ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   URGENT SEAT AIRBAG HELP REQUIRED PLEASE (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/135610-urgent-seat-airbag-help-required-please.html)

Fulham71 26 September 2002 06:49 PM

Im changing my sports seats for the original bucket type

Will these slot in & if so will I have probelms with any air bag lights
If so how can I get around the problem ?

cheers
Paul

PS DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT SORTS SEATS & BUCKETS ARE WORTH SECOND HAND ?

Dave T-S 26 September 2002 10:23 PM

Right.

I had a BIG spat with SUK (Ed Swatman himself) on this last year.

Wanted to do exactly the same. SUK would not sanction it, refused to let a dealer do it, and sent me a recorded delivery letter absolving themselves of all liability if I did.

They will possibly try to invalidate your warranty.

They won't sell you buckets, and in any case they are about £1400 each!

That said, to do it (and I do not condone it, just giving you the info) you will need MY01> buckets as they are different trim to earlier cars. Yes, the airbag warning light will come on. To make this go off, you need to slot a (IIRC) 3ohm resistor into the loom under each seat. Subaru do just this for buckets as the loom is the same for both. They will NOT sell you the resistors though - the parts are blanked out on the parts list at dealers - apply to SUK and they will check the car spec to see if you had sports seats fitted originally - if yes, you won't get them.

What you can use, however, is the service tool they use when testing them - part number 98299PA040 obtainable from www.kent-moore.spx.com which plugs in the end of the loom with a bit of pin modification.

Availability of s/h buckets is rocking horse sh1t, and s/h value of sports seats is zero unless you can find one of the rare people that want them.

Good luck - it isn't easy.......

Fulham71 26 September 2002 11:56 PM

Cheers Dave
I have brought the seats But not sure how to go about this seems very complicated !
Wish you lived closer ;o)
maybe just put up with warning light on dash for a while !

Cheers
Paul

Dave T-S 27 September 2002 08:56 AM

Paul
Allegedly the front airbags will still work with the sports seats removed and no resistor plugged in the seat loom.

I put Cobra Suzuka race seats in mine, and drove around with the airbag light on for a number of months.

It isn't that difficult a job if you know what is involved, and have the parts (i've given you the resistor part number;) ).

Incidentally, don't go poking a multimeter in the end of the seat loom plugs - this can set the airbags off if you put a current through them :eek:

sammyh 27 September 2002 09:06 AM

Dave - remember Police Squad, The Naked gun etc? You know the shoe shine guy that knew everything, well thats you that is :D ;)

Blatant rip off from the Mary Whithouse Experiance.

Dave T-S 27 September 2002 09:23 AM

sammy

LOL :D:D

Police Squad - excellent!!!

<mutters>
So what do you know about removing Impreza airbag seats then....
<mutter off>

Fulham71 27 September 2002 09:26 AM

Cheers for your gem of knowledge dave just trying to sort now !

Dr Hu 27 September 2002 09:41 AM

To be honest you have to see Subaru (UK)'s point.....in todays litigous society if you were injured or killed because the side airbags did not protect you as you had taken them out......who blames who?

We've all seen some of the frankly ridiculous sue cases from the states.........:eek:

It's just the way of the world.....and common sense doesn't apply in law unfortunately!

Not taking sides....just trying to see it from both sides of the fence:D

Dave T-S 27 September 2002 10:05 AM

Dr H
Totally agree with you, and that was basically SUK's line - except at the time SUK were doing buckets as an either/or option on the WRX, plus they commissioned the UK300 which didn't have a sports seat option, plus the bugeye wagon ONLY comes with buckets, which kind of blew their argument out of the water....;);)

Fulham71 27 September 2002 06:00 PM

Dave
are you saying if i can get hold of a resistor is just simply plugs into the end of the cable job done ?
Cheers
Paul

Dave T-S 27 September 2002 10:16 PM

Paul
The pins on the flying lead from the resistor aren't the same spacing as the plug on the end of the loom, but you can either get another plug and solder it on, or take the resistor plug apart and plug the pins into the loom plug.

Fiddly but not unsolvable:)

Fulham71 27 September 2002 10:58 PM

Dave
So you mean that the parts supplied by Subaru at £10 each do not fit ?
What are these parts for then what were they designed to fit ?

Paul

Fulham71 28 September 2002 12:12 AM

Also Dave
does it matter which way round it goes ???? ie can the current pass through the diode in either direction !
Cheers mate
Paul

IanW 28 September 2002 12:16 AM

Paul,

I would hope that it would only plug on one way.

Fulham71 28 September 2002 11:09 PM

CHEERS DAVE
job done now & I couldnt do it without your info
Much appreciated mate
Cheers
paul

JackClark 29 September 2002 08:57 AM

I can remember being gutted about the Sport seats when I ordered my car, even convinced myself that the sport seats were a good idea! My face lit up when my I opened the door on my wagon for the first time and saw the buckets. Ahh, memories. Think I even came on here and wound Dave up about it.

Dave T-S 29 September 2002 10:06 PM

Jack

Yes you did, b'stard.....:D :p