ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   STI 7 PPP Review In New Evo (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/137556-sti-7-ppp-review-in-new-evo.html)

Dave T-S 10 March 2002 10:45 AM

Hi Dave,

so, will the version tested be what punters can actually buy?

Nick
I don't work for Prodrive, but I would be very surprised if it wasn't the final production version. Whatever the conspiracy theorists on here may think, Prodrive and IM aren't that devious or stupid:)

[Edited by Dave T-S - 10/3/2002 10:46:52 AM]

Dave T-S 10 March 2002 11:00 AM

Nick
I think it has been enough aggro finalising one version, let alone two!

To the best of my knowledge (and memory) the final spec was signed off by Prodrive months ago.

The procedure would then be that IM approve and sign it off, and they order the bits, get them made and to dealers. The actual spec would have been frozen ages ago.

It's no secret that getting the parts together for the kits has been the cause of the delay in making the PPP available for release to the public. Had it been released without kits being available would have caused even more moans!

Definitely a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't....:)

[Edited by Dave T-S - 10/3/2002 11:04:37 AM]

TurboBoost 10 March 2002 11:02 AM

Prodrive and IM aren't that devious or stupid
Skoda are though.

[Edited by TurboBoost - 10/3/2002 11:04:35 AM]

Neil Smalley 03 October 2002 09:06 AM

Evo mag have got their hands of a PPP'd STI 7

Quotes like 'Fires you like a steam catapault all the way to the rev limiter'

'Feels Smoother'

50-70 in top times drop from 6.1 to 4.9 Seconds
80-100 in 6th will now take 6.5 down from 7.8

Gets 5 stars
+ Heaps more power and torque, less lag :D
- An even greater threat to your license :(

Mag is out now

DrEvil 03 October 2002 09:19 AM

Nice :)

chiark 03 October 2002 09:25 AM

Wasn't evo published 2nd wednesday of every month?

Good to know Subaru marketing is working well and can get the car to reviewers in time to meet publishing deadline but the dealers still say "PPP isn't signed off yet".

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? ;) :D

chiark 03 October 2002 09:26 AM

BTW, this isn't a moderator only thread in case anyone was wondering ;) :D

Sideways 03 October 2002 09:39 AM

Thanx Chiark for clearing that up, was about to report you to yourselves :D

Dave T-S 03 October 2002 09:55 AM

Nick
Nobody said it was a customer version - there have been two PPP'd STi's in existence for months - but it would obviously only make sense to offer one for test just before it went on public sale.....

EVO subscriptions are often sent out early, and I normally get my copy from a wholesaler early, as well as Autocar on a Monday lunchtime;)

Dave T-S 03 October 2002 09:57 AM

BTW, dealers are wrong - it was *signed off* for production months ago - obviously though that is different to bits actually manufactured and at your dealer - what dealers should have said is that it isn't *released* yet........

mutant_matt 03 October 2002 10:04 AM

So is EVO available off the shelf today or is it only for people with subscriptions?

(and before you tell me to go and look, I'm off home ill and will only drag myself out to the newsagents if I think there is a chance it's there... ;))

Matt :)

chiark 03 October 2002 10:09 AM

Hi Dave,

so, will the version tested be what punters can actually buy?

I realise this is a deeply cynical thought, but that's because I am deeply cynical by nature... :D

Cheers,

Nick.

gregh 03 October 2002 10:13 AM

hmm no evo for me in todays post, guess it must go to southerners 1st ;)

Greg

T5NYW 03 October 2002 10:32 AM

Is the same manufacture of the Exhorst the same for alls PPP's made :rolleyes:?

Evo mags go south unlike PPP it goes north.

Tony

Toad 03 October 2002 10:34 AM

Chiark,your not suggesting that suburus press car is modified in anyway?:-)
Apparently TVR's original press cerberas were modified over the factory items.
I thought that modifying cars over stndard and giving false figures would be illegal?

Toad.

chiark 03 October 2002 10:43 AM

Nope, not suggesting that :D

Just wondering if the config on these cars really are the PPP, or are an "in development" version of the PPP that might have subtle differences in the ECU, or the exhaust, or ...

chiark 03 October 2002 10:56 AM

Cheers mate, realise you don't work for prodrive, but thought you might possibly have an insight as to whether the two that are known to exist have the bits that have been "signed off" or not.

TaviaRS 03 October 2002 11:21 AM

Indeed they are, everyone knows Skodas can never be that quick! ;)

:D

hawkeye 03 October 2002 11:30 AM

There's something in it though a lot of Subaru dealers are on the same sites as Skoda?

Call Mulder

Hawkeye

HKSubaru 03 October 2002 11:36 AM

goon you going for it?

Big Goon 03 October 2002 12:11 PM

Not yet m8, will do in December, bit short atm, got the springs and upper/lower mesh + I'm gonna buy that 2nd hand NurSpec-R + 10k service this month :eek:

10k miles in 3 months, and I've been car sharing whenever poss, what a way to depreciate an STi :(

jackal 03 October 2002 12:17 PM

the EVOVII, or even the VI is still the daddy though, surely ?

Big Goon 03 October 2002 12:25 PM

If you like track day specials then sure get an Evo, but if you want some comfort and a little refinement then get the STi.

Theres's no way I would want to do 800 miles a week in an Evo thats for sure.

MJW 03 October 2002 12:26 PM

Will the STi v.7 PPP be the same as the new-shape 'blob-eye' STi v.8 I wonder ? They're the same mechanically AFAIK engine-wise (I know there's been a few handling tweaks) so I wonder if you'll be able to get PPP for MY03 straight away ..

YorkshireSimon 03 October 2002 01:01 PM

Or more to the point...

Will the MY03 cars due out early next year, get preference over the MY02 STi owners who have been given lead times of Jan/Feb???

Not that I am one of them though ;):D

Simon

chrisp 03 October 2002 01:02 PM

MJW a bit like the UK300 then ;)

Neil Smalley 03 October 2002 01:03 PM

Looking at the car used in the article. I think its the standard press car used for all the reviews. BD51HYA I think it was.

0-60 is 4.6 Seconds
0-100 is 12.2

So as I suspected a PPP'd MY01+ car is about the same perfomance as a standard classic model.Although a PPP'd STI appears to be quicker(just) than a standard classic STI.

They don't mention of the new exhaust makes the car sound more like the old one though.

Also, no mention is made of an induction kit, only sports cat, backbox and ECU.

johnfelstead 03 October 2002 03:12 PM

So it's still slower than a standard spec STi5 TypeRA with only 280BHP, even though its got a six speed box, thats a bit of a shame. ;):D

Looking forward to driving one on saturday. :D

russell hayward 03 October 2002 04:10 PM

Yes, but with the superior handling of the STI7, it makes it quicker point to point....;):D

johnfelstead 03 October 2002 04:16 PM

and here was me thinking a lighter car with a more responsive engine and more tunable to conditions drivetrain, with front/centre and rear LSD's would be quicker in the twisties. Silly me. :D