ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Digital photagraphy and printing? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/131901-digital-photagraphy-and-printing.html)

msp1 15 September 2002 09:25 PM

Finally bought a digital camera. Can anyone recommend any companies that offer a digital printing service? Been on Boots website but couldn't find it.

Mike

MartinM 15 September 2002 09:45 PM

The bigger Boots and Asda stores do it and most Jessops...just take a CD-R you've created or the Compact Flash/Smart Media card with the images on it.

Boots do 40 prints at 6x4 for £8.00 - and if you edit them beforehand, you'll have 40 prints to keep rather than throwing 10-40% away ;)

There's a few web-based ones where you have to upload your pics, but that's a real pain - I've never used them/

msp1 15 September 2002 09:49 PM

Thanks Martin

If I crop pics beforehand I will be changing the aspect ratio, ie instead of having a 6x4 image I may have a 5x4. Does this matter, would I get a 6x4 print back with 1/2" margins either side or are they cut to suit.

Mike

Allan 15 September 2002 10:57 PM

Mike try Here

Very impresive results from a 2.1 MP camera.
Allan

msp1 15 September 2002 11:17 PM

Just had a look, will give them a try.

Thanks
Mike

Alpine 16 September 2002 11:12 AM

www.fotango.com owned by Canon.. great service

Pavlo 16 September 2002 11:40 AM

www.photobox.co.uk

all I've used so far, and the quality is excellent, will be the same as any using the Fuji process.

Paul

MartinM 16 September 2002 11:43 AM

Mike

Not exactly sure...;)

They certainly don't put a white strip at the top/bottom..
..so I suspect they take the centre section of the longest edge that gives the right aspect ratio with the shorter edge and then enlarge/reduce to fit the actual print.

So if you 'close crop' and don't supply the right aspect ratio consistent with the print size, you'll not know what you're gonna get.

So, of course, I always keep the original image and crop to the print size aspect ratio as required. I can then re-print at a different aspect ratio by re-cropping the original again.

Martin

PS of course the advantage of Boots/Asda is that it can all be done in an hour - I've had 80 prints done in an hour for £16, when it would have taken me several hours (pre-broadband) just to upload them onto the web - and then wait until they arrive next day/2 days later. Providing of course, you've got a Boots/Asda near you!

[Edited by MartinM - 9/16/2002 11:47:11 AM]

GEJL 17 September 2002 10:21 AM

I'll add my vote for Boots. I used internet download ones for a time, but Boots is faster and cheaper!

Josh L 17 September 2002 10:27 AM

Just visit your high street. Most decent camera stores with minilabs now offer the service now and, as has been said, if you edit them first, you'll get no 'throw aways'.

Josh