ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   PC upgrade advice needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/126600-pc-upgrade-advice-needed.html)

ozzy 29 August 2002 02:11 PM

I've currently got a PIII 600Mhz with 256Mb RAM.

I'm not sure whether to just upgrade the CPU (1.1Ghz for £128) or to replace the motherboard and CPU with a P4 or AMD.

The RAM is PC133, so would moving to a new AMD or P4 mean I'd have to junk the memory too?

Stefan

suba 29 August 2002 02:26 PM

it is always better to get a new motherboard, CPU and memory coz the technology is moving so fast. at least you know you are getting the latest technology.

jfrf 29 August 2002 04:29 PM

128 sounds expensive given that a 1.33 gig athlon cpu sells for 55 quid.
For 110 you could get a new mother board as well as the amd chip
You should be able to reuse the memory.
Only worth upgrading for games, as i used to have a 600mhz cpu which was perfect except for gaming

Ken E 29 August 2002 04:34 PM

Stefan

If you want to move to AMD or P4 then you will also probably need to change the PSU. Also, a P4 will only use a 4X AGP card so if you have a 2X then this will need changing too.

You will be able to reuse the SDRAM if you want, but motherboards for these CPUs are becoming less common as the move is to DDR and RDRAM. Your SDRAM will probably be PC100 so will be a lot slower than DDR even.

Looking a bit further ahead you are probably better off spending a bit more money and replacing the board, cpu, PSU or case with PSU, memory and video card if required. You could go for a board that can take SDRAM and DDR, then you could upgrade the memory at a later date if you wanted. AMD is usually more cost effective than P4 and Athlon XPs are pretty cheap now.

Hope this helps.

Ken

ozzy 29 August 2002 04:55 PM

Thanks guys.

The memory is PC133 and the video card is x4. I've got some spare bits 'n pieces from another P3 600, so it may be best just to upgrade the major components and use the old parts to build another PC.

What's everyones opinions on AMD and P4? I've always been an Intel person, but the cost of the AMD processors does catch my eye.

Stefan

super_si 29 August 2002 05:43 PM

Im intel mate!never will go AMD, after reading about hardware conflicts nar way.

If u need a PSU u can have my 300w for a £10 or something ive got 550w on the way

Si

what would scooby do 29 August 2002 09:01 PM

I have been running an intel PIII 800mhz and and AMD athlon xp 1.9ghz

I have always used intel processors in the past, but seen as my amd box has been more reliable running both win 98 and win xp - I'll stick with AMD now and save money.

suba 29 August 2002 10:23 PM

there's absolutely nothing wrong with AMD processor. it's all down to your budget.

Ken E 30 August 2002 08:03 AM

IMHO you can't beat Athlon XPs, P4s are good but I don't think the extra price is justified.

jfrf 30 August 2002 12:56 PM

stick with amd
performance is the same as intel, but the price is much better

ozzy 30 August 2002 02:44 PM

Cheers guys.

super_si 30 August 2002 02:47 PM

Intel prices should drop with the new 2.80 chip arriving soon

ChrisB 30 August 2002 03:27 PM

Need to drop a long way when the XP 2100 is already under £90!

Mr Footlong 30 August 2002 04:52 PM

As all my other fellow afficionado's say, AMD, AMD, AMD!!!

I run all AMD-Based setups, apart from my recently-built Monster P4 rig, which I only chose for one particular reason.

The more mature Via/SIS AMD chipsets that are around now have very few problems that are even vaguely worth mentioning. Add ACPI into the mix and you will be hard pushed to find a serious problem with one of the setups that can't put down to user misconfiguration/error.

Cheers,

Nick :)