ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   AVOID GREENWAYS OF NORWICH (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/124633-avoid-greenways-of-norwich.html)

Nix 22 August 2002 07:23 PM

Two months ago my 99 turbo blew a piston while it was 1 month out of warranty. I applied for a goodwill payment from Subaru UK and basically they told me I would have to pay full price because the car was out of warranty. It has done only 49k and has full dealer history. I even presented them with every receipt for every bulb,tyre and thing I have ever spent on the car to prove how it was looked after (probably better than my kids!!). Greenways of Norwich have also turned round and presented me with a quote for £3800 to put a new engine in. Considering that I paid nearly £16k only a year ago, I feel SLIGHTLY hard done by. The worst thing is, they will not even tell me what caused the problem (#2 piston shattered). I don't thrash it like a lunatic and am worried that i'll be splashing out in a couple of years time again because it's a fault with the fuelling or ignition. If you have a view on this or know of somewhere to get a short engine cheaper than the £2200 quote they have given me, please email me at.... nix290@hotmail.com because I dont want to pay any more of my hard earned cash. Nick Palmer

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 8/23/2002 5:18:34 AM]

SL2 22 August 2002 07:34 PM

ok, your posts will probably be deleted. Try a different subject line. "Customer care at Greenways of Norwich!!!!" was probably better, you should have just posted that one and not posted the others.

[Edited by SL2 - 8/22/2002 7:36:59 PM]

Nix 22 August 2002 07:43 PM

Okay..fair point!!! But I just want to get my point across that this so called 'Amazing customer care' that Subaru boast is not entirely true...........trading standards think we have been treated disgracefully and if I can save one person being subjected to the kind of stress and treatment we have had then I've done my good deed for the day.

daz b 22 August 2002 07:49 PM

spot on

SL2 22 August 2002 07:51 PM

Fair enough, you should have your say. Best thing is to remove the other posts including this one and leave the one i said here.

scoobynutta555 22 August 2002 08:21 PM

I sympathise with you that you have a big bill to pay. However, you were actually out of warranty, it was up to you to take out an extended 2 year warranty from Subaru, which you chose not to do, i dont know all the facts about you or your car, but i would not expect anybody let alone subaru, to pay out to me for something thats out of warranty. Having said that subaru could have made some gesture of goodwill, but as i say its up to them.

Nix 22 August 2002 08:38 PM

Thats what i applied for....a GOODWILL gesture....ho hum

Flat 4x4 22 August 2002 08:43 PM

Nix

Don't think you'll do much cheaper from a Subaru dealer for a short engine.

They are now reconditioned units sourced in the UK by Subaru UK.

I was fortunate in that I had taken an extended warranty out one month before mine went (also a 99MY) and the invoice I was asked to approve was for £2050.

Offline if you want details

Nix 22 August 2002 08:54 PM

I havent given up yet!!! But if push comes to shove and I do have to pay the lot, then I want to pay as little as possible.

p1doc 22 August 2002 09:38 PM

try scoobysport or tsl,i am sure there was a thread about one of saxo boy's mates managing to get a cheap engine
martin

RichardPON 22 August 2002 11:53 PM

I think it's as important, as you mention, to find out what the cause of the problem might have been.

If you've got dodgy wiring for one of the injectors, you wont stop the potential problem from recurring.

Good luck mate.... You posted this on scoobycity.co.uk? - might be of some help there....

Nixs 23 August 2002 12:04 AM

Oi Nix - you nicked my user name (ish) :D

cement man 23 August 2002 12:38 AM

Nix
MY99 short engine is £1087.99+vat from subaru main dealer,i know because i just purchased said item.

Flat 4x4 23 August 2002 08:58 AM

So that means its about an extra £800 for fitting at a Subaru dealer

stanmo 23 August 2002 10:01 AM

You could always forward copies of your correspondence to the consumer groups and see if they think it's worth pursuing.

I sourced MY99 from Greenways of Norwich, and apart from continually dropping the pt ex price on my then current car (800 below book), I didn't get any further letters or correspondence to allow me to take out an extended warranty. Asking about it at my local Subaru dealer just resulted in the usual Brit method of following up business.....don't bother to phone back.

I believe Greenways were also the garage who managed to spray the underbody sealant at the 1/3/5 yr body service all over the interior of someone's car. Not sure if it was posted here or on IWOC.

Jerome 23 August 2002 12:42 PM

Subaru seem only too keen to avoid paying out when a Scoob is within warranty, let alone outside. If you get even a token goodwill gesture, I'll be utterly amazed.

[Edited by Jerome - 8/23/2002 1:20:37 PM]