ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   how they do it? £3000 discount! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/141403-how-they-do-it-3000-discount.html)

suba 16 October 2002 12:33 PM

just out of curiousity, how can subaru reduce the WRX price by £3000 overnight? does that mean they were doing £3000 profit margin before? and is that how a UK-spec import is so much cheaper?

sorry to hear people buying the WRX just before the discount. happened to motorcycles a few years back. before the discount, same old story from the manufacturer, everything cost more in UK so mototrcycles are more expensive than imports. then came the discount and they knock off upto £2000 for a new motorcycle!

ian/555 16 October 2002 01:20 PM

It must be something to do with market forces no doubt.
ian

[Edited by ian/555 - 10/16/2002 5:09:39 PM]

FiveO 16 October 2002 02:22 PM

YUP! Don't these same cars cost in the £13-14K bracket in Japan? And they are still making a profit on that!

alcazar 16 October 2002 02:46 PM

The bl**dy car manufacturers seem to be able to build a car here, give it a better engine than any of our options, export it all the way to Japan, and sell it for less than our lesser spec model!!
Then, when we ask why we're paying over their prices for cars built in Japan, we're told it's importing them that costs the money.:confused:

British car buyers are a cash cow, and look set to stay that way!!
Alcazar [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

CrisPDuk 16 October 2002 02:51 PM

I would imagie that this is a case of IM not wanting to be stuck with a load of F**k ugly cars in a couple of months, that nobody will want when the replacement comes out. Therefore they are cutting their losses and having a clearance sale.

sxahmed 16 October 2002 03:04 PM

If it happens and everyone flocks to buy the new WRX what does the future hold for owners of the previous model, should we count ourselves lucky for buying or keeping our impreza turbos??

Pete Croney 16 October 2002 03:44 PM

I think you will find that they are cutting their prices to stem the flood of EU imports.

The days of "Treasure Island" are over and Subaru UK are just the latest company to re-adjust prices in order to remain competitive with EU sellers.

johnfelstead 16 October 2002 03:51 PM

I hope you are right Pete, personally i am not convinced you are, but we will soon see.

I think the general market state on expensive goods is forcing the price drop as much as the stock clearance, with all this talk of invading Iraq and the stock market being low people are holding onto their money when it comes to large purchases. Also with inflation being so low there is little incentive to buy now, because prices are not going to shoot up. Low inflation is good in some ways, but when its so low it stagnates the markets.

Pete Croney 16 October 2002 05:07 PM

John I agree.

Tens of thousands have been laid off by banks in the City over the past year and IT rates are on their knees.

The people in these jobs are the stereotypical Impreza buyer.