ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   SNOW CHAINS (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/135134-snow-chains.html)

Stuart J 25 September 2002 02:01 PM

OK, a bit early I know but I am going on the cannonball in a couple of weeks & its snowed in Munich today. I believe we are going higher up & further North & some of the entrants are already talking about taking chains. I dont want to buy any here & intend to get some locally if I need them.

Firstly are they easy to get in Switzerland etc, I would guess yes

Secondly any advice appreciated as I have never seen them on a car let alone used them

the car is a STI 3 Wagon, 205/50/16 Wheels shod with Toyos

thanks

Stuart

TonyBurns 25 September 2002 02:07 PM

The book states this about snow chains:-
Driving on snowy grades or icy roads may require the use of tyre chains, in which case put the chains on the front wheels only. Use only chains that are of the correct size for your tyres so as not to damage the vehicle body or suspension.
When driving with tyre chains, drive as speeds below 30km/h (19mph).
Always use the utmost care when driving with tyre chains- overconfidence because you are driving with tyre chains could easily lead to a serious accident.

Hope that helps:D

Tony:D

[Edited by TonyBurns - 9/25/2002 2:07:45 PM]

paul-s 25 September 2002 02:07 PM

dunno bout the chains mate, but are you goin on the cannonball October 5 time onwards. covers 5 countries in 5 days ? that one ?

how much was the entrance fee ?

Stuart J 25 September 2002 02:23 PM

Thanks Tony

Paul, all details including cost on the web site www.cannonballruneurope.co.uk entry list for this year is closed but next years is already planned & will be slightly different & maybe better. If you are interested email me direct after Oct 11th & I will let you know how I got on. If it makes the telly which I think it will watch out for a silver STI Wagon with a distinctive number

Stuart

swaussie 25 September 2002 02:31 PM

Stuart,
Areas where you "need" snow chains are pretty limited and you can get to most places with winter tyres and the 4wd of the Scooby helps enormously. If you are travelling in high alpine regions close to winter I think the extra grip from winter tyres will be your safest option when it comes to light snowfalls and black ice but its also an expensive one. They clear and salt the roads usually within hours of snowfalls so chains rarely need to be used. Maybe if you are the cautious type you can throw in a set of chains just in case.

STi-Frenchie 25 September 2002 02:52 PM

Stuart, swaussie has given you some sound advice. Where I am, on the border with Switzerland, the french aren't nearly as quick off the mark with regard to clearing the roads so I bought a set of chains a few years ago. I highly recommend Trak chains - dead easy to fit and no messing. Might be a bit on the expensive side but if you are going to keep them for a while they are the ones I'd go for. Set of two runs to about 500 francs. http://www.trak.ch/montage_e.html

[Edited by STi-Frenchie - 9/25/2002 2:53:17 PM]

[Edited by STi-Frenchie - 9/25/2002 2:53:59 PM]

paul-s 25 September 2002 03:41 PM

That cannonball looks the fcuking nuts ! ! wish I could go !

have the time of yer life mate !

Stuart J 25 September 2002 04:10 PM

Paul,

Go into the forum section, look up the thread pink rx7, that is rumoured to be packing 750 bhp, Should give a few of the supercars a run for their money

DavidRB 25 September 2002 04:26 PM

Driving on snowy grades or icy roads may require the use of tyre chains, in which case put the chains on the front wheels only.
Never understood that one, surely it would make the car oversteer like crazy?

TonyBurns 25 September 2002 04:43 PM

On the front wheels only due to the fact that you have to have grip to steer ;)

Tony:D

DavidRB 25 September 2002 05:13 PM

:D Yea, but what makes the rears follow the fronts if they aren't gripping? ;)

Kiwi 25 September 2002 09:25 PM

Living in Aberdeenshire I use my scooby on snow & ice fairly frequently. Don't bother with chains, just make sure you have good depth of tread on your tyres.

If the Scooby needs chains then the other cars are going to struggle.