on front and apparently it takes nearly 3 1/2 hours to change plugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Car as of 7 o clock this morning it went to the body shop for a full re spray due to scrape to front and rear bumpers and mis matched colour on turbo vent (is being de locked as well)

Only had the car just over a week - really glad I bought it :D

It was really nice to drive it last night for all of 20 mins to test new up rated brakes etc

Once back from sprayers I will need a full tune then a de limit to really test it out...

Selling my M3 really soon to finance my new hobby :D :D

Cord 07 November 2002 10:18 PM

3 and a half hours to change the plugs!!!! what do they do? have a trained hamster to gnaw them away??

springbok 07 November 2002 10:26 PM

Rob, Where did you take it for the work, Ashburton?

T3RBO 07 November 2002 10:33 PM

No, use a mate and friend of a friend!

I know a lot of people in the trade and 'tend' to get things done cheaper

Clutch etc was done outta town (I know that was cheap as have receipt in FSH for £500 two yrs ago for new clutch and flywheel)

Re spray will also be very reasonable (none of this 2K milarki) and will be bare metal, oven baked etc

Still a shock paying over 1k for work WITHOUT spray!

Robb

russell hayward 07 November 2002 10:44 PM

Most peeps can do plugs in less than an hour !

T3RBO 07 November 2002 11:00 PM

Not really that bother how long it took, just how much it cost!

Labour charge was very minimal in comparision to work done...

ThePoorMansScooby 07 November 2002 11:18 PM

I want to fit some new plugs! got them ages ago but looks like i've got to take loads of stuff off to get at them or do Subaru have a special bending tool to get at them? just wondered cause my plugs must have covered 25K+ and i got a new set just lying about collecting dust

EVOLUTION 08 November 2002 12:08 AM

Sounds like a hell of a deal. I got a full 60k service, inc cambelt, clutch, something done to the flywheel (lightened i think) all for £700.

Dr Hu 08 November 2002 09:29 AM

Subaru Dealers have a special Spark Plug socket - basically a very deep/long one, which holds the plug. It also has a knurled end to enable you to run the socket round by hand, without struggling with the ratchet all the way in/out.

You can use a normal plug socket and a short extension bar, privided that the socket & extension dont protrude too much out of the head cover, otherwise you can't get a ratchet on the end.

It is a job most people hate!