ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   tarox disc's........good or bad? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/129391-tarox-discs-good-or-bad.html)

dmel 09 July 2002 03:35 PM

I have the G88 discs (the ones with the 40 grooves and no drills). I think the one with the 7ish grooves and holes in between are lower spec discs.

I find the G88 discs along with Tarox pads OK on my MY99.

[Edited by dmel - 9/7/2002 3:36:32 PM]

shunty 09 July 2002 06:36 PM

I have the tarox kit (calipers & discs) on my motor & it's fantastic, I run them with DS3000 which are probably overkill for road use, but I didn't realise at the time. They don't fade at all on the road.
I would also take a look at the Godspeed stuff as well, seen some great reports on here about them.

shunty

[Edited by shunty - 9/7/2002 6:38:14 PM]

compo 07 September 2002 12:06 PM

Can anyone tell me if this is the right way to go, im thinking of upgrading my 2 pot standard 94'wrx front disc's, for some tarox grooved and drilled and up rated pads, its 350 quid fitted at powerstation in Cheltenham, as ive not to much of a clue, can anyone tell me if this is best, and im on a bit of a budget so 4 pot AP's are out of the question.................

Hoppy 07 September 2002 02:03 PM

You need to get rid of those 2-pot calipers. I'd give Godspeed a call. I think they can do you something better for similar money. Not a million miles from you, either.

Cheers,

Richard.

dowser 07 September 2002 02:13 PM

I found those discs OK for road use with nothing more aggressive than a ds2000 with the later 4 pot calipers. On track with these pads they just faded quickly and needed nursing.

More aggressive pads (ds2500) used on track killed the discs quickly :)

Basically, if you intend track use then you should spend more money now...it *will* save you money in the long run :)

Richard
PS: if you do get them, the grooves go backwards!

Erik 09 September 2002 02:30 PM

I have 40grooved and Mintex 1155 pads + Sparco hoses. Braking distance is much beter like standard setup and dont fade on the road. But this setup is max for 20-30 000km becouse pads eats disc but very good for 2pots.

Catalunya 051 11 September 2002 01:02 AM

I used G88s and liked them, but with normal pads and 2 pots they fade a little on roads. Getting a 4 pots from a dealer having a clear out in Carlisle and going to fit Tarox G88s (they look good too) again.

Erik: I found Mintex 1155s ate not only the disk but anything that came too close, small furry animals, left over curry the lot! Pad:Disk ratio = 2:1! The G88s and cheapo pattern part pads were as good in every way as OE disks and 1155s, with the added advantage of silence and wheels that didn't look like bad copies of P1 rims on the front only!