ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   samco hoses? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/128522-samco-hoses.html)

HKSubaru 09 April 2002 03:56 PM

what do these improve on? pressure? what gain could i get?

oh and would a MY99 be the same fitting as a MY95?

[Edited by HKSubaru - 9/4/2002 3:56:51 PM]

nom 09 April 2002 07:05 PM

If the intercooler pipes split a little, you end up chasing phantoms around the engine.
If they split a lot, the car stops moving :) No air gets to the engine for one thing!

It's a good idea, if you're running 1bar+, to change the pipes to & from the intercooler. Could save a lot of hassle :)

[Oops - posted this at the same time as the last post! Cleared it up a little...]

[Edited by nom - 9/4/2002 7:07:08 PM]

ozzy 09 May 2002 08:29 AM

It's true, the STI's have a metal Y-Piece which fits under the Intercooler. It's also supplied as part of the Prodrive Performance Pack, but you can buy it as a seperate Prodrive item from Performance Subaru.

Yeah, it's OTT but you'll never have to worry about it splitting :)

Personally, I'm going for some nice shiny Blue Samco ones :)

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 9/5/2002 8:39:10 AM]

jim litten 04 September 2002 04:05 PM

No performance gain from fitting samco hoses but they are more reliable than the dodgy hoses that are fitted as standard if you're going to up the boost. And the fitments are different as the intercoolers changed.

Jim

ps the different colour adds loads of power mentally!!!!!

HKSubaru 04 September 2002 04:07 PM

what are the metal hoses called? and what gain can i get from that? or is it the same with no performance gain?
where can i get them from?

mega_stream 04 September 2002 04:36 PM

Have a look here for the ally intercooler pipe, they are expensive, around £200 I think..
http://www.performancesubaru.co.uk

Look under the Induction section.

Probably better off with a Samco intercooler hose, cheaper and does the same thing

ozzy 04 September 2002 06:48 PM

The STI's are fitted with ally ones, so try some breakers. The Prodrive one is (AFAIK) just a STI one. They like charging you lots of money when it comes with a Prodrive badge ;)

You should defo upgrade the hoses if your upping the boost.

Stefan

mega_stream 04 September 2002 07:02 PM

What's the worst that could happen upping the boost on stock pipes though? Surley they split and you loose boost.

My thoughts on pipes are if they aint split don't change em
Then change to better ones if/when they do split.

clint . 04 September 2002 07:04 PM

My water pump seized up and burst a rad hose! if i had samco hoses could this blow the head gasket? as i was thinking of getting the hoses aswell.

Clint.

P20SPD 04 September 2002 07:32 PM

By metal pipes i think IIRC he could possibly mean the alloy pipes for a front mount intercooler.

nom 04 September 2002 08:43 PM

The STi pipes have a metal y-piece - that was my assumption of what was meant anyway :). Probably overkill, and I'd have thought a terrific way of raising the intake temp from where they are positioned!

alcazar 05 September 2002 12:20 PM

Can you get the Samco ones in red?
Where's the best place to get a set for a '98 turbo?
Is it worth doing ALL the hoses, or just the ones from/to the intercooler?

nom 05 September 2002 12:37 PM

Red is harder to get hold of than blue, but easier than other colours! Available from all over the place.
The intercooler ones are the only 'necessary' ones - you can do the water ones, but that's for show, and the air inlet one does have a increase performance but is a pain to fit & needs remapping, really. For the air inlet type, you're better off with other manufacturer's ones anyway; the Samco one isn't that good.

jim litten 05 September 2002 05:22 PM

I had no problem getting red ones for my 99, next day delivery from GGR, they were one of the few places that had any samco in stock.

Jim

:)