ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Sort of urgent: Space-saver + Alcons (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/131815-sort-of-urgent-space-saver-alcons.html)

SimonH 15 September 2002 02:03 PM

Sorry, I know it's the wrong forum but need a quick answer:

Will the space saver spare wheel in a P1 fit over Alcons???

Ta
:)

Rob D 15 September 2002 02:20 PM

Simon,

The space saver does not fit over Alcons.
You will have to swap over a rear to the front and put the space save on the rear.

Cheers,

Rob.

[Edited by Rob D - 9/15/2002 2:21:15 PM]

mega_stream 15 September 2002 02:26 PM

Sod will it fit over Alcons, it won't even fit over 4 pots!!
(As I found out one very wet very windy morning :( )
:rolleyes:

SimonH 15 September 2002 03:11 PM

Would I be right in assuming that a full size spare won't fit flush in the boot?

Robertio 15 September 2002 03:19 PM

That is correct Simon, it sticks up by an inch or 2.

Flat 4x4 15 September 2002 04:22 PM

SIMON etc

To quote Michael Douglas "I have the solution to your problems"

1. Buy a used spare for about 50 and tyre if needed.
2. Buy 2 squares of high density foam froma fabric shop (£10)
3. Put full size wheel in well then cut the foam very approximately
to fit either side and towards the cabin side of the well.
4. That's it

You end up with a level but raised boot floor and no more poxy
space saver problems. You can even cut idents out of the foam to lay your fire extinguisher etc in.

OK ?

SimonH 15 September 2002 05:22 PM

Top banana - cheers guys :D

johnfelstead 15 September 2002 06:24 PM

You are of course adding a lot of extra weight right where you dont want it, out the back of the chasis. this will make the car handle worse!

For the amount of times you get a puncture, it's better to have the car handling, is it not? :D

Moles Dad 15 September 2002 06:58 PM

One of my (many) future plans is to find the best quality tyre mousse and do away with the spare completely :)

Phil 15 September 2002 07:09 PM

I carry a can of tyre weld and no spare at all

Phil

Moles Dad 15 September 2002 07:38 PM

Phil, is 'tyre weld' a good make ? have you 'used' it in the past or is it just another one of many ?

(Trying to find THE mousse to use)

SimonH 15 September 2002 07:44 PM

Will the weight of a full size 17" spare make that much difference to the handling? We're talking in terms of driving to and from work a couple of times a week and pootling off to the shops every now and then....plus the occasion Sunday afternoon, ahem, spirited drive :) No track days.
Car's a P1.

NotoriousREV 15 September 2002 08:28 PM

NTM, you're talking about a "solid" steel space saver vs "spoked" aluminium alloy wheel ;)

Flat 4x4 15 September 2002 10:18 PM

Handling! - come on people it makes a marginal difference - 15kg over a slimline?

Call me old fashioned but give me a full size spare anyday as I often have 150 miles to drive before I get home. And .. ever had a flat and had to use a slimline abroad cos you can't find the tyre you need - not nice.

When I go to track days I take the spare out anyway along with the loose tools etc - don't you ?

Or you could buy one of those folding bars to hold the wheel on the back like a Kia Sportage. It would save having to be seen walking into the fabric shop for your foam squares though.

johnfelstead 15 September 2002 10:19 PM

It would to me Simon, but i dont know how sensitive a driver you are so cant comment if you will feel the diference. It will make a diference to the polar moment of inertia.

AJbaseBloke 16 September 2002 05:36 AM

Has anyone tried an STi UK or MY01 spacesaver? I am led to believe that these have greater clearance...esp. if the STi UK one will clear the Brembos, they may clear just about anything!!

nigelward 16 September 2002 08:02 AM

MY01 spacesaver will not fit over the standard 4-pot calipers either and too be honest I wouldn't want it on the front of the car anyway.

Steering the car, even at the modest speeds allowed, would be most interesting. :D

Dirty Wrong'un 16 September 2002 09:35 AM

Money savers are only suppose to go on the back anyway ;)

Also problem I've got with full sized spare is that they're directional, and you can bet anything you like you'll have the wrong 'direction' on the spare ;) ;)

Gus

Wurzel 16 September 2002 09:39 AM

Well there you have it folks, under no circumstances put your weekly shopping in the boot of your scooby as the extra weight will ruin your handling of this precision car. :D:D:D

turb0s 16 September 2002 11:59 AM

yes, so i noticed with 48 cans of cola, and 96 bottles of water.....trip from Makros :)