ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   personal view on ecu reset (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/127754-personal-view-on-ecu-reset.html)

BKS 02 September 2002 03:01 PM

i know, i know. It has been done to death bu just thought i would shed my personal experience.

Got my car back from service last week and dont know whether it was a coincidence or just in my head, but the car definately felt sluggish through the gears. (it is a V with a P1 ECU)

AS far as i know, the car has always been run on super/optimax but thought i would try and reset the ecu to factory settings anyway. Filled up with BP super (98 ron) + octane booster and ran it for 20 miles. Reset the ECU and bugger me!!! Totally different car. well worth 30 mins of my time.

I know you shouldnt make a habbit of it but glad i have done it just once. The car actually feels like it should do. Well stoked.

ben

SDUKES 02 September 2002 03:13 PM

Tried to do it to MY96 but couldnt find the greena nd black conenctors under the steering column.. any hints?

BKS 02 September 2002 03:18 PM

dunno. just popped off the dash under the steering wheel and they were just there staring me in the face.

I know that they do vary from model to model but they are generally all in very similar positions. Sometimes they are taped up and stuck out of view.

HamishTheWagon 02 September 2002 03:49 PM

Recline your seat fully .. lie with your head beside the pedals and your feet where your head would normally be. That's how I managed to see mine :) .. Green connectors are larger than Black.

I KNOW that it shouldn't have made any difference what so ever (801 ECU - MY99 (in an MY00)) .. but it has .. honest, particularly from 2.5K to 3.5K, smoother not so hesitant :)

Hamish The Wagon.

Hanley 02 September 2002 03:56 PM

Is it true you can just leave your battery unplugged overnight and that resets your ECU?

Makalu 02 September 2002 06:00 PM

I thought BP Super Unleaded was 97RON ??? Thought Only Optimax is 98RON???

Mak.

BKS 02 September 2002 06:38 PM

hanley - true. Leaving your battery off will do it but you MAY get problems with your alarm and codes for your stereo

Mak - so did i but there is a BP garage next to me that has genuine 98 RON SUL. :D:D:D However the old wallet is a bit :(:(:(

ben

BKS 02 September 2002 09:41 PM

are we going to go down the same debate on 2 different threads mak???:D:D:D:D

john banks 02 September 2002 10:28 PM

On a P1 it will make a difference for a short time because the ECU will advance again for 100-102 RON fuel. All you will do is make it det slightly though until it learns the timing again.

On a 99/00 UK car, I only reset when I have made a major change or reflashed a new map to the ECU as I want to see present knock correction not a load of historical stuff that I have just mapped to account for.

Reset earlier cars if you change the fuel or mod it.

HELLOM8 03 September 2002 12:39 PM

SDUKES,
They are there M8. Take off the panel under the steering colum first. They are sometimes tapped up but they are there. I have a MY96 also, the greens are very light in colour and quite big connectors, where as the black ones are quite small connectors. There are also other cables and connectors under there but the ones you want are the only one that will fit into each other.
Cheers.
Ian.