ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Technical Topics Archive (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/)
-   -   Centre Diff Control Use, the real translation! (https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-topics-archive-427/143750-centre-diff-control-use-the-real-translation.html)

dynamix 12 March 2006 11:02 PM

John

Been watching your Ring videos today - good driving sir. Will be ordering the full version shortly.

For anyone that hasnt seen it: http://www.johnfelstead.co.uk/videos/videos.htm

Andy S. 01 April 2006 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
OK, i'll work on getting something practical setup.

have you got anywhere John?

johnfelstead 02 April 2006 11:42 PM

Think so.

I have just bought another STi5 RA to practice in, and have the details of a test track local to me, hopefully be able to get more info on using this later in the week.

terryb 03 April 2006 08:17 PM

Think so.

I have just bought another STi5 RA to practice in, and have the details of a test track local to me, hopefully be able to get more info on using this later in the week.

John

Have you ever thought of mounting the pot. on the steering wheel, so that the diff can be adjusted with both hands on the wheel - for ultimate control?

Cheers

Terry :D

johnfelstead 03 April 2006 09:00 PM

It's far easier to finely adjust something that isnt moving down to your left hand at handbrake level, than try and adjust something that is moving, such as a steering wheel mounted analogue device, IMHO.

dynamix 04 April 2006 07:53 AM

could be disastrous if you knocked it by accident - down by gear stick is fine for me.

John - looking forward to this session when it is arranged....thanks for taking the time to do it.

chadrick 12 April 2006 12:21 PM

does this translation apply to the 22b to?

johnfelstead 12 April 2006 06:29 PM

yes

Got the costs for the test track now, £100 for 4 hours. Best use is week day rather than weekend due to noise issues and booking availability. I am going to do a morning there myself in the next few weeks once i have my ohlins suspension sorted, then take it from there.

dynamix 12 April 2006 06:41 PM

John

Sounds good sir :D

marcymarc555 12 April 2006 08:43 PM

Your a very good bloke John , true to your word , top man :thumb:

Andy S. 12 April 2006 11:11 PM

yes

Got the costs for the test track now, £100 for 4 hours. Best use is week day rather than weekend due to noise issues and booking availability. I am going to do a morning there myself in the next few weeks once i have my ohlins suspension sorted, then take it from there.

Nice one:)

chadrick 13 April 2006 01:15 PM

THANK F--K FOR THAT JUST BOUGHT A 22B AND TOOK IT HOME AND WHEN PARKING IT IN THE GARAGE IT WAS MAKING CLUNKING NOISES FROM THE DIFF THOUGHT IT WAS KNACKERED IT WAS IN THE ORANGE TRIANGLE AT THE TIME BUT WHAN I PUT IT BACK TO THE GREEN SQUARE IT STOPPED IT, PHEW!!!:D :D

Martin Walker 10 June 2006 11:00 PM

Now, for those of us just getting DCCD-A's on cars, that is a fantastic summary Dynamix.

Cheers, Martin.

Originally Posted by dynamix
depends on the road conditions really:

totally dry and warm = totally free diff
moist roads = one indicator light up
wet roads - i tend to leave on Auto to be honest as it does a pretty good job for me in the 06 STi.

if you are driving an 06 spec car with the DCCD-A then you cant go far wrong with the auto setting IMO at least until you get used to the way the car handles with that. I used the Auto setting at Snetterton on Sunday and it did a great job on a mixture of track conditions.

CyprusScooby 21 June 2006 01:05 AM

Whine from type-R

#1 Somebody said to me that they felt there was a noticable whine from the rear end of my Type-R. Not a tyre whine but they thought it was a diff whine :wonder: They heard it more as I slowed at a carpark exit.
I wonder if this could be causing my rear Toyo T1R tyres to be needing replaced after only 2000miles? :confused:

It wasn't picked up when I had my car in for a major service at David Hendry Cars or when a Prodrive mechanic had it for a few weeks. It has always made a whining noise when I take my foot of the clutch when Im going very slowly in 1st. Makes no other noise otherwise.:confused:

Anybody else with a Type-R that can put my mind at rest?

Want Best STI 26 June 2006 12:49 AM

I havnt read ALL the posts on this BUt say you want to launch ie. Santa POD
You would put the C Diff on LOCK Right??
Then launch to provide a good move off then on the move while your really going some Are you ment to Put it back to Green/Diff free position??

I just feel that when your really going some and you muck about with it.. something may break as your accelerating so fast..
Please explain
Santa pod plans are being made as we speak ;)

Want Best STI 29 June 2006 02:50 AM

has no body thought of this or no1 wants to answer???? :(

dynamix 29 June 2006 07:53 AM

there is no problem in changing setting on the go at whatever speed unless, as the owners manual puts it, all 4 wheels are off the ground at the time :eek:

Want Best STI 29 June 2006 02:16 PM

wow is that for real? So i can Run POD and have it locked and then while trying to get a 12 sec ;) change to Free???
cheers for the reply dynamix.. anyone else have an opnion on this?
many of you must have dragged your car

dynamix 29 June 2006 02:26 PM

please dont sue me if your diff goes bang though - i havent dragged mine personally ;)

Want Best STI 01 July 2006 12:34 AM

well thats exactly what im thinking! i just cant believe that nobody else can help on this! i have had the car a week and thats the first thing i thought of!
when you try to launch off with it Free it wheel spins! so really it has to be locked! but then When can you actually Free it again! or so you run it Locked? but then it feels like the brakes are on!!
HELP

ScoobyDuck 03 October 2006 07:12 PM

yes

sounds good John. might also be interested in this, depending on where it would be.

Steve

dynamix 20 October 2006 05:30 PM

ok - update from Santa Pod

launched with it set to Auto and felt as if it was rocking back and forth trying to find the best grip. Kinda of a weird sensation I must say but got a 0-60 ft time of 1.926 which was okay with a 3750 RPM launch.

johnfelstead 12 November 2006 09:46 PM

Lock it for the launch then wind the lock off when you change into 3rd would be my sugestion.

Unfortunately i have been rediculously busy with work all year, so havnt been able to take the test track stuff any further so far, it hit a bit of a brick wall when they said they wanted unlimited 3rd party liability cover taking out which made the costs OTT. If i can find a better solution i'll take another look into it.

pjay44 08 December 2006 06:52 PM

Hi John, Great thread. It has given me alot of insight into the DCCD. I had to disconnect my DCCD multi plug from behind the clocks when i replaced my heater matrix but on reconnecting it the DCCD indicator flashs on green. One of your post said that the diff goes into "Diff free" mode. How do you reset it or do your have to take it to Subaru dealer? Cheers PJ