ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   how much does a scoobynetplus card cost? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/126887-how-much-does-a-scoobynetplus-card-cost.html)

Adam M 30 August 2002 10:15 AM

Just wondered as I couldnt see it in simons post anywhere.

Also have another question.

I presume the vendors need to pay to be able to put their products in the shop since they get a captive audience which must be great for sales, especially with xxxx scoobynet members posting regularly.

if this is the case, then why is it at all necessary to charge the shoppers?

carl 30 August 2002 10:26 AM

It's in the webpage that the post links to:

ScoobyNetPlus is a paid for consumer service and is the final link in the synergy of the ScoobyShop model. It costs £25 per year and provides members with a discount on products available on ScoobyShop, which provides ScoobyNet with revenue to keep the shop running, and provides the vendors on ScoobyShop with a substantially more loyal customer base.
So at 5% discount you need to buy £500 of goods to break even.

BoxerFlat4 30 August 2002 10:28 AM

Adam -

My understanding is that by paying for the card, your certain of receiving at least 5% off the normal price, so if your a regular buyer of tuning gear etc etc, you can soon recover the price of the card. Also, it gives ScoobyNet a revenue feed that pays for the cost of ScoobyShop.

Unless I've got it totally wrong, of course... :D

Gecko Motorsport

Neil Smalley 30 August 2002 10:35 AM

Mod mode off

It's 5% and above

So if you by a set of tyres from scoobyshop you've paid for the card.

Also, its possible for vendors to offer servicing as a product so you can recoup the costs that way.

So it's more than just for people who want to modify thier car, it can be used for anything, be it DVD's, Games, Gadgets or anything(that's legal) else.

If you work out how much we all spend on 'stuff' a year and then think about getting 5-10% off where that 'stuff' is in scoobyshop then 25 quid a year is nothing.

Mod mode on

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 8/30/2002 10:46:28 AM]

Adam M 30 August 2002 10:36 AM

have checked that link now, makes sense.

Still find it strange, the whole paying to spend thing, but I suppose it is no different from costco which I am a member of.

Shaun 30 August 2002 10:42 AM

Adam,

If you read in the info page (linked from the sticky post), you will notice it mentions a yearly price of £25 for the ScoobynetPlus card.

The facility for vendors to sign-up for a BasicVendors account is TOTALLY FREE. To enhance the vendors profile of it's image/products/services, upgraded accounts and other extra's are available.

The discounts we have negotiated with vendors, has been set to a MINIMUM of 5%, with many items offering much more (there is NO upper ceiling on the amount of discount the vendor can offer). Also, we aim to bring to the community an on-line catalogue that does not just consist of motoring products. The potential savings to the community are huge.

YOU DON'T HAVE to be a ScoobyNetPlus card holder to purchase from Scoobyshop. If you don't have a card, it means you just have to pay the FULL RRP.

Regards,
Shaun.

Neil Smalley 30 August 2002 10:45 AM

Adam

The whole 'spend to save' business model is becoming more popular as people and companies move away from 'the give it away at no cost and then go under 6 months later' buisness model that was prevelant in the .com boom a couple of years ago.

This way it suits everyone. The companies(vendors) get extra revenue because of the exposure and discounts they offer to customers. The customers benefit because most of the stuff they want is in one place, and they get money off into the bargain.

Adam M 30 August 2002 12:22 PM

call me a synic, buts whats the film with that quote?

"someone is always getting rich!"

Little Miss WRX 30 August 2002 12:42 PM

I think cynic would be more appropriate a word......

"someone is always getting rich!"
Everyone is trying to get rich.......

That's life. :)

Adam M 30 August 2002 01:10 PM

cant even plead typing error. gosh my spelling is on its way out.

unfortunately though michelle it was a quotation and as such is not open for criticism.

Little Miss WRX 30 August 2002 02:02 PM

I think the film is Wall Street, correct me if I am wrong.

This is a public BBS remember, everything that is posted is open to criticism, whether welcome or not.

