ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Only a 2 litre, but not for long (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/144197-only-a-2-litre-but-not-for-long.html)

stooby 25 October 2002 10:59 AM

I have just got myself a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.0 Sport, and it is amazing, I had a Saxo 1.1 before and as you can guess my Scooby is just a little faster. The Saxo looked the part but lacked speed.
Now I have my Scooby I want to get it abit faster, can anyone suggest anything realistic, I dont want to spend thousands on it.
e.g. Induction kits, exhausts de cat pipes a bonet scoop(which I would get anyway but would it help) ?

POC 25 October 2002 11:20 AM

nos :D

alcazar 25 October 2002 11:22 AM

Sell it, and buy the Turbo version.:D: There isn't a lot you can do to improve the sport by much.:(:
Alcazar:D:

stooby 25 October 2002 11:31 AM

I cant buy a Turbo, Insurance is to expensive thats why I have a Sport. Can anyone give me a sensible answer ???
There must be someone out there.

TonyBurns 25 October 2002 11:34 AM

Check out www.scoobysport.co.uk i think that Pete does tuning parts for sports.

Tony:D

Dave_A 25 October 2002 12:14 PM

I would expect the tuning capabilities of the standard 2.o lump is similar to any normally aspirated vehicle.

First port of call would be induction kit and stainless exhust. This will give you some gains over standard.

After this, you would need to start getting the heads ported and polished and get into the realms of engine trickery.

I'd personally stick at the simple stuff like the exhust and filter, and save the rest of the money you could spend. I'd look to the long term, and think about upgrading in a couple of years, when it becomes financially a bit more viable.

Perhaps think about the stereo and upgrading that side of things if you want to spend money now. The benefit of this is that you can then take all the kit out when you sell the car and put it in your new one, whereas mechanical mods are a little harder to keep.

hth
Dave

stooby 25 October 2002 03:12 PM

cheers dave, any makes of induction kit you would recomend

TonyBurns 25 October 2002 03:28 PM

Stooby dependant on year (post MY99) then none, pre MY99 then the choice is yours :D (its to do with the MAF sensor) and still speak to Pete at scoobysport (exhausts etc)

Tony:D

chiark 25 October 2002 03:35 PM

I, and loads of people, run the K&N 57i on my MY00 turbo with no problems whatsoever with the MAF.

I'd recommend it.

Fitting guide here

Welcome to the Scooby world :D

LG John 25 October 2002 04:10 PM

Were you on SSC?

[Edited by Saxo Boy - 10/25/2002 4:11:05 PM]

scoobyfella 25 October 2002 05:33 PM

Hi chiark

Could you tell me whether fitting a k+n induction kit will void my subaru warranty as i would like to fit one as i have had them on other cars before and think they are the buisness.On the warranty it says can be fitted to new cars (any model) without affecting warranty.

Thanks for any replies,

James

ScoobyDoo555 25 October 2002 07:17 PM

Welcome to the Scooby world. :)

First theing you'll need - money :(

Second thing - have a look at the ITG panel filters. Very popular - I've got one on my Turbo (as opposed to an Induction kit)

Thirdly - a De-Cat system

Hope this helps :)

Dan

stevebt 25 October 2002 10:28 PM

when i had a 2ltr astra , i chipped it which didnt make any difference but when i added a new exhaust complete with manifold
it was a much more noticeable improvement, also add some cams and your laughinghttps://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Bow.gif
itll not make it like a turbo but will take over a second of the 0-60https://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Clap%20Hands.gif

nuclear_pond 25 October 2002 10:33 PM

Speak to TSL (www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk) as they were very helpful to me and my sport. I'm just running one of their backboxes at the mo, as trying to keep insurance down & nose clean till tubo time next year.

Also, we have a yahoo group going, which quite a few members. Theres a few peeps on here that have had a remap to 150 bhp...

Mail SubaruSportsters@yahoogroups.com
or visit http://groups.yahoo.com/

RaZe-=Buzz=- 26 October 2002 12:50 AM

"Insurance is too expensive thats why I have a Sport"..

