ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Will I or wont I get made redundant?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/128819-will-i-or-wont-i-get-made-redundant.html)

MarkO 09 May 2002 03:02 PM

Er, wrong forum? :D

No such thing as a 'safe job' in any industry, Tone Loc... :(

[Edited by MarkO - 9/5/2002 3:03:14 PM]

NDT 09 May 2002 03:36 PM

from the sounds of it, people working in IT should adopt the management consultants mentality (and I'm talking about the serious strategy firms, not the others)
- it's a very well paid field
- it can be enjoyable (true for IT?)
- you make great contacts which can lead to a good job afterwards (true for IT?)
- BUT sooner or later you will be fired. (probably more likely with consulting firms up or out policies than for IT)

there's nothing to do but start the serious job hunt now....
this won't make it any easier right now, but chance are that something will turn up.

[Edited by NDT - 9/5/2002 3:37:56 PM]

TopBanana 09 May 2002 05:04 PM

Affected. Sheesh. :)

Edited to add smiley!!

[Edited by jlanng - 9/5/2002 5:04:35 PM]

David_Wallis 05 September 2002 02:14 PM

Watch this space :(

David

chiark 05 September 2002 02:14 PM

oh **** mate. Fingers crossed for you.

Ray_li 05 September 2002 02:16 PM

I hope not m8

Will i or wont i get a job?
been looking for 3-4 weeks now :(
Ray

Tone Loc 05 September 2002 02:17 PM

I'll echo that, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I thought that IT jobs were safe :( .

Tony.

David_Wallis 05 September 2002 02:25 PM

they have decided that we expanded for growth that never came?

two of our lotus notes team have to apply for one job..

looks like my managers, manager has gone...

oh and our placement student thats been here a couple of weeks has gone..

David

Pavlo 05 September 2002 02:29 PM

you could always sell that old car of yours, you don't use it much anyway these days ;)

arse

jasonwrxowner 05 September 2002 03:04 PM

Will I or won't I end up in the Non-Scooby forum..........

P20SPD 05 September 2002 03:06 PM

Still there?????

uxg 05 September 2002 03:16 PM

The IT market has gone crap cos it has been flooded by fly by night cowboys who have MCSE's bought at a car boot sale. People with no previous experience jumping on the bandwagon cos they thought they could earn big bucks in IT and 90% of companies interview techniques aren't good enough to spot these fakes and only realise a few weeks after they have employed the YTS trainee with their paper MCSE. All IMHO of course

I think I will move out of IT into a field I know nothing about and then just try to blag my way in. I dunno, do nuclear scientists earn good money. I'm sure I could obtain a Phd in 6 weeks or maybe just buy one from somehere or I hear tube drivers make quite good money these days.

paul-s 05 September 2002 03:19 PM

screwing mate.

and lotus notes is a pain in the arse.

anyone know how to open links that get mailed to you in lotus notes in iexplore instead of another mail window.

been stuck on that for ages.

MarkO 05 September 2002 03:24 PM

fly by night cowboys who have MCSE's bought at a car boot sale.
You don't have to buy them. They give 'em away free. ;) :p

anyone know how to open links that get mailed to you in lotus notes in iexplore instead of another mail window.
The simplest way to do this is to copy the link onto the clipboard, and then use the key Combination ALT-F4. Once that pile of sh*te Notes has disappeared, you can then open IE and paste the link in at your leisure. ;) :D

bioforger 05 September 2002 03:26 PM

Paul, for launching the URL's. In my notes, I go file/preferences/location preferences then internet explorer, and make sure interner browser is set as Internet explorer. You've probably got it set as Notes or Notes with Internet explorer.

jasonwrxowner 05 September 2002 03:31 PM

Told ya!

<Sits here looking smug>

BBSparkys_Cupra 05 September 2002 03:32 PM

Which version of Notes? in R5 you edit location ( bottom right of screen) then on the Internet Browser Tab change it to Internet Explorer. Should do it. Cant remember what it was in 4.6 but think it was the same. Any space for a Notes developer at your place? mines looking shaky!

Marc

paul-s 05 September 2002 03:35 PM

bioforger

tried that - well happy now it works. 1 year ive been doing it the notes way, and im so chuffed its no more. i can open a link, then change pages, go back forward. its a touch. feel like a new man.

cheers

MarkO 05 September 2002 03:39 PM

I think that the main problem here is that contractors forget that one of the main reason we're paid (on average) twice what permanent staff are is because we're expendable, and should expect to have our contracts ended without notice at any time. We're earning extra money 'cos of the extra financial risk.

I get sick and tired of hearing about contractors who, having been on a short-term contract earning upwards of £50/hour, then complain that they're hard done-by when their contract was terminated or not renewed....

S55 HOT 05 September 2002 03:42 PM

Hope for the best.

Plan for the worst.

David_Wallis 05 September 2002 04:03 PM

still here... breifing at 16:45...

David

P20SPD 05 September 2002 04:09 PM

There is nothing like leaving it late in the day, just to make everyone cr4p themselves even more!!!

David_Wallis 05 September 2002 04:12 PM

true and my welder isnt here yet.

David

P20SPD 05 September 2002 04:16 PM

Thats even worse!!

ps my emails to you keep getting returned for some reason?:confused:

IanW 05 September 2002 04:19 PM

That was what happened to me, told at 16:45 on the Friday before the bank holiday!

P20SPD 05 September 2002 04:25 PM

Hope you dont end up getting the https://www.gamers-forums.com/smilie...otine_anim.gif

David_Wallis 05 September 2002 04:58 PM

right... just got a letter, not effected...

David

P20SPD 05 September 2002 05:17 PM

PPPPPHHHHEEEEWWWWWW!!!!:D Roll on FMIC:p

R.B.5 05 September 2002 05:24 PM

David hope you keep your job mate and if you dont then they obviously dont realise what you are worth and therefore arent worth working for...am i right?

chiark 06 September 2002 11:13 AM

Marvellous - fancy a beer then :D ?