ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   What's going on now? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/139928-whats-going-on-now.html)

Floyd 11 October 2002 08:25 AM

A few may remember that I got caught with Bug Bear recently and this has made me a little bit paranoid. Now when I'm on line I've noticed that the handshaking between my PC and the ISP is very active when viewing scoobynet even though I'm not asking for new pages.

So what's that all about? Is someone trying to downoad stuff from or to my machine :(

Help!

F

rik1471 11 October 2002 08:28 AM

If Scoobynet is dormant, and you have no other internet dependant processes running i'd be very suspicious. Download Zone Alarm, or similar to let you know if anyones attempting connection, and on which port.

DavidLewis 11 October 2002 03:49 PM

I must concur with Floyd. Hadn't noticed until he mentioned it but while you view scoobynet, traffic light is flashing away merrily.

dowser 11 October 2002 03:56 PM

netstat from a command prompt will show you open tcp connections. 'netstat -a' will also show listening ports, from memory 3x,xxx was the bugbear trojan port.

Richard

JackClark 11 October 2002 04:03 PM

Don't the adverts refresh?

suba 11 October 2002 04:11 PM

install anti-spyware like ad-aware or pest patrol.

DavidLewis 11 October 2002 04:27 PM

I'll take back my earlier comments, since it happens whether I've got scoobynet page showing or not.
Checked my firewall and I'm not sending any data (that helps) receiving shed loads though.
Had a chat with Blueyonder support. Apparently (not that I actually understood what was being said :) ) their servers are constantly sweeping for unused IP addresses and ports.

DavidLewis 11 October 2002 04:37 PM

Funny thing is....
When I disconnect my lan cable, it upsets a process using HIDSERV and it dies. When you reconnect the Lan cable again, a new process starts up using HIDSERV.
HIDSERV has been subject to an eRumour that its collecting data on your computer and passing it to someone else. Makes sence though!!!

DavidLewis 11 October 2002 05:06 PM

Just loaded Ad-aware. Useful little product and it spotted a few issues for me which I've now dealt with.
Thanks for the link

Dream Weaver 11 October 2002 05:52 PM

How can you stop the command prompts going when you run them? Whenever I run netstat, ping etc it shows up then closes straight away before I can have a look :(

stevem2k 11 October 2002 06:10 PM

start > run > cmd

dos box ... then type your netstat

Steve

DavidLewis 11 October 2002 08:20 PM

My exit to dos command file is call "command" Is that normal?

stevem2k 12 October 2002 09:19 AM

depends what version of windows you are running. One or the other will work..

Steve