ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   New Hedge Advice (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/137734-new-hedge-advice.html)

IWatkins 10 March 2002 10:26 PM

Go with a yew hedge. Great boundary hedge and easy to look after.

More details on this site (that also sells them) English Yew

We have one running the full length of our boundary and they are simple to look after and look great. Ours is kept at 6ft height max. just by clipping once a year. Easy.

Wouldn't recommend hawthorn as it is a bit nasty to maintain properly and the roots can be a right pain. It will also throw off side shoots if you are not careful. Oh, and the thorns really really hurt :( We got rid of our hawthron from the back garden and twice managed to get a long thorn right up under my thumb nail. Be careful out there ;)

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by IWatkins - 10/3/2002 10:29:29 PM]

TolTec 10 April 2002 11:22 AM

What about holly?
Evergreen, varigated types, berries.

Have you looked here?

http://www.crocus.co.uk/findplant2/hedging/

[Edited by TolTec - 10/4/2002 11:35:58 AM]

dsmith 03 October 2002 05:01 PM

Tomorrow I'm clearing out a manky old hedge in the garden that has been allowed to get far too overgrown by previous owners. Its coming out so the fence can be replaced and we get about a metre of garden back.

Ideally I want the new hedge to start really quickly - then stop when it gets about 5ft high. It should be about 1ft wide. Will be next to a 6ft fence and gets sun for half the day.

Ideas ? Prefer something leafy all year round but dont particulalry like fir-style evergreens.

What are the best species of box hedge ? and can I plant them now or wait for the spring ?

Regards

Deano

MarkO 03 October 2002 05:03 PM

Two problems with box - very slow growing, and at the moment there's a lot of box blight in the UK, which is unsightly and could kill the hedge (and loads of your other plants).

What about that old fave privet?

Check out Greenfingers where they have an advice section for stuff just like this.

Chrisgr31 03 October 2002 05:24 PM

What about Yew? Its faster growing than you might think.

alcazar 03 October 2002 07:19 PM

Do you need it for security? Try Dogrose , or Hawthorn. Both grow reaonably fast, attract birds, and are secure 'cos they're spikey!
Alcazar

dsmith 03 October 2002 07:36 PM

No need for security. Back looks onto fields as does the front so a) more than enough noisy birds ;) and b) if someone wanted to get into the garden there are easier ways.

How quick does hawthorn grow ?

Deano

Fuzz 03 October 2002 11:07 PM

does this hedge your replacing back onto those fields you mentioned ?
If so do NOT plant yew as your hedge.
it's deadly poisonous to cattle !!

Mum suggested Beech family,
either you can have green beech or coppper beech
or a combination of both to gain a chequered effect.
planting is around now, before soil gets too cold.

Andy

dsmith 04 October 2002 08:20 AM

This hedge is actually the side (hence next to a fence). Its arable round here so no Cattle. off to google about Beech :) in the hope that will put off having to actually go out into the garden and do real work ;)

Deano

dsmith 04 October 2002 08:28 AM

Now thats a Man's Hedge ;)

http://woodbooks.co.uk/images/features/beeches.JPG

Only 100ft Tall !

MarkO 04 October 2002 08:50 AM

Beech isn't so good, 'cos it looks really tatty after the golden leaves have passed their best. It's not too thick, either, meaning you won't get as much privacy as from yew, etc.

Dave T-S 04 October 2002 08:59 AM

Speaking from experience thorns (Haw, black etc) look very tatty in winter and being deciduous lose their leaves.

Had a great laurel hedge at out old house but these can get out of hand if you are not careful. There is a new type just out however that only reaches 6' which is ideal and what I am going to plant at our new house. Advantage it is evergreen so you get shelter and privacy all year round. If you are interested i'll check out the name of it:)

dsmith 04 October 2002 09:02 AM

Dave

Yes Please - all ideas welcome. :)

I'd best not go outside just yet - in case someone posts something else ....;)

alcazar 04 October 2002 10:21 AM

Just to go off track slightly....you are using concrete posts for the fence, aren't you?

barge 04 October 2002 10:23 AM

MarkO & dave t-s you both scare me

please stop it

dsmith 04 October 2002 10:49 AM

Alcazar - yep. Concrete posts are already there - the exisiting fence panels need replacing but posts still seeem fine. House was only built 14 years ago - its amazing how overgrown a garden can get in that time :(. The whole place is covered in Ivy. We've got it off the house now but all the borders are just somethered in it.

Ahh well. Tea break nearly over :(

Deano

ian/555 04 October 2002 11:10 AM

Dsmith, is that tall hedge near Wokingham?
ian

astraboy 04 October 2002 11:25 AM

[monty python]
A SHUUUUUBBERY!!!!!!!!
[/Monty python]
;)
astraboy.

dsmith 04 October 2002 11:26 AM

Perthshire, Scotland apparently