ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   POLICE -: THUMBS UP FOR SPEED CAMERA (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/137724-police-thumbs-up-for-speed-camera.html)

Scooby_Loo 10 March 2002 06:50 PM

At last the busys are putting them to use. I travelled home to Edinburgh last weekend, from Sheffield. We travelled up the A68 after we reached newcastle and there were very few cameras on the english side, as soon as we crossed the border it was spot the fecking camera! Theres a few cheeky ones popped in there, one in particular is very well hidden might i add, nowhere near blind spots. There is no need. Even if you are slightly over the limit it is highly unlikely you would have an accident on that road. We spotted a nice man in a focus and stuck behind him, he seemed to know where all the cameras were! :D

Basically what Im trying to say is that the police should spend more time putting the cameras where they are needed, for example, schools community centres, playgrounds etc etc. Isn't safety the whole point?

Sorry, started to blabber on a bit!

Loo :)

[Edited by Scooby_Loo - 10/3/2002 6:53:08 PM]

The Zohan 10 April 2002 09:41 AM

I hate fecking speed cameras! - The ones that are there just to generate revinue, you know the ones - long straight nowhere near the populus or an accident blackspot, or hidden in a layby or bridge on a fast bit of road, like the a45 or M1 just money-makers.

Nice to see them being used properly for a change - Ohh, nicking mothers on the school run and double whammy, busting them for double parking and parking on the zig-zag areas, some mothers seem to think that this is their right!

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 10/4/2002 9:42:03 AM]

T5NYW 03 October 2002 04:47 PM

I'd like to congratulate Tewkesbury Police :) as the placed a 30mph zone :) Gatso Speed camera outside a School Pedestrian crossing :D:D This is where I believe such cameras should be used.
Not on a 3 mile straight of dual carraigeway thats never had an accident there since it was built. And the accident black spot 5 miles away on bends.

So a big thumbs up to mister Plod

Tony

Ps noticed it when travelling to Prestcott Hill climb Sunday

tinvek 03 October 2002 05:05 PM

exactly where cammeras should be used

also why can all roads past schools have a movable sign that flips to a 20mph limit when the crossing lights are on?

we've got one on anglesey at valley because of it being a dangerous junction so it can be done.

chiark 03 October 2002 05:11 PM

Wow, I'm amazed and would actually be glad to see one outside a school.

Wow. Shocked!

alcazar 03 October 2002 05:24 PM

Bet they didn't make much money from it though:D:
Oops, forgot, they're not about making money, they're about safety.......NOT:D:
Alcazar

mutant_matt 03 October 2002 05:49 PM

They'll make loads of money. I have read many times about the "School Run Mums" moaning to the Police about people speeding past the schools. The Police then setup a mobile speed patrol and proceed to nick loads of "School run Mums" - I kid you not. :D

I've also heard many times, a similar situation where the residents of a small village somewhere complain about people speeding through their village and then the Police proceed to nick loads of villagers for speeding....LOL :D

Anybody know who funds Gatso's BTW, is it the Police or the Local Authority?

Matt :)

pmather 03 October 2002 06:02 PM

Not sure who "funds" the Gatso's but I believe the local force in question is allocated at least a proportion (maybe the whole lot- I am not sure)of any fine from a successful "capture"

Butty 03 October 2002 06:27 PM

Will they also have the ability to catch people double parking and parking on the yellow zig zag lines? That would be oh so great.

Nick

5 Type R 03 October 2002 07:08 PM

I was recently involved with a project to implement a system that fully automates the speeding fine process for one of UKs leading police authorities.

An very interesting project as you can all imagine, but also a good insight into the various process's involved and the sort of revenue this inturn generates.

Truly Mindblowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RaZe-=Buzz=- 03 October 2002 08:54 PM

Police in Common Sense Shocker!

Excellent. Well done. Award yourselves a Gold Star!

clap clap clap clap clap clap etc etc

IWatkins 03 October 2002 10:14 PM

Tony,

You talking about the camera on the East side of the motorway at Tewks ? That is a good one. It is actually set really low as well, maybe as low at 35mph (ish). Everyone slows down for it, oh, apart from those who don't know it is there (evern though is a bright yellow) :D :D :D

Everytime I come the other way (on my route into 'nam) I'll see it flash and catch someone.

You are right, correct place for it.

Cheers

Ian

Hoppy 04 October 2002 01:00 AM

Good. Speed trap by a school. If only these areas could have variable limits, according to time of day, school term, weather conditions etc.

No, that's asking too much. Silly me. But you can have a GPS device to tell you exactly where you are, at what speed, at any time, within a few feet anywhere on the planet.

But I guess such a 'smart' equipped speed camera wouldn't make much money.

Richard.

Jza 04 October 2002 08:39 AM

What is the world coming to.....

Placing speed camera's where they should........

next they'll be arresting criminals rather than prosecuting harmless motorists :D

Jza

Josh L 04 October 2002 09:18 AM

About feckin' time.

There are three I go past in Aylesbury. Two on straights, and one outside a school, and the only one that's not been switched on in the 18 months I've had my 550 is.....you guessed it.... the one outside the school :(

Josh

Jen. 04 October 2002 10:26 AM

:D Good news :D

Re: funding - it's the Police that have control, when we (local authorities) design road schemes e.g. outside Schools as part of the Safer Routes to Schools or a new 30mph etc. we have to use every other available method such as road humps, build outs, gateways etc. before the police will even consider placing a speed camera there...all we can do is request them :( Feckin annoying :(

Jen

shunty 04 October 2002 12:45 PM

I wish we had one outside my kids school....it's 100 yards from our house on a fairly open straight road.
Loads of idiots including women drivers do well over 30 quite often whilst there are cars double parked :eek:

I would love to join that group of people who go round cutting the fooken ones down on open dual carriageways etc....

This is the FIRST time I've heard of one outside a school, they obviously let the real police officers decide where this one was going & not the idiot police chief/managers/politicians.....

shunty

Hoppy 04 October 2002 02:22 PM

There's one outside a school near me. But it's on the far side of the road where there is no path, no children and no parked cars. But there are a lot of trees which conceal it completely...

Why is it not on the school side of the road where all the action is and you could see the camera very clearly from a good distance?

I wonder.

Richard.

T5NYW 04 October 2002 02:45 PM

Generally speaking everyone seems pleased with this post :D:D

Surely this can't be true, as we are all considered irresponsible noisey Xhorst boy racers :rolleyes: well thats the perception of plod and Joe public :( And as many a School run Mum has overtaken me in a 30mph:(:( so no sympathy.
Speeding in a school zone should have bigger fines than in a 70mph IMHO

Tony