ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Scooby or stick ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/142435-scooby-or-stick.html)

pcdude 19 October 2002 06:42 PM

Hi guys ,i wonder if anyone can help or been in same position , i currently drive a 1999 E46 BMW (yes a BMW lol ) 318se ( which is actually a 1.9 lol ) this is my 5th BMW , and newest , ive had 2.5 6 pots to ti,s compact .
Now I test drove a 2000 scooby today was quite impressed with performance ,handling very good fun ,,,,, great ,,loved it really ,,,,,, thing is i got a small family ,,, wife uses car for school runs, shopping , working in the town centre at nights ,,,,,,,,, so im thinking maybe it aint really practical for me and family ,,,,,,, so I need some comments either way from you guys as what to do and your opinions ,,
shall i scooby or stick ?
cheers Paul

grabber 19 October 2002 07:53 PM

go for it m8 i switch from a long line of beemers, the last an near perfect e36 m3, into a jap sti 4 just to see if i liked them, haven't look back since they cost about the same to run , but they seem to be a lot safer and a far bit quicker, can be a bit thirsty but thats the only real down side that i've found, always got a big grin whilst driving it, there's loads of room in the back for the kids, try your local dealer for a test drive with all the family,been great fun so far ,would get another.

pcdude 19 October 2002 10:38 PM

thx for reply grabber ,,,,,, when you say thirsty ,,,,, how bad is it lol ? will it be on the same scale as a BMW 2.5 6 pot ? or worse ,,,,, ?
Also wife has just said if i get a boy racer car she will divorce me ,,,,,,,, now theres an offer i cant resist lol :)

PC

marty_t3 20 October 2002 12:13 AM

Got a kid on the way and a new 'extended' family so i got the scoob wagon for the space. Carries 4 adults and a baby seat without any bother. Wagon is especially useful if space and luggage carrying are an issue. Not sure about headroom in the back though cuz i'm only 5'8 :D

RB5#295 20 October 2002 10:48 AM

Really needs SUL or Optimax and mine does 330 to a tank on a motorway cruise (when it's just a harsh Jap tin box) dropping quite spectacularly to the low 200's if you play with it for long enough. Forget the tank size but it costs about £40-ish to fill if the light has just come on.

I'm not the Scooby's biggest fan by some margin, purely on running costs. The 7,500 service intervals are a pain as well.

Fen

pcdude 20 October 2002 10:51 AM

so what is a average cost of service ,,,,,,, my bmw is about £300 for the major service and about £150 for oil

RB5#295 21 October 2002 11:50 AM

Last service just under £300 (I didn't spot the brake pads needed doing, otherwise £200). Next due next week but don't know the cost yet. That'll be my last with the Scoob.

Fen

pcdude 21 October 2002 08:10 PM

well Subaru dealer got back to me and basically offered silly money for my BMW as a part exchanged,,,,, but want top wack for the scooby ,, ,,,,,, so its looking very doubtfull that i will be getting one now ,,,,,,,,, shame really
i heard that scoobies may be coming down in price when the new model comes , so ,maybe wait and see

P1Fanatic 21 October 2002 08:34 PM

Try selling your BMW privately - I was suprised how it easy it is to sell a car if you price it right (sent an email around work and sold it the next day). Then you can walk into the Subaru dealer with a wad of cash in your hand.

How much money are you looking at spending on a Scooby?

Simon.

pcdude 21 October 2002 09:06 PM

simon it depends on wot i get for my bmw on a px , but i was looking at a scooby for about 12-13 k and hoping to put about £1500 - £2k cash with my bmw