ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Schools back = Heavy morning traffic (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/128586-schools-back-heavy-morning-traffic.html)

Spudgun VI 09 May 2002 08:15 AM

all i see are frumpy housewives peering over the steering wheel of latest fashionable 4x4 offroader(which is usually cleaner than my evo:rolleyes:) carting their pasty overweight kids the 2 mile journey to work.

makes my blood boil[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[Edited by Spudgun VI - 9/5/2002 8:16:29 AM]

Doc@IlsonIlson 04 September 2002 07:50 PM

But why are there never any children in any of the cars???
Puzzled Doc

ChrisB 04 September 2002 07:55 PM

Pass but add 10 to 15 minutes to my run into work now :rolleyes:

King RA 04 September 2002 08:40 PM

When I was a lad I rode a bike to school. There are far too many children getting lifts into school these days. I suppose it's what you have in a society of child abductions and paeodophiles. I feel the schools should encourage pooling of parents cars if they are going to drive, nationwide this could cut the problem down a great deal. I feel companys should also make it their duty to at least try schemes like this, at the end if the day they have everyones address and start finish times, it would be easy to work out schemes which have minimal fuss to the employees.

Pavlo 04 September 2002 10:16 PM

all those people that don't work the summer, all the teachers, college dudes etc, plus people that now are off busy doing things with the kids out of the way.

Can add 50% to my journey time, but I am on flex time, so I can get in at 9.30 or 7.30, both avoid the traffic (but after 7.45 it's just as bad till 9.00)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 04 September 2002 10:24 PM

Not at all a problem for me ATM :D

:p :p

dnb 04 September 2002 10:47 PM

Ah, the wonders of flexi time ;)

I hardly ever sit in queues, unless I'm late getting up.
(And I hardly ever work Friday afternoons :D )

You must also remember there are a good many people who work, and have kids, so they take holiday in the summer as well. It's not just the stereotypical "School run" that increases traffic.

P1Fanatic 04 September 2002 11:13 PM

I work shifts 8-8 so miss all the traffic. Would hate going back to 9-5 for this reason alone.

AndiThompson 05 September 2002 12:22 AM

I wander into sixth form, sadly i have to do it at 8:30 am :eek:

555-Shaggy 05 September 2002 08:27 AM

Doc,
You noticed.. its been nice the last few weeks hasn't it - apart from the road works on the ring road.. Glad I'm not the only one to notice

Brun 05 September 2002 08:58 AM

It's always nice to see the sixth form girls walking to school.:D

Puff The Magic Wagon! 05 September 2002 09:23 AM

Brun

Its when you start looking @ 5th then 4th then 3rds that you should get worried :eek:

;)

STi wanna Subaru 05 September 2002 09:25 AM

so you worried then PTMW? :D ;)

Brun 05 September 2002 09:34 AM

School uniforms, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D:D:D:D:D

Jodster 05 September 2002 10:10 AM

Brun, you're the reason they need be driven to school :)

Saw a walking school bus once. Driving through Reigate one morning I saw about five mums and about twelve kids walking along the pavement, the mums wearing daygo jackets saying "school bus". I gave them a toot and they gave me the thumbs up.

Jen 05 September 2002 10:24 AM

There are loads of schemes like this all over the place now - in fact, I have a box of "school bus" reflectors underneath my desk :) We're even starting to make the areas outside schools "car free" here :cool::) Safer for the kids but realistically just moves the problem elsewhere <sigh> if only traffic problems were easy to solve :rolleyes::)

Jen

SiDHEaD 05 September 2002 11:32 AM

I'm on Flexitime, but find whenever I try to leave early on a friday everyone else has decided to and it takes 50% longer to get home!!!

Gotta agree with the comment on 6th form girls ;-) Oops best hope BeetleBabe doesn't read that :D :D :D

Andy