ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Boost Question ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/141105-boost-question.html)

ZIPPY 15 October 2002 12:59 PM

Is it possible to get my car to boost slightly whilst at a standstill.
The reason being i have a rattle only when the car hits 0.1 on the boost gauge and i can only reach this level whilst driving.
I want to be able to get it to boost while i listen to try to source the noise. (Car MY01 )

Zippy

lizzard 15 October 2002 01:15 PM

AFAIK not unless you gas it while releasing the clutch in first gear and pressing the brake as well(heel & toe sort of thing). This is not good for the clutch may I add !!

The engine, even though at idle maybe reving at say 4000 rpm it is not producing enough exhaust pressure to give you boost since the engine is not under any load.

The fuel being used at 4000 rpm in neutral is a far cry from that being used at 4000 rpm in 5 th gear. Just depress the clutch while doing 2000 rpm in say 4 th gear and you will see how much the rpm rises.

Are you sure it is an engine rattle and not one induced from the car rolling on the road.

Try driving very slowly in 4 th gear and give the car gas. The boost will come up quite quickly and you may be able to hear the noise as it won't be masked by road noise.

Hope this helps! :)

Scott.T 15 October 2002 01:18 PM

Exhaust Heatshield without a doubt.

ZIPPY 15 October 2002 02:43 PM

Scott, according to my dealer it's the wastegate and as a result needs a new Turbo but i'm not convinced.(MY01 16K)
They say theve tried it without the heatshield in place and it still rattles,my opinion is, if it is the wastegate it would rattle coming off boost not going on when its opening the wastegate,
but hey its under warranty, the real fun will start if the noise is still present after a new Turbo.

Zippy

redwrx 15 October 2002 09:04 PM

Which dealer you going to?

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 16 October 2002 01:14 AM

Well, if the dealer wants to replace it under warranty, at least it costs you nothing. Is the rattle coming from the engine...or could it be the boost guage??
Heat shields do sound likely. The lower manifold ones are worst.

ZIPPY 16 October 2002 12:32 PM

Mainland in Widnes is the dealer,its not the boost gauge but agree it sounds like a heatsheild vibration,i have spoken to somebody who has a wastegate rattle but only coming off boost and his is a much older car.
I cant see it being Turbo related but we shall see once its changed, the problem is i want to investigate the noise myself but on the other hand why should i as its covered by warranty.

Zippy

swan 16 October 2002 01:40 PM

Agree with the others, if it's under warranty let them replace the turbo. If the problem goes away you apologise for doubting them and move along. If it doesn't you get to complain about how they don't know anything.

ZIPPY 16 October 2002 01:52 PM

I will re-post once the Turbo has been changed and let you know the outcome.

Zippy