My post, however, was not a criticism.

ex-webby 30 August 2002 04:38 PM

:D Trust Adam to look on the bright side :)

OK...

The shop in it's basic form is COMPLETELY FREE for both Vendors and Consumers . IF... you then want some EXTRA benefits from that you can a) Pay for a ScoobyNetPlus Card, or b) Pay for extra vendor services.

There is no catch here. You can use the shop and browse it's products for nothing. If you want to get the discount we have negaciated on everyone's behalf, you can pay for a card which funds the effort and costs of doing this. If you don't want to, you've lost nothing and have gained a huge online catalogue of products.

We've put MONTH's in to developing the business model so that it is a benefit to EVERYONE (including ScoobyNet) and a negative to NOBODY. :)

All the best

Simon

Adam M 30 August 2002 04:43 PM

sorry for my cynicism.

As I said before, its like membership of costco, which makes sense.

I also didnt realise you could look before you join, which again is not a bad thing.

Must admit, I cant see a problem as everyone has the choice to join or not.

Phil 30 August 2002 04:47 PM

Sounds a great idea

http://www.stopstart.btinternet.co.uk/sm/notworthy.gif to the Scoobynet team

ptholt 30 August 2002 07:10 PM

Sounds a great idea, but also being mr mega cynic reminds me of the 'members only club' idea that was touted some time ago when views were expressed to make scoobynet a members only bbs, is this the first step perhaps?

Will we soon see scoobynet card holders areas only?

pslewis 30 August 2002 11:11 PM

I think its a good idea and one worthy of support for those who cannot be bothered to negotiate their own discount.

I, personally, run a credit card which pays me 1% of everything I spend on it. I also negotiate discounts on most things I buy - there is ALWAYS a margin to slice off, and, believe me - if they want my money, they slice!! :D

Good luck to the Scoobynet team, I sincerely hope it is successful

Pete

Adam M 31 August 2002 12:28 PM

Pete,

I have the same with my credit card, although just to let you know there is a credit card which gives you 1.6% cash back for the first six months then reverts to 0.8%, so I am using the new one to pay for the major expenses i have now, then reverting when the time expires.

Incase you want to know, its called accucard.

Claudius 31 August 2002 05:12 PM

How ironic is that: having to PAY for something to GET DISCOUNT!? :confused: Not slagging it off, seen it before, but I find the break-even-point high, and it's a YEARLY thing, so you'd have to buy a set of tyres A YEAR...

I'm surprised to hear it took months to develop that "business model"; it's pretty standard elsewhere...

Personally, I find 5% very low. I understand this is a MINIMUM, but it will probably not make companies offer 20% (as opposed to if the minimum had been 10%).

Just my thoughts, no harm intended.

Claudius 31 August 2002 05:15 PM

Just re-read that, didnt sound very constructive. Sorry about that.

What about making the vendors pay a fee? After all, they get access to a big target market. IMHO, Simon underestimates his relative bargaining power with this site!

Phil 31 August 2002 06:26 PM

Claudius

Read the full thread the Vendors can opt for a Bronze,Silver or Gold level and this would be chargeable

;)

Phil

Claudius 31 August 2002 06:32 PM

Fair enough, Mr. Stephens, but members still would have to buy that card, right? I would give them something for that £25 in addition, like stickers, a magazine, a T-shirt etc, you get the idea...

STi wanna Subaru 31 August 2002 07:06 PM

you don't have to buy the card to use the shop

ex-webby 01 September 2002 07:35 PM

Claudius

Why not wait until we officially announce and launch the ScoobyNetPlus Card? :)

The discount is the main reason for it, but there ARE other things. Be patient.

The months were spent developing the model so that it benefitted everybody and benefitted all levels of companies and still gave the choice to all consumers and all vendors as to how much (if at all) they pay.

The service is open to all for free. But is even better with the extra benefits you get from buying the additional services.

All the best

Simon

Dream Weaver 01 September 2002 08:32 PM

Some people :rolleyes:

It is only £25 a year for gods sake!!! :D