ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Help - screw in tyre what to do? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/147766-help-screw-in-tyre-what-to-do.html)

Dyney 11 July 2002 09:19 PM

I found a place that fills the hole with molten rubber and melts the surrounding tyre. They guarantee the repair and can do it on all performance tyres!!!!:):):)

They can do this repair closer to the edge of the tyre than a patch too!

And it only costs £10 a tyre!!!!:D

Only problem is it's in Sutton, but there must be other places using this technique:rolleyes:

Iain.

[Edited by Dyney - 11/7/2002 9:20:44 PM]

Jonathan Miles 06 November 2002 09:42 AM

Got back to the scoob last night to find a 3 inch screw embedded in the rear O/S must have picked it up yesterday morning. Quick job to replace with the get you home yellow job but I have a dilemma.

There is approx 5-6mm left on all the tyres and they are F1 GS-D2's good for another few thousand miles I reckon.

Is it worth getting it repaired? Can it be done? Also if I just replaced the tyre with a new one what are the likely consequences?

This is a major ball ache as my job is looking wobbly and it's likely I will have to sell in teh next few months anyway and don't fancy shelling out c.£400 on a new set if I can avoid it (especially as the *expensive* 30k service is due this month and its only done 23k!)

Advice please!

Thanks

J

ozzy 06 November 2002 10:00 AM

J,

As long as it's not in the sidewall, then there should be no probs fixing them. I had 4 nails in various tyres on my original P-Zero's. Did 20K on them without any problems.

Just had one of my Eagle F1's repaired due to a nail in it. Again, no problems.

They can't fix the sidewall and I can't ever see the tyre exploding because of a plug coming loose where the nail/screw made a hole. Worst I can see ever happening is the hole getting bigger or say the plug does pop-out, it would be a soft deflation.

Take the car along to a reputable garage and they'll tell you there and then if it's repairable or not.

Stefan

Jonathan Miles 06 November 2002 10:02 AM

cheers m8

Jonathan Miles 06 November 2002 10:56 AM

Just checked with my Tyre man and he says it can be fixed

Canuck 07 November 2002 05:48 PM

Believe it or not I think that Kwik-fit will do those plug repairs for free.
Check it out!

powerman 07 November 2002 06:43 PM

JM
It wont need plugging a internal patch will do and should cost about £5.00,i had the same problem.If its in the side wall or very near then bin it.
Powerman

paul w 07 November 2002 09:24 PM

Yep kwick fit fix the puncture for free you have to pay for a new valve and balance though 5 or six quid,they pull a rubber bit through and glue it,had one done a year ago no probs since.

dhorwich 07 November 2002 09:26 PM

kwik fit do free puncture repair, but you have to pay for valve and balancing...

Dan

Ricky81 STi 08 November 2002 09:54 AM

Yeah no problem fixing it as long as it's not in the sidewall, a simple tubless patch will do the job, we do hundreds of them every week.

Jonathan Miles 11 November 2002 01:46 PM

Thanks everyone

Got it fixed in 15 mins by my tyre chap for £7 which as far as I am concerned is a bargain!

J :):)