ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   lightening the car? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/147727-lightening-the-car.html)

HKSubaru 11 June 2002 02:36 AM

what parts are mostly taken out which make up a lot of the weight and arent very needed? i'm going to try and lighten the car as much as poss without being silly as the zmas shopping is weighing me down! ;) :D

or parts that could be changed i.e. bonnet.

[Edited by HKSubaru - 11/6/2002 2:37:18 AM]

barge 06 November 2002 08:16 AM

early cars had a ally bonnet.

to save weight.

remove rear seats, remove all carpets & sound deadening material, remove door cards, remove electric window motors, remove fuel tank & get a foam packed bag in the boot, remove spare wheel & carry a car of tyre inflator spray.
have exhaust exit in front of rear wheels, removing the rear back box.
get light weight wheels
remove abs, aircon
remove sun roof if you have one
remove all glass & replace with light weight glass
go on a diet

dnb 06 November 2002 09:54 AM

I think there's an ali boot lid as well.

STE.W. 06 November 2002 10:58 AM

First you must watch some of those scary weather programmes and study the way they can detect storms coming in.

When you have the hang of storm chasing attach a large copper tipped steel conductor to the top of your roof.

Then locate a good hill preferably with a nice veiw and park at the top.

Make sure you have good tyres - something like Toyos I think and you MUST make sure your fuses are uprated. You dont want to lose your radio fuse and have to mess about with reprogramming the codes.

Be patient, it may take a few tries to get the hang of it.

Once the lightning has struck you should be able to reach 88mph @ 21.1 giggawatts Marty! :D :D :D

Sorry - thought you said Lightning!
I'll get me coat.

Ste.;)

harvey 07 November 2002 01:42 AM

Smaller battery. Remove towing eyes. Remove harmonic weights on rear frame and propshaft cover. If you are extreme then junk the air con. Alloy pulley wheels and so on.
Have reduced my wagon tare from 1365kg to 1260kg without stripping carpets or altering appearance.

K9VYN [Kevin W] 07 November 2002 06:59 AM

HKS,

Is your car a UK turbo? Don't they have steel wishbones? The Jap cars (or at least the early ones ) to my knowledge, get alluminium ones - might perhaps make a saving there!

HKSubaru 07 November 2002 11:37 AM

thnkas guys, will be doing some lightening up then, my car is a uk turbo.

dowser 07 November 2002 11:38 AM

That's pretty impressive Harvey - was there more than you listed to get down to that level?

Cheers
Richard

scunnered 07 November 2002 04:28 PM

you could also try going on a diet ;)

Seriously though, losing weight in various places around the car must alter the c.o.g. Could this maybe have adverse consequeces with the haldling and balance of the car? Just a thought.

jonny gav 07 November 2002 08:39 PM

hksubaru- why the sudden interest in performance???

thought you were more of a styling man :D

something happen???

harvey 08 November 2002 01:35 AM

Richard: I would have to think very hard to remember everything I have done to reduce weight and some things like the alloy wishbones were marginal. If you want me to try and compile a more comprehensive list then mail me per profile.
Basically if I see something that serves no purpose or can be replaced by a lightened item I sort it. Even made an alloy gear lever and currently have no alternator tensioner.

MATTeL 08 November 2002 02:45 PM

HKSubaru

If you want to lighten look at rotational weight first.

1kg saved there is about 14kgs on the body!