ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Can I get email sent to a mobile phone (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/141711-can-i-get-email-sent-to-a-mobile-phone.html)

Jer 17 October 2002 10:37 AM

I am building a site for a local garage. I thought it would be a good idea to send information from a form to a mobile phone. The garage is not very up on IT so if I could get the form sent to a standard phone (not WAP)this would be ideal.
Does anyone get their mail sent to a mobile? which services are offered.

Cheers

Jeremy

sillysi 17 October 2002 10:41 AM

I used to have a Virgin mobile which allowed Virgin e-mails to be forwarded to the phone, it was only realy any use for letting you know you had an e-mail and who it was from.

Iain 17 October 2002 11:21 AM

I do this all the time with voadafone and a Sony/Ericsson t68i.

The t68i can send and receive e-mails (full time via GPRS ).
The way I do it is

1. Subscribe to www.vizzavi.co.uk web based e-mail
2. Switch on SMS alerts when e-mail received

So, when anyone sends me an e-mail, a text is sent to my phone.
I can then just go to the e-mail section of the phone and download the e-mail.

It works fine when you don't have access to a laptop.

It is a bit fiddly when you have to compose an e-mail to send though. ( Might be easier with a plug in keypad)

Darren (M3) 17 October 2002 12:51 PM

O2 (formerly Genie) let you text from the web to a mobile.

Just code a form to post to O2's site along with your user info and destination phone number.

snowcrash 17 October 2002 06:08 PM

do you want to:

a)send email from the garage to a phone (i.e. customer)

or

b)send a text message from the garage to email the customer?

im assuming you want to do A)??

Jer 17 October 2002 06:53 PM

Hi Snowcrash

If a customer fills out a form on the garage website the garage owner wants the form fields displayed on his phone.

Cheers

Jer

David_Wallis 17 October 2002 07:46 PM

Fax would be easier..

David

snowcrash 17 October 2002 09:36 PM

i agree with david (although i do remember my cellnet used to have a service which let you send an email to a genie.co.uk address which you configure to forward to your phone ...) i dunno if genie/cellnet/o2/bt whatever :rolleyes: still do that ..?

richard_scs 18 October 2002 08:49 AM

You can easily have sms sent via email to a mobile phone. I support numersous unix srvers scattered arounf the country have have this facility set up to notify me of problems.

Darren (M3) 18 October 2002 11:27 AM

Richard, can you give me some more info on this service please ?

I've been looking for a service that could accept SMS in the form of email or html and send on to the destination mobile phone.

-Darren

richard_scs 18 October 2002 12:15 PM

Hi Darren

Try Kevin Strong on 01903 228101, it costs £65 + vat for 1000 sms. It is easy to setup, just send email to mobile_number@emial2mobile.com

Richard

Darren (M3) 18 October 2002 12:17 PM

Cheers Richard. Thats perfect.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 18 October 2002 12:29 PM

These guys are worth looking at - Connection Software

They'll be able to help for this project.

They also do all sorts of other interesting things, like Internet interfaces to Pager companies servers etc. We used to send 2000+ pager messages a day over the internet and the only cost was the monthly on the pager - £5 each, so worked out as approximately 1p per message. Less if used more ;)

Darren (M3) 18 October 2002 01:26 PM

Cheers Puff - will give them a try too.

Jer 18 October 2002 02:04 PM

Cheers all

Very helpfull