ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Running-in information required (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/127677-running-in-information-required.html)

chrisp 09 February 2002 12:27 PM

Let it warm up in a morning at least 5 miles.

Keep it under 4000 rpm for the 1st 1000 miles then get the oil changed to a semi-synthetic and a fully syn at 5000 miles.

Let it idle for at least a minute after a run to allow th eoil to get round the turbo.

On the new STI you are able to set the warning buzzer/rev limiter to what ever you want, I suggest about 3,800 revs to start with.

All scoob engines, old shape and new, are tight when new and need a few thousand miles to loosen. After 1000 mile service dont go mad, build up the revs gradually.

Ignore the idiots you nail it from cold on a new engine as it just a big bill waiting to happen ;).

Cheers

Chris

[Edited by chrisp - 9/2/2002 12:29:52 PM]

AndyS44 02 September 2002 12:13 PM

Expecting STI delivery this weekend.

Very concerned about looking after new pride and joy therefore wish to run-in carefully.

Is there any agreed wisdom on this? Has it been done to death in another thread?

help...

PS won't be called Romeo!! lol!

Baby Blue 02 September 2002 12:58 PM

I was told pretty much the same think as quoted by chrisp. Only one thing to add, was told not above 3,000 rpm for the first 10-15 mins. to allow for warming up.

BB

Boost II 02 September 2002 02:02 PM

Take it easy as described above for 1000 miles which is frustrating but it soon goes. I don't think there is any actual big pile of broken cars anywhere that were all thrashed when new so don't worry too much. You just want to be able to think that you did the best for it really but don't become too obsessed or crap yourself if you accidentally over rev on the odd occasion.

To add to the above, vary the engine speed quite a lot over the initial 1000 miles don't do it all up and down motorways at 3500 rpm and don't do it all around town - needs a good mix.

Also consider the strain you are putting on the engine - if you rev past 4000 going downhill on a sweeping piece of dual carriage way, it is probably not as bad as chugging up a steep hill in 4th/5th gear at 1500 rpm.

Claudius 02 September 2002 05:39 PM

Whilst I agree with what has been said above, I'd like to add that you should also not come on boost, whatever the revs. That means fit a boost gauge (or electronic boost controller) and do not go over zero bar or watch the throttle position. Do not open more than around 20% - 25%.

Boost II 02 September 2002 05:55 PM

In fact, why not just leave it in the garage for 1000 miles:rolleyes:

Flat 4x4 02 September 2002 06:34 PM

Do not come on boost ? Eh ?

Never seen that as a running instruction on any turbo car I've ever owned.

I'd stick to the common sense keep below 4k, vary the revs, dont labour the engine and allow to warm up / cool down

warbs 02 September 2002 09:42 PM

Don't worry about the 1000 mile thing - just do a few donuts - this'll put at least 1000 miles worth of wear on everything in a matter of seconds !

I'll get me coat...