ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Standalone ECU Monitor (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/134067-standalone-ecu-monitor.html)

AndrewC 23 September 2002 04:03 PM

David,

YHM re. PCB.

Andrew....

NENO 23 September 2002 04:39 PM

I'm certainly interested in a built version to suit a my97uk car.

Mike

Fizz 23 September 2002 05:08 PM

Tony & I go to Worcester meets regular and both interested. I have MY01 he has MY02 STI type uk... Any chance of using us a guinea pigs ???

jim litten 23 September 2002 05:42 PM

Hi mate,

As you know I don't want to connect it up permanently, do we/anyone know where you can get a select monitor plug from?

:)

Jim

AndrewC 23 September 2002 07:06 PM

Jim,

The best way to do it is to piggyback another connector (I use a 4 pin mini-din) into the back of the select port behind the dash.

This way the connector and lead is always hidden but can also be unplugged at any time - e.g. when putting the car on a select monitor.

I'll show you what I mean when I see you next.

Andrew...

Glenn Coombs 24 September 2002 12:05 PM

Where is the monitor select port anyway ? Is it in the engine compartment or is it accessible from inside the vehicle ?

David_Wallis 24 September 2002 12:15 PM

Im going to see if I can find a source for the select monitor plugs... so ill let you know...

David

ozzy 24 September 2002 12:16 PM

It's under the steering column (just down and to the right to be exact) on MY99/MY00 cars.

Have a look here to see it being used with the EcuTek DeltaDash software http://www.ecutek.com/support/manuals/

Stefan

fubar 24 September 2002 12:50 PM

This sounds too good to be true ...
- I get a boost gauge + assorted other readouts for 40-50 quid.
- Install only needs a few scotchlocks to some cables sitting under steering column...
- Night illumination ...
(But will it make the tea?)
WHO DO I MAKE THE CHEQUE PAYABLE TO ??

Would need to fit my MY99 though.
This sounds fan-bl00dy-tastic.
Edited to say 40-50 quid rather than the 30 you mentioned as I think you should probably want to make a few quid for your effort on these.

[Edited by fubar - 9/24/2002 12:52:07 PM]

ScoobyDuck 24 September 2002 05:17 PM

David,

would be interested in a source of these plugs too, as me, Andrew, Paul, Scott have ALL been trying to get them - but to no avail!

found a Jap site that should sell them (according to another site) - but cant navigate it to find it!
it's an audio connector in Japan apparently !!!

cheers
Steve

p.s. BTTT for Andrew, as this is a top project & he's a real wizz ! :D ( & I had some stuff to do with it too.. ;))

scoobymac 24 September 2002 06:36 PM

Andrew

I would be intrested in a built unit for my98 UK spec
as and when you have one,it looks real good.

cheers

Mike.

AndrewC 24 September 2002 07:01 PM

I've started to put some information on the web:

www.scoobymonitor.co.uk

You would be amazed at the number of emails I've been getting on this little box of tricks:D And the commercial interest:o

I know a source of select monitor plugs in the states, the only reason I've never bought one is the fact that they have a minimum order quantity, the URL is on my PC at work, I'll dig it out and post it. I think the bare plugs were less than $10, with something like a $80 minimum, but I could have just made that up.

Anyway, have a look at the website, I'll get some diagrams and code up there soon along with some prices for chips, PCBs and fully built units.

Andrew...

Fizz 24 September 2002 11:27 PM

Andrew as I said my MY01 can be used as a guinea pig if required for this ECU type... Very very interested... let me know what you are going to do regaring selling this superb box of tricks!!

AndrewC 25 September 2002 08:48 AM

I think there may be a bit of confusion creeping in here, Jim is looking for an OBD2 connector, I assume David and Steve are referring to the yellow AMP multilock type connector used prior to the dashboard facelift (1998).

As I said above I have a contact for OBD2 connectors for about USD10 + shipping, the minimum order quantity is USD50 not 80 as I originally thought so I may go ahead and order some.

If anyone is interested in one of these please email me.

Andrew...

chiark 25 September 2002 10:32 AM

Page not found?

Looks excellent, if you can then please keep this in the public domain!!!!!

