ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   So then do scooby's ROT ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/139869-so-then-do-scoobys-rot.html)

rs125 10 October 2002 09:45 PM

As topic really ..

As some of the subaru turbo's are getting on for 10 years old now and as they are slowly comeing down to a price i can afford i was wondering if they suffer from any rust problems ?

I know that looking at them from the top (ie not the underside) they look fine but whats going on underneath ??

Take a sierra cossie for example - looks fine when looking around it - arches still solid etc but ive sean loads with rotten rear chassis legs and holes in sills etc !! are early subaru turbo's like this or did subaru actually take a few minutes on the production line to underseal them :)

Thanks.. :)

[Edited by rs125 - 10/10/2002 9:46:38 PM]

dhorwich 10 October 2002 09:52 PM

my MY95 WRX has not got one bit of rust on it.... it has however only been in the country since feb 2002...

Dan

[Edited by dhorwich - 10/10/2002 9:52:40 PM]

joop! 10 October 2002 10:14 PM

i know the uk cars are underseald imports are not
cant realy class subaru's with ford all fords rot well most

rs125 10 October 2002 10:18 PM

i was'nt classing subaru's in the same class as ford it was just an example :)

dhorwich 10 October 2002 10:18 PM

most imports get underseal when they arive in this country, mine did, which mean the underseal is in tip top condition...

Dan

wrxrob 10 October 2002 10:32 PM

in answer to your question yes they do suffer with rot a little bit but not in any easy to find areas on the alloy bonnet models the alloy corrodes on the leading edge of the bonnet very small and very easy to fix and under the battery and washer res easy to see y with all that water there not much but expensive to have this repaired i had mine done when i had a new front panel fitted they had to cut the affected area out and fabricate a new piece of metal excellent end result though.

marty_t3 10 October 2002 10:38 PM

Mine is a 94 WRX. Brought into the country 2 years ago. Only rust on it is on the battery bracket and a tiny chip on the top edge of the boot lid (5 door). All hinges/brackets/panels etc are fine. Don't know if it was undersealed but the bottom of the car looks ok.

Moles Dad 11 October 2002 06:31 PM

:eek: but they rot ya wallet :D

Uk model, 1999 on a T, no rot :)

barge 11 October 2002 06:44 PM

93 wrx.

been in the country 4 years owned by me for 4 years, no underseal, regular driver, regular washed top to bottom & underneth, no rot anywhere that I can see.

But I know of a blue car 99 I think owned by a MOD on here that has surface rust in the roof where the sunrooof was cut in & not cured properly

NotoriousREV 11 October 2002 07:40 PM

MY93 WRX, car is totally corrosion free top and bottom. You could eat your dinner off the underside. ;)

goober 12 October 2002 05:26 PM

I have found a load of rust on my uk96! At some point the windscreen has been replaced, whoever scraped the sealant off damaged the underlying paintwork.

So rust on both pillars, suggest that anyone who has had the windscreen replaced has a good look for this, will need to unclip the trim either side of the screen.

Have now repainted and re sealed, but as they say 'rust never sleeps'.

planky 12 October 2002 11:13 PM

Same on mine.. both A pillars are showing signs of bubbling rust by the screen and it is a NEW screen.. ARGH!!!!

Going to have the pillars painted soon.

madfiddler 13 October 2002 01:43 AM

My grandad, god rest his soul, bought a Sooby 1800 in 1982, 2 weeks b4 passing away. Mum kept it going for about 10 years or so, 80 odd k on the clock, and it rusted pretty badly... That was a long time ago though.

Stephen Cole 10 November 2002 05:35 PM

This was a topic I was going to raise as a Informational Item relating to a list of possible rust areas on early Impreza's

My additions to the list

Bottom of the radiators (the full length metal bracket at the base of the radiator corrodes somewhat in the areas round the drain holes)

Top spoiler mounting brackets on 5-door models

Obviously slight surface corrosion on various bolts and suspension item welds etc
And corrosion on heatshield nuts and bolts
And moderately thick surface corrosion on certain exhaust components especially towards the rear

Oh, and surface corrosion on brake disk hubs, front and rear
(but I've painted mine)

Not had a chance to look inside the doors yet, as that is a slight worry (as rain definitely works it way down there, and could cause problems). One of my rear door sliding bar thingies (you know what I mean, half way up in the gap where the hinges are, metal bar approx 12mm by 3mm, with a kink in it to hold the door open, usually covered in grease) suffers from slight corrosion as water seems to collect there inside the door

Re the import underseal thing
They do have thicker chip resistant paint and some underseal in critical areas, but even without extra underseal, the underside remains corrosion free (unless you get a really heavy stone chip etc)
The problem with extra underseal is that unless it is properly applied, corrosion can occur underneath it and you can't see it till its too late !

Lets make this a definitive list -- contributions welcome

[Edited by Stephen Cole - 10/14/2002 5:00:46 PM]