ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   dump valve (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/142489-dump-valve.html)

scoobyfella 19 October 2002 11:13 PM

Hi iv'e got a MY00 and i want to know if putting a better dump valve on is worthwhile as iv'e heard a lot about different types of valves as i am new to turbo motors don't know much about them.

If it is worth it can antone reccomend a good one, also do you know if it would affect u.k warranty.

How easy are they to fit i am pretty handy with basic tasks with engines but not sure about messing with this engine myself.

Thanks for any advise,

James

john banks 19 October 2002 11:19 PM

If you want noise and jerkiness go for it. If you original is not leaking keep it. I went for a Forge recirc and the jerkiness was horrible when I fitted a FMIC and I tried a few different springs. Car drives much smoother on the OEM DV. The original still makes a nice noise through an induction kit if you go that route, but best not to unless you are fitting a FMIC IMHO.

SCOSaltire 19 October 2002 11:22 PM

john, ur car must be a rocket by now

what power u producing?

scottywrx 19 October 2002 11:31 PM

James ...

Quite a few of us from Scoobycity have fitted Forge Motorsport dump valves (atmospheric ) on various models of Scoobs .. got mine from Wendy @ Scoobyworld (she made me an offer I could not refuse ! :D :D :D :D)

Fitting took me 20 mins on MY01 WRX ... no problems with performance etc etc ...

Some would say that replacement dump valves give no performance gain but certainly if you like the noise its the thing 4 u ..

Its a personal taste matter .. Some like them ... some dont....

I do .... :D :D :D :D

Scott
Visit Scoobycity

john banks 19 October 2002 11:44 PM

Hoping for 330-350 BHP at Star when I'm done.

Vanish 20 October 2002 11:51 AM

John

What kind of top end performance will you get running 330 to 340bhp any idea?
I am asking this to see whether it compares to a cossie at 160ish.
It will be likely that I will coming up against a few when I get my 2001 WRX which I will be looking to tweek.

dhorwich 20 October 2002 12:15 PM

a few people on here with front mounts and around 330bhp where getting over 160mph at elvington ten of the best...!!! something like 166mph i think....!! but this was on a classic shape impreza which are slightly lighter...

Dan:D

scoobyfella 20 October 2002 12:48 PM

Thanks for the advice John will think about it what is a FMIC IMHO though, not hot on shorthand yet.

Thanks again,

James

Hoppy 20 October 2002 03:41 PM

James, I've got a Forge DV and it can be a bit jerky on lift-off. I don't like it and it does absolutely nothing for lift-off over-steer :eek: (LOOS, for your education :D) It's coming off but if I notice slower spool-up I may mess about with different springs. Not optimistic, though.

FMIC = front-mount inter-cooler
TMIC = top-mount inter-cooler

Cheers,

Richard.

Dyney 20 October 2002 04:36 PM

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion:)

Dump vavle fitting is an easy DIY job, But deciding whether to fit it or not is a different matter:rolleyes:

scoobyfella 20 October 2002 05:48 PM

Thanks Richard and Dyney much appreciated,

James