ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Anyone had their motor taken by customs? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/144299-anyone-had-their-motor-taken-by-customs.html)

MelTypeR 25 October 2002 03:46 PM

The reason i ask this is i am getting married soon and want to go for a day trip to France and stock on the drinks as its a lot cheaper over there.

Has anyone had any experiences with customs stopping them.
All this about customs taking peoples cars isreally worrying.

Mel.

Katana 25 October 2002 03:53 PM

All this about customs taking peoples cars isreally worrying.
Only of you have stickers on the car saying "I only brake for Arafat". :D

[Edited by Katana - 10/25/2002 3:53:45 PM]

Pete Croney 25 October 2002 04:16 PM

Why not ring them and tell them what you are doing, in advance. Get the names of who you are talking to.

On the day, take proof of the wedding/reception arrangements.

IanW 25 October 2002 04:19 PM

There is now no limit for the importation of tax-paid goods purchased in an EC country provided that these goods are destined for the importer's personal use.

However, the Customs authorities have fixed indicative limits on alcohol and tobacco. Beyond these limits the importer must be able to prove that these goods are for his personal use.

MelTypeR 25 October 2002 04:31 PM

I was thinking of calling them but i have heard stories of people telling them in advance but still getting there cars taken.

Just to clarify i will be hiring a van and not taking the scoob just worried about getting it taken and then being footed with a bill to pay for it on top having to rebuy more booze.

Mel.

Tim Bomford 25 October 2002 04:38 PM

As long as it is for personal use then it should be fine. You are having a wedding and can proove it. take details with you just in case....ie a shopping list.

Tim

Chrisgr31 25 October 2002 04:45 PM

I think you will find that as long as you haven't got married 6 times in the past year you'll be OK. I am sure that customs know exactly who has been across the channel and when, and they stop regular travellers.

I was stopped this year on my way back from the French Grand Prix. As I had been to Le Mans and the Le Mans test it was the third weekend in 3 months I had been over. Customs stopped me, asked me where I had been and had a quick look in the car. I had no drink or booze though.

I think as long as your trip is genuinuely to buy booze for a wedding you will be OK, however do ensure the amounts are reasonable! Customs might not be impressed if come back with 200 bottles of bubbly 1,000 bottles of wine, 4,000 fags and 3,000 cans of beer when you are expecting 50 at the wedding!

MelTypeR 25 October 2002 04:57 PM

Try a wedding for 400 guests.
Bloody greeks ah can't have small wedding oh no.

Mel

Diesel 25 October 2002 05:03 PM

If I was a customs official, I'm not sure that I would consider buying drinks for 100+ wedding guests to be 'personal use'... Be careful mate!

Pretty pathetic all round really - people are putting veg oil in their cars and now also brewing 'illegal' petrol due to the punitive tax level; the government also lose billions in tax each year to TAX PAID booze and fags imports... The French are laughing all the way to the treasury, while we get taxed to death and the exchequer/country loses out. The straw that broke the camel's back etc... tax us till it is worth our while to circumvent you - BRILLIANT GOVERNING! :(