ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Central heating Wiring (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/140780-central-heating-wiring.html)

dsmith 14 October 2002 01:38 PM

Anyone got any good wiring diagrams etc for central heating controls ?

I owuld like to control my Central Heating via the PC (I have appropriate Hardware). I'm assuming that I should be able to switch Hot Water and Heating by applying 240v to the appropriate terminals within the wiring junction box in the airing cupboard.

I'd like to leave the current controller untouched - but be able to override it by having the PC switch CH or Water on if its required outside the normall programmed times.

Anyone done this or got a good wiring diagram for a Y type central heating with explanations....?

Deano

MarkO 14 October 2002 01:45 PM

You want to dial in from work and turn the heating on? Pffff - sad man! :D

dsmith 14 October 2002 01:49 PM

No I want to sit in the lounge and press one button on the Pronto to give the central heating an extra hour.

The controller is in the airing cupboard and that is sooo far away.

Deano

12LEE 14 October 2002 01:51 PM

IIRC, you can buy a prelabelled junction box at B&Q for about a tenner. The extra hour is a function of the controller box though so you'll need to do some Pronto scripting.

[Edited by 12LEE - 10/14/2002 1:51:58 PM]

dsmith 14 October 2002 01:54 PM

Pronto/PC control via IR to 12v outputs exists. a quick 12v/240v relay gives me 240v where I want it. I just need to know if I can apply that voltage to the wirng at some point to override the current controller.

Deano

scooby nutter 14 October 2002 07:02 PM

Contact HONEYWELL for wiring diags for Y plan systems:)

Duncan

Mog 14 October 2002 09:30 PM

Why don't you just buy an Drayton radio frequency digital room thermostat so that you can program different temperatures for different times of the day or just turn the heating off or on from your armchair for about £40-£60 depending on spec required

Bee 14 October 2002 10:17 PM

Wouldn't like to service your heating mate!! :) Going to need a degree shortly!

dsmith 14 October 2002 11:35 PM

One of my problems is that both thermostat and controller are currently in awkward places.

Mog - Better thermostat was also on the list so thanks for the pointers to the RF ones - would make it possible to move it to somewhere sensible with little effort. Initial indaction would seem to suggest £90 ? if you have anywhere (on-line pref) thats nice and cheap please let me know.

Found a diagram (plus a couple of others) which confirms earlier reading which suggests that at its most basic level the controller decides when to make the feed to either the room thermostat (for CH) or tank thermostat (for HW) live. However some diagrams have a return from the Tank thermostat to the controller. This page attempts to describe this as "H/W Not Reqd". I'd like to fully understand this before mucking about with "live". I cant quite understand why the controller would need to anything but "H/W ON/OFF" and "CH ON/OFF"

I'm presuming the Boiler internals take care of firing cycles etc (or is this done by the controller ? - which kind of makes it a no-no)

As i said before everything exists for me to control a couple of 12v lines already so a few quid for a couple of relays would make a quick bit of extra heating either from the lounge or even remotely (coming back from holiday) a neat addition if it can be done.

Deano

[Edited by dsmith - 10/14/2002 11:37:23 PM]

dsmith 17 October 2002 09:59 AM

Nobody profess to be experts on Central heating wiring ?

Deano