ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Buying a P1 - What should I look out for? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/124809-buying-a-p1-what-should-i-look-out-for.html)

JayCole 23 August 2002 10:56 AM

As above - will be buying one in the next couple of months. Anything I should look out for - typical problems etc etc

Oakers 23 August 2002 11:03 AM

JayCOle.

There is quite a few P1's around at the moment so you should have a good choice. Try and get one that has had the Prodrive extras put on. i.e Exhaust, 18" Wheels, and most importantly the BIG brakes. You will definately need them :D. Maybe even the downpipe, you never know, you might be lucky.

Good luck

Oakers

wilf 23 August 2002 11:13 AM

Try the 17"s and 18" some prefer the set up of the smaller wheels.

Autocar criticised the P1 when they first drove it with 17"s but later put it down to tyre choice.

Gastro 23 August 2002 11:16 AM

Indeed - try and get one with the prodrive extras - they dont add on a huge amount to the secondhand value of the car - but make it more saleable !
The only things to looks for are the front spoiler - notorious for stone chipping - most have some form of armourfend on them.
The only other thing is clutch - some have reported judder -> and should be covered under the remaining warranty.

Good luck - I miss my old P1 everyday :(

Gastro

JayCole 23 August 2002 11:36 AM

Thanks guy's - anymore? Any engine probs or anything - I'll have one in about 2 - 3 months I think - Got approved on my loan yesterday. Due to current car and insurance I'm gonna wait a couple of months.

I'm definitley looking for 18's and the big brakes. It will probally be my second car as I have a PUG 106 GTI now and may end up keeping that for work purposes. I havn't even test drove one yet but I know it's what I want to get!

paulmon 23 August 2002 02:09 PM

You will only need the big brakes if:

1: You intend to take the car on track.
2: You drive round everywhere like a complete prick.

Otherwise the standard brakes are more than adequate for normal road use.

18" Wheels if you dont mind the car tramlining all over the place.

Exhaust: Yes defo just for the sound.
Gas Discharge Lamps: I had them on mine and they where brilliant when driving down dark unlit roads.

P

Pavlo 23 August 2002 02:19 PM

pedastrians

Rasher 23 August 2002 02:24 PM

What does the WR Pack add to the cost of a P1, from new and now second hand?

Mickle 23 August 2002 02:31 PM

paulmon - At last someone else that believes the bigger brakes are not a MUST! :)

The normal brakes are more than enough. If I had to buy another P1 I'd look for kerbed alloys, cracked lights, scuffed front splitter. When you do get to test drive one you'll love it to bits. :D

wilf 23 August 2002 02:41 PM

lol
Paulmon and Mickle must either live in built up areas or observe the speed limits :D.

[Edited by wilf - 8/23/2002 2:42:08 PM]

Mickle 23 August 2002 02:43 PM

Wilf - Just don't use them and slow down like you! :D

Doc@IlsonIlson 23 August 2002 03:08 PM

Look for the usual excessive stone chips pointing towards track use, IMO not good.

paulmon 23 August 2002 06:48 PM

Anyone who says they need the bigger brakes on public roads is a tit. End of discussion.

darkblueturbo 23 August 2002 07:09 PM

jay:

Due to current car and insurance I'm gonna wait a couple of months.
the self control! I just said sod it i'm NOT waiting 3 months, I want my turbo NOW!

I'm impressed. I simply COULDN'T do this

Philip Attaway 23 August 2002 07:22 PM

Make sure the rear doors open properly

Phil

hot4ap1 23 August 2002 07:28 PM

Quote:
'Anyone who says they need the bigger brakes on public roads is a tit. End of discussion.'

Err, yes you really know what you're talking about! Any car that's got upgraded brakes is bound to better than ones that has only standard - although the standard ones are adequate, if you have the choice getting a P1 with upgraded ones it's definitely better - especially if you drive it like it's meant to be driven!!

kwiky 23 August 2002 10:07 PM

Don't get big breaks incase you slow down to quick and your fags slip off the passenger seat?
nobs
safety rules i would rather stop too soon than be adequate
but then i always have erred on the side of caution.

scoobynutta555 23 August 2002 10:15 PM

let me know when u buying, i know 1 thats mint with full wr extras.

JayCole 28 August 2002 11:38 AM

I've decided I may not wait and get one very soon - can you give me details of the P1 scoobynutta?

chattygirl 28 August 2002 11:44 AM

Hi I'm part of a BBC production team who are to make a programme on racing, sprinting .....only the kind that doesn't take place off road!!

Anyone want to take part???!

Has to be from London or surrounding London areas.

Pavlo 28 August 2002 11:46 AM

are you on crack?

TonyBurns 28 August 2002 11:50 AM

Look, the standard brakes are ok but thats it ok on a UK car (they are still rather pathetic and crack easily :() but on the P1 they are pretty useless (unless you have bigger discs and better pads ;)) so thats the reason i opted to go for brembo 4pots on my uk spec car, they stop quicker :D dont warp or crack the second you put decent force into them and give you the assurance that having over 300mm is better than having under 300mm ;)

Tony:D

uxg 28 August 2002 11:51 AM

Speed Camera's, Radar traps and sleeping policeman (as opposed to one's that are awake!!) :)

Josh L 28 August 2002 12:44 PM

I'd try to drive P1s with both 17's and 18's as there is quite a difference.

Although the 18's are supposed to improve turn-in, a number have people have reported that they make the car more skitish on B road driving. This is something I've also noticed driving P1s with 18s.

Consequently, my personal opinion would be that if you spend most of your time on decent A roads and motorways, go for the 18's, otherwise stick with the 17's.

Other than the wheel and the brakes, I don't think there is any real difference between buying a P1 or any other Scoob. Stone chips are an issue on any Impreza, and I've rally had no more on the P1 than I had on my '98.

Enjoy.

Josh

P1 Enthusiast 28 August 2002 01:01 PM

Chattygirl - you serious? **EDITTED - was under the impression she meant closed roads or track days - we do not condone or take part in illegal racing in any way on this forum**

Definitely get bigger brakes, look for good paintwork on front bumpers etc and try and get one with armour fend, the front CHIPS very easily. My needed resprayed after a year. Exhaust is a must and downpipe would be nice, boost gauge is a good toy also :)

Best brakes are the Pro Drive/Alcons, better feel and stopping power than the Brembo's (Brembo's still good tho) - Yes, i have tested them head to head.

[Edited by P1 Enthusiast - 8/28/2002 4:25:03 PM]

medders 28 August 2002 01:02 PM

P1 enthusiast - Are you serious. She wants to make a programme about people who race on the road????!?!?!?!

Must be speed kills time again......