ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Indicators to sidelights and sidelights to indicators ! (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/127311-indicators-to-sidelights-and-sidelights-to-indicators.html)

alcazar 09 March 2002 11:56 AM

MD: I'd be interested in a "how to" on this too please.
BEL: don't think the coppers would bother too much, as a sidelight is only 5W.

[Edited by alcazar - 9/3/2002 11:57:45 AM]

Moles Dad 09 July 2002 09:48 AM

Right thats it...you can all just fcuk right off !!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm not going to even bother posting my stylish ideas in future :)

ps, Mark, how did you get on with that boat? is it ok?

[Edited by Moles Dad - 9/7/2002 10:11:55 AM]

Moles Dad 31 August 2002 08:49 PM

I've just finished a wee project that I have been thinking of doing for a while now....

Now have 5w sidelight bulbs in the clear front indicators and 21w amber bulbs in the oe sidelight housing :)

WHY ? cos I like it :D

Long live the Dremmel :)

Avi 31 August 2002 08:59 PM

Thought about that myself.. used to have a similar setup on my old *Cough* Nova ;)

Let's see some pics :)

Andy

Moles Dad 31 August 2002 09:18 PM

I'll post up some pics tomorrow, Mole is out and I dont know how to...spose I'll have to learn one day :)

It does need some silver bulbs now though!!!

LG John 31 August 2002 11:54 PM

Right what is the silver bulb stuff all about. I've just installed my new front clear indicators and the light reflecting of the orange bulb is sometime so strong it's hardly worth having clear indicators :rolleyes: Would I be right in assuming that you can get some sort of silver bulb that prevents this yet still shines orange when illuminated??

Is so how, when, where, how much, etc :)

ScoobyJawa 01 September 2002 10:54 AM

www.powerbulbs.com

Phillips Silver Vision - IMHO are a must with the clear indicators :D

They are a slightly wrong fit, you have to file off one of the lugs on the bulb but they still go in fine and securely - not had a prob in over a year with mine.............

Cheers
Neil.

LG John 01 September 2002 12:01 PM

Are you absolutely certain they will fit with a bit of simple modification? Its just the Impreza isn't listed in the 'will it fit my car list'

alcazar 01 September 2002 01:49 PM

I got some that are a spot-on fit from TSL. Can't remember the make, I just happened to mention to Trouser (Paul) that I'd had to take some Philips ones back as they didn't fit, and he went into "Super-salesman" mode, and flogged me a set that are a perfect fit.

Moles Dad 01 September 2002 08:43 PM

Here are pics as promised... bit blurry but you get the idea.

Just need the silver bulbs now :)

http://www.innovative-webdesign.co.u...ob/lights1.jpg
http://www.innovative-webdesign.co.u...ob/lights2.jpg

ChrisB 02 September 2002 11:01 PM

Hey, that's :cool:

Is it easy? I've got Morettes on a Classic as well.

BEL 03 September 2002 12:31 AM

Very smart m8 !!

I'd always wondered what that would look like. Mine's silver with morettes too. Is it a simple case of just swapping over the wires or is there more to it? I may well follow suit :D

Ian

BEL 03 September 2002 12:42 AM

Just thought of something....Do you think the coppers might class these newly positioned side lights as being driving/fog lights, as they are below the bumper?... I know how they like to hand out fines for that sort of thing :(

Ian

Brown Baron 03 September 2002 11:25 AM

Has anyone tried moving the sidelight into the one of the headlights. My morettes have a small hole, at the bottom of the outside light, that looks like it should accept a bulb holder. I suppose you could take the indicators out then and get some extra cooling for your brakes or whatever.

Moles Dad 03 September 2002 07:11 PM

Feedback....what a wonderful thing :)

Right then, old bill wont bovver you...5w bulbs!
I started by removing both the oe sidelights and the clear indicators...off to the garage.

Stage two, source two 21w bulb holders and 'measure' the dia with a diameter measurer :D
Junior hacksaw off the oe bulb holder on the oe sidelight so the housing is 'flush'.

Mark the size of the 'new' (21watt) holder on the oe sidelight housing and 'cut' partially using a Dremmel or at worst a SHARP stanley.

Mark out the 'locking' parts of the bulb holder and trim to produce an aperture that allows the 'larger' bulb to fit AND that locks into place...all sounds easy :)

Dont forget to source 'water proof' holders for the clear indicator housing...or they will fill with water!!!

Then use the 'small glass' type bayonet fitting 5watt bulbs in the clear indicator to produce a sidelight.

You will then need to 'swap' over the wiring to produce the new set up :D

By the way, I have sidelights in the Morette AND the lower 'light'.

It makes sense to me, but if it doesnt to you....mail me and I'll try to explain better :D

Hol 04 September 2002 01:26 PM

I put a post up about moving thee indicators to the sidelight and moving the sidelights into the mainheadlight and people thought I was MAD :(.=

You must be more credible than I am Andy ;)

My idea was to completely do away with the existing indicators and drill a small sidelight bulb and holder into the plastic lense of the OE headlight.

alcazar 04 September 2002 04:33 PM

Good grief hol you must be completely mad!!!

Only joking, Alcazar

Moles Dad 04 September 2002 07:21 PM

Hol...you ARE completely mad, you nutter :D

I did a mod years ago (not the type on a scooter :D) in my Granada 2.8i Ghia X (manual) where I had the sidelights in the main headlight AND the fogs...it looked the dogs!

Anyway, I digress :)

Andy...see you on the 20th :) :)

GTB Limited 05 September 2002 09:06 AM

Still haven't got enough lights though........

Moles Dad 05 September 2002 08:37 PM

GTB, no, not as many as you son !

But what you forget is this...I go round corners much faster than Legacy, I dont really need 'cornering lights' cos its all over by the time I've fed it in...:D

Have a good holiday :) :)

GTB Limited 05 September 2002 10:31 PM

Ooooh, that hurt.

Hol 06 September 2002 07:05 PM

Gibber Gibber :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I want to be a tree :p

Gibber Gibber blah! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Bonkers mate :eek:

Moles Dad 06 September 2002 09:00 PM

Sorry m8, only kiddin' innit :D

GTB Limited 06 September 2002 10:50 PM

All you need now are neon washer jets!!!!

http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/getpi...4628488898.jpg

http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/getpi...2462837670.gif

[Edited by GTB Limited - 9/6/2002 10:57:22 PM]

[Edited by GTB Limited - 9/6/2002 11:01:35 PM]

GTB Limited 07 September 2002 11:16 AM

Boats ok. Had a minor hitch on the way home, boat came lose, only thing holding it on was the painter. No damage incured though, strapped it back on at the 5 bells.

closed season now, so it will be prep'd for next year.

And no, i wasn't doing 90.

ChrisB 07 September 2002 12:12 PM

Do you take commissions Mole's Dad? :D :D

Moles Dad 07 September 2002 01:37 PM

GTB, ooops, Sorry about that !

I spose the straps were a bit 'oversized' for the trailer....
Doing 90? I would have said in that car doing 90 was taking it easy :)

ChrisB, do you mean re the pics?

I am a bit dense you see, I'm only a builder :D

ChrisB 07 September 2002 08:46 PM

Nope, fancy doing a set of the connectors for me?

I'm dangerous messing with cars! :D

Moles Dad 07 September 2002 09:52 PM

If your serious mail me...I would do the cutting operation for you if you source the bulbs and holders and send them to me.

You pay the postage to and fro, no other charge :)

ChrisB 07 September 2002 10:04 PM

:cool:

I'll be in touch - can you get the bits from Halfords?