ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   IDLE JUDDER (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/142570-idle-judder.html)

scoobydel 20 October 2002 12:47 PM

Ive just bought my first scooby, a standard MY97Turbo with 40,000 on the clock. While i`m generally happy with it i`m a bit worried about the way it idles when it`s warm - there is a slight irregular judder from the engine which you can feel through the seat even though there is no hunting. At high revs it seems OK. The guy at the dealership told me they all do this because of the layout of the boxer engine - am I being fobbed off? It`s the only scooby I`ve driven so I don`t know (I`m also mechanically challenged!).
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Moles Dad 20 October 2002 12:58 PM

I dont know if 'they all do that'....

Mine does it, no hunting and doesnt appear to be missing ant beats, just feel it through the seat a bit.

No detrimental effect though :)

ps Welcome aboard :D

DreXeL 20 October 2002 02:17 PM

Mine also does it, I've been told it's perfectly normal aswell.

Dyney 20 October 2002 04:41 PM

Welcome to the community:)

I think it's pretty normal, mine hasn't ever ticked over smoothly.

Iain.

dnb 20 October 2002 06:40 PM

Mine does it too. I talked to Dyney at the IOW meeting, and he told me not to be silly!

I improved the idle a bit (but not much) by putting a better earth onto the block - cost me about £2 - (search for earthing mods...) and after a clutch change I was told by the mechanic that my car idles very well for a Scoob. He says some are better than others for that, and it's not a problem.

Using my "select monitor" software I found the RPM only changes about 25 rpm during one of the "judders".

[Edited by dnb - 10/20/2002 6:41:28 PM]

Dodge 21 October 2002 03:01 PM

Mine also does it. Told that it's fine...

Gez 21 October 2002 03:25 PM

Mine does it 2! I wouldnt get too worried about it.

Cheers

Gez

Turbo_Steve 21 October 2002 03:52 PM

Yeah all the scoobs I have been in do it: even when they are hot. I think it is just there to add charecter or something (joke!). Interesting about the earth mod though.....I keep meaning to try this out........

dnb 21 October 2002 04:23 PM

Steve, the best I can figure with the earth mod is that it provides a better ground reference for the throttle position sensor etc. As I said, it didn't improve it much!

I think it would work better on older cars, as the wiring has had chance to degrade more :(

True Blue REX 21 October 2002 04:37 PM

Hi all,

I've finally plucked up the courage to post on scoobynet, (several hours of boredom at work does that).
I've had my MY98 for nearly a year now, and had the judders from the very start. Adding an induction kit seems to have got got rid of the judder (until the cone gets fairly dirty, now it's started again)
Hope that's of some help!