:D

ozzy 25 September 2002 02:39 PM

Andrew,

How far are you away from a MY99/MY00 version?

Stefan

ozzy 25 September 2002 03:53 PM

For those of you interested, these links are pretty useful

http://www.scantool.net/resources.htm
http://www.multiplex-engineering.com/

If you do search on OBDII in Google, you'll get loads of info.

Stefan

Stephen Cole 25 September 2002 03:54 PM

Could we just clarify what MY's your system is working with

ie early MYs (up to 97ish?) with the yellow AMP multilock type connector, and the starnge slow baud rate

Or later MY's with OBD2 connectors (and/or some other type of select monitor connector)

Stephen
MY94 WRX
and interested

Pavlo etc are the experts at interfacing with the early MY connector !

ozzy 25 September 2002 04:00 PM

According to Andrew's first post it's for MY97/MY98 ECU's. AFAIK, MY99+ use the OBDII connector, but can't comment on pre MY97's.

Stefan

Raks 25 September 2002 04:08 PM

Andrew

YHM :D

Cheers
Raks

ScoobyDuck 25 September 2002 04:21 PM

Stephen, ozzy's right ... it's the funny yellow connector slow baudrate that it was made for...
BUT
the newer cars also support this funny stuff, even tho they have OBD-II. so a different connector will be needed, but will still work ok (subject to Andrew saying any different, but I beilive he's worked on a newer car already)

so should be ok for the entier range 93->STI7 !!!

things will obvioulsy be in different places in the ECU, so you'll need a year specific model .. but if Andrew & or myself / someone else can get the needed data addresses from the ECU, then it's all possible (apart from multiple logging on pre97's)

Steve

[Edited coz I really dont know how to use a computer!]

[Edited by ScoobyDuck - 9/25/2002 4:23:49 PM]

PSI3 25 September 2002 04:28 PM

Andrew, we are working on something similar , e.g plugs into select monitor, reads out boost etc... plus a few other extras were still tyring to sort out but will be be along the lines of the S.E.C.S. used by the Cosworth boys, If your interested in a chat drop me a mail.

simon

AndrewC 25 September 2002 09:14 PM

Hi,

The monitor I have developed will work on MY97/98 cars at the moment (even though the actual connector changed from MY97 to MY98), I am also working on the MY99/00 version and will be looking at a MY02 car in the next couple of weeks.

I believe I have the addresses for pre-97 cars although my code will need changing slightly because of the single memory address read limitation.

If you look at the Protocol and Installation pages on www.scoobymonitor.co.uk I have tried to explain everything more clearly.

Sourcing OBD plugs is not a problem but I have not yet managed to find a plug for the early connector.

Andrew...

PS. Simon I was going to send you an email this evening anyway.

AndrewC 25 September 2002 09:57 PM

Simon,

My email to your hotmail account got bounced?

Please contact me at info@scoobymonitor.co.uk

Thanks
Andrew...

David_Wallis 26 September 2002 12:04 AM

Ive spoken to simon about the early connectors...

David

Charlie H 26 September 2002 10:53 AM

Would be very interested if you can develop it for early WRX's (MY93 in my case) :)

Scotsman 29 September 2002 08:40 PM

BTT - any more news on the MY99 version?

Pavlo 29 September 2002 09:34 PM

Andrew,

As I understand it, it would be relatively easy to convert to pre97 by changing the addresses in the lookup table.

paul

AliG 30 September 2002 03:07 AM

Just to keep you motivated yet more interest in your project from a MY93 WRX owner keep it going lads and I am sure you will have no problem selling a shed load of these for reasonable money keeping every one happy

Alistair

tonymy01 30 September 2002 04:06 AM

Just a quicky question...
Is there a difference between connecting to the yellow connector (pre-97)and the ODBII connector (98 on) (apart from the physical connector difference)? I have heard that the 98 on actually has two connectors, one being the ODB style accessible under the wheel, and one being ?? taped up in the same loom (I have seen it on my MY01).
So answering my own question a little, I take it that it hoooks up to Pin16(12v), Pin5(gnd), Pin12(mfr Txd), Pin13(MFR Rxd) on the new style connector, but with the same protocol?
Thanks, regards
Tony