And its going to be cheaper obviously to have a heavily modded Sport than a standard turbo?? Back box sir? Cetainly thats £50...De Cat centre?? Well sir, thats £45 extra please etc etc...

Buy a standard "proper" one ( :p ) and use the mod money, you said "thousands" ???????????????, to pay your insurance.

Have you actually CHECKED this out?

[Edited by RaZe-=Buzz=- - 10/26/2002 12:52:01 AM]

nuclear_pond 26 October 2002 05:17 PM

My TSL BB costs me £12 a year on the insurance thanks.

johnfelstead 26 October 2002 05:24 PM

best improvement to a sport is a set of 16" turbo wheels and some good quality tyres. You dont need more power, the sport engine is a lovely torquey 2 litre NA engine.

Ignore the get a Turbo comments too. ;) The sport is a lot lighter than a Turbo Impreza and is a match for a turbo in the wet, it actually handles better out of the box like for like in the wet due to its softer suspension and no rear ARB.

Great cars, i loved mine.

stooby 28 October 2002 11:18 AM

Well RAZE-=BUZZ=-, abviously you dont know much about Insurance.
Lets see if you can understand this, a 2.0 Sport is Insurance group 14, and a Turbo is Insurance group 19, abit of a deference, and if you think that a few things like a Induction Kit and an Exhaust can put this up a £1500(which was the difference) you must be as stupid as your comment.

So before you next put in any comments in Scoobynet I suggest you check out your facts.

Stu

ice man 28 October 2002 11:23 AM

Eibachs
Solid Drop links
Full decat yes it can be done, I know :D
Induction Kit
Remap
17" wheels

That should do you for starters.

Scott

Jerome 28 October 2002 12:20 PM

stooby,

Before you go slating RaZe-=Buzz=-, I would actually check the insurance side of things. You don't have to resort to rudeness to simply state you don't agree.

I myself was going to make the comment about checking the insurance first because IMO it is a valid point. Insurance companies often hammer modified cars - anything that makes it quicker or look like a turbo impreza especially. Even uprating the brakes to make it stop more quickly will increase your premium.

Chill man! :D

stooby 28 October 2002 02:32 PM

Jerome, I have checked this out, I dont make comments that are not true.
RaZe-=Buzz=- was the one who was being rude to me, so dont start at me.

MarkCSC 28 October 2002 02:38 PM

Have a look at these
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=66744&Page=1
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=133544

SiDHEaD 28 October 2002 03:13 PM

I think you missed the second part of Raze-Buzz's post. The money you are spending on the mods themselves (not the insurance hike) could be used to pay the extra few thousand on the insurance for a standard turbo (Insurance Group 17). This will achieve extra speed you wanted (and more), and give you the bonnet scoop etc.

Andy

stooby 28 October 2002 03:18 PM

Sidehead
Fare enough, I see what your saying but I am not wanting to spend a fortune on tuning it, it is a fast enough for my second car, I am 21 and have a Scooby, thats good enough for me just now.

Also I would of had to pay more to get a turbo in the first place so I wouldnt have any money to put on Insurance.

Stu

David_Wallis 28 October 2002 03:55 PM

Jerome, I have checked this out, I dont make comments that are not true.
RaZe-=Buzz=- was the one who was being rude to me, so dont start at me.

so dont start at me.
LOL

:P

I'm 22, just pay the insurance and enjoy modifing the car..

David

chiark 28 October 2002 04:05 PM

Sorry for not replying sooner - I think you can wave goodbye to your MAF warranty if you do fit K&N, as the dealers have been told to watch for this...

sparx 28 October 2002 06:45 PM

Try using those stupid little blue lights in the windscreen ... that will make as much difference as a bonnet scoop.

Alternatively press harder on the accelerator .. i sometimes find this helps.

akshay67 28 October 2002 06:53 PM

Stooby,

Best to ignore the stupid comments from some of the people on here...

Optimax would be recommendation...

gjscott_uk 28 October 2002 06:59 PM

I would have thought a modded sport would have higher insurance than a standard turbo ?? That`s if you tell them !!!