ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Advanced driving... Scoob or Matiz (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/124236-advanced-driving-scoob-or-matiz.html)

Dr Nick 21 August 2002 03:52 PM

Hi Everybody!

I have the opportunity to for free lessons and one free shot at the advanced driving test.

I have two cars, Daewoo Matiz and a scooby.

I am allowed to take the lessons in only one car. Which one should it be in and why?

Although I like the idea of using the scoob, I feel that I am far more likely to be involved in a serious accident in the Matiz because, its not so robust as the scoob, does not have anti lock brakes and some might argue its cornering ability in the wet does not match the scoob. ;)

In normal day to day driving, which I assume is what this training will be all about, I feel the scoob is inherently a much safer car. So I should not need to learn as much about driving this vehicle safely.

I would particularly welcome comments from people who have already taken these lessons and test.

Cheers

TonyBurns 21 August 2002 04:12 PM

I would personally drive the scoob, not because its safer etc but due to the fact that you drive it and are comfortable in it.
You could take either car, it wouldnt make any difference as the tecniques that your taught are usable in any car and not just the scoob :D

Tony:D

TomM 21 August 2002 04:13 PM

They are about the same in the handling stakes arnt they???

:D :D :D

Take the Scooby.

Neil Smalley 21 August 2002 04:18 PM

I took mine in my scoob because
1. Its the car I drive everyday
2. If I can pass the test in a scoob(its easier to drive a micra smoothly) then I can pass it in anything
3. I wanted to see the look on Mr Transport 2000's eco friendly observer when I turned up in it.

Andrew Dixon 21 August 2002 04:55 PM

Lessons (er, sorry .. "observed runs" as they like to call them) are generally freee anyway aren't they, provided you join a local IAM group?

Anyways ... I'd do it in the Scoob. I passed my test a while back (blimey, 6 years ago!) in my Mk2 Golf GTI and found that the IAM people are generally car enthusiasts and I was quite often encouraged to "open it up" where safe. ;)

Plus, if the Class 1 Police driver who observes you on the actual test sees an Impreza driver who takes driving safety seriously, it might help to earn Scooby drivers a few more Brownie points with the Police!

Good luck, it's definitely worth it.

Andrew

S55 HOT 21 August 2002 04:58 PM

I used the Scoob for mine - you need to concerntrate on lots of things so use which ever one you feel most comfortable with.

I drive the Scoob most so it is easier to be smooth and stick to the speed limit in that whilst not looking at the spedo......

mutant_matt 21 August 2002 05:22 PM

I did mine in the Scoob and would recommend you do the same. If you can drive a Scoob smoothly and to the test standard, you can do it in anything!

Matt :)

Dr Nick 22 August 2002 08:29 AM

Looks like a fairly unanimous verdict then..

Thanks for the comments.