ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   anti-lag (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/139868-anti-lag.html)

thoma2001 10 October 2002 09:44 PM

just wondering, as my mates just had anti lag put on his evo for £2000, can it be done for my subaru, 92 wrx,

cheers,

dhorwich 10 October 2002 09:50 PM

Have you got the money to be buying new turbos very frequently...???

Its not worth it....

Dan

Pavlo 10 October 2002 10:30 PM

Evo has all the gear fitted as standard (exhaust manifold air bypass and valve), the £2000 will have been mainly for an aftermarket ECU which does a lot more than just anti-lag.

Paul

Fuzz 10 October 2002 10:51 PM

Unless you opt for "boys" anti-lag which is a lot kinder to your turbo.
still cost lots tho
a'la MOTEC.
apparently EGT's are lower with als on, I have yet to believe it tho. (Big bear told me this)

Andy

stockcar 11 October 2002 08:20 AM

we run this on our rally cars, and the answer is yes to fitting (cost upwards of £1500).
as to replacing turbos depends on the way its mapped, aggressiveness, etc. - e.g. run evo7 with full works and is very reliable however the turbo is designed better for this application than an impreza.
also run impreza hire car but with much lower boost and less aggressive anti-lag to keep it more reliable!
both cars have competed all season and have been very reliable - its all in the map!

Nezz10 11 October 2002 09:45 AM

How does anti-lag work?

Pavlo 11 October 2002 09:57 AM

Essentially you put fuel in but ignite it very late as the exhaust valves are opening. You can supply air to burn either through throttle bypass (idle valve) or exhuast bypass (air from throttle to exhaust manifold).

The more air and fuel you burn the more agressive it's said to be, so it spins the turbo quicker but higher loads involved.

Evo has the air feed to the exhuast manifold I think, wheras the subaru's tend to use the idle valve.

Paul

Tim Bomford 11 October 2002 03:29 PM

If you get a Gems ecu anti-lag comes with it. I should know!

Tim

uxg 11 October 2002 04:52 PM

Tim. Is the Gems anti-lag any good. i.e. do you feel a marked imporvement in turbo spool up amd more importantly does it spit out flames between gearchanges :D.

On a more serious note does using the anti-lag feature on the GEMS frequently have a detrimental effect on things like the turbo or the exhaust system etc.

Big Bear 11 October 2002 04:53 PM

Tim
You finally got the pops and bangs you were looking for then :)

Adam M 11 October 2002 05:12 PM

antilag can be as god or as bad for your turbo as you like.

if you just want pops and bangs, all you need do is run rich on overrun and the unburnt fuel will have this effect.

Anti lag damage is up to you. if you want effective antilag it will eventually hurt your turbo, the evo has a td05 which is stronger from the beginning, but then so does any early WRX, sti and sti 2. Its up to you.

Gems is probably cheapest way to do it properly, but you will need other stuff such as a solenoid or servo to crack open the isc to let in the air you need to get any kind of burning in the headers.

Tim Bomford 11 October 2002 05:45 PM

Dave and uxg the bangs are quite nice, would like more/bigger/louder etc but at the same time I don't have the dosh to buy a new turbo or any of the other bits that may get hurt so it'll have to stay as it is.

Tim

Tim Bomford 11 October 2002 05:46 PM

Oh and the flames.....no idea as I'm the driver but cars do keep a bit more distance if I use it on the road.

Tim

dhorwich 11 October 2002 06:40 PM

Does the new evo have a TD05 turbo, as im sure i read somewhere that they have a titanium compressor wheel..????

Dan

stockcar 11 October 2002 08:14 PM

not sure of model no. but "RS" evo 7 defo has titanium wheel!!

CarMan 11 October 2002 08:36 PM

I've run anti-lag with GEMS on a 96 RA and it works (instant spool-up) BUT standard idle valve is too small so I've run a jacked-open throttle which makes 'normal' driving a nightmare. No-one has mentioned that the brake servo doesn't work with anti-lag (as there is no manifold vacuum) so I had to fit a pump to provide the vacuum. Would be interested (very) to hear how others cure lack of air on over-run to make it all work - did someone mention a solenoid?

Pavlo 11 October 2002 11:14 PM

Mild anti lag will still give you some servo pressure, rally cars do without the servo a lot of the time.

You should also get some vacuum at the turbo inlet depending on inlet arrangement, this would increase at high boost, just ask the people whose samco inlet hoses collapse at high boost.

Paul

Adam M 12 October 2002 12:12 PM

One fix I have heard of is to replace the servo assisted brakes with a fixed rod instead of a piston.

Effectively no power brakes. No problem with driving like this, you just have to get used to it. That way it remains unchanged when the antilag comes on.

I prefer the idea of the pump though. I always think of vacuum pumps being horrid noisy things from chemistry labs. Is yours a silent running neat piece of kit, if it is, I may have to consider this for the future.

ut then, i only want it for the pops and bangs so running rich on overrun will do me fine.

CarMan 12 October 2002 12:26 PM

Adam

Pump isn't silent but not noisy either and a very neat fit. Not cheap at £300 (from Quicks) but not as costly as a pedal box!

Any ideas about this solenoid mentioned, to get air into the system to make the ALS work properly?

Mo 12 October 2002 02:09 PM

Read Pats post on 22B