ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Thinking of getting rid of the scoob!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/130380-thinking-of-getting-rid-of-the-scoob.html)

ademid 10 September 2002 03:25 PM

Been feeling the pull toward the two wheeled type of road hooliganism:D:D:D Although I don't currently hold a bike licence I am considering one of the direct access courses.

Although I would love to dive straight on too a Ducati 996sps I know would more than likely kill me. So have got myself down to a choice of two bike I consider to be slightly less lethal (only just though) An R6 or a Ducati 748.

Just after thoughts from anyone else who has made this move, and if anyone knows an insurance company that takes car NCB for use on a bike that would be handy.

Any advise listened to (although not nessecarily taken:D)

Ade:D

Please no suggestions of buying a 125 hairdrier as that is not an option!!

zooey1234 10 September 2002 03:29 PM

Good idea,I am in the same shoes, except that I'll keep the scooby for the winter and bad weather days.

ademid 10 September 2002 03:36 PM

I have a company car now so the scoob is in the garage all week anyway:( Only comes out on weekends and sunny occasions as it is!!

Just can't help but think if you must have a pure weekend toy why not something that will provide the ultimate thrill? And give me a bit more space in the garage;):D:D:D:D

ice man 10 September 2002 03:36 PM

R1

Andy Porter 10 September 2002 03:38 PM

Well said zooey, I have both and although you think ' I'll be ok on just a bike ' wait till your frozen to death in November onwards, when you have got 2 hopes of having fun on a bike.....
Didn't mean to be negative, just been there ;)
Andyp

ps How about a cheaper bike first ? Fairing on R6's or 748's don't come cheap.....

dnb 10 September 2002 03:53 PM

I was told by an insurance co that you can transfer bike NCB to a car, but not vice versa (even if it was from a bike to begin with). They seemed to indicate that this was common across all companies, but I didn't check further.

Good luck, and enjoy having no front numberplate and thus SPECS and Truvelo immunity ;)

ademid 10 September 2002 04:19 PM

Always been a car man too which is kinda why I've ended up with that choice of bikes. Its not just performance I'm after I have to like the looks aswell. Unfortunatley alot of the slightly lesser bikes although similar performance handleing Etc etc just don't look as good. Maybe I'm just a tart!!:D:D

Stuart J 10 September 2002 04:37 PM

Looks = Harley
Riding experience = Ducati
& BOTH Sound the Business

Only my opinion

MattW 09 October 2002 04:01 PM

An R6 will kill you too, as will a 50cc moped.

Riding a bike is a skill. You can learn the skill, but the more experience you have the better you will become. The trouble with a bike is one small mistake generally has bigger consequences than one in a car.

Why not buy a SV650 or a Fazer, something cheap on insurance which will be lots of fun, then move up to a 996 in a couple of years.
You can pick up a three year old bike fairly cheaply (they are only 4k to 5k new), maybe you can keep the scoob too ;)

PS - I did the DAS and had an SV for a couple of years. I was never into bikes as a kid, cars where the thing, so it was purely a toy. Sold it when the missus became pregnant. Whatever you say about the fun to be had on bikes, there is always some other guy on the road, could n't justify the risk of the danger in riding it the odd weekend (meaning I was getting a great deal of experience).

[Edited by MattW - 9/10/2002 4:01:32 PM]