ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Extended Warranty worth it? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/123868-extended-warranty-worth-it.html)

SCOSaltire 20 August 2002 03:31 PM

as topic
580 odd quid for 2 years unlimited milage on a car 3 years old.

its that or full decat...

Flat 4x4 20 August 2002 04:16 PM

From experience I am £2500 'better off' by spending £300 on a one year unlimited mileage Subaru extension, and my car has FsSH

Nuff said ?

ozzy 20 August 2002 04:49 PM

Of course, you could run for 2 years with no claims whatsoever and be £500 worse off.

Personally, I decided not too bother after experience of 3 years VW extended warranty, no claims and £800 out of pocket.

If you think it's not worth the risk, then go for it. I'd ask for a detailed lists of what is/isn't covered before parting with any cash though.

And you can't have ANY mods. So no Defi's, no de-cat, no brakes ;)

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 8/20/2002 4:51:57 PM]

Pete Croney 20 August 2002 05:45 PM

Ozzy is spot on. Its not a Subaru warranty, its an insurance warranty from Mondial which Subaru dealers sell.

Mondial have been keen to reject claims if the car does not have (and continue to have) a perfect dealer service history and if it has any mods whatsoever. Irrespective of whether they are related to the fault. The service history must always have been in time and mileage limits.

If your car fits this spec and you intend to keep it that way, then its good peace of mind. If you are tempted to now change anything on the car, you could shop around for a different warranty or spend the money on toys.

MKC 20 August 2002 06:53 PM

I brought a uk MY99 with full ssh, perfect order and had extended warranty for 2 years. After 4 weeks, the engine failed. This happened on two mor ocassions until the fault was found to be with the ECU (known issue on only one other UK car!!!).

Subaru have spend £18k replacing the engines etc...

The extended warranty is well worth it if you are that unlucky..!

LG John 20 August 2002 07:07 PM

Sipie would say get the warrenty....just shelled out £1500 for a new gearbox and clutch (gear-box 2nd hand btw).

Moles Dad 20 August 2002 07:13 PM

I have just been invited to 'extend' my warranty but with 60k limit and the mods I have, I thought it would be money well wasted!

A standard car would be a different kettle :) For £380 for 12 months I might have considered it.

Lifes a gamble my son!

Flat 4x4 20 August 2002 07:30 PM

There isn't a 60k limit - that's just one option.
I have a year's unlimited mileage for £327 and a new engine, again with FsSH and well-looked after.

As PC said, expensive if you don't claim, cheap if you do. Doesn't that apply to all kinds of insurance !!?

SCOSaltire 20 August 2002 07:47 PM

you all said the pros and cons i was thinking of

hmmmmm

im not going for it
reason - i want full SS decat on...

cheers all

chockymonster 20 August 2002 08:05 PM

You can always buy a warranty from someone else!
It won't matter if it is modified as long as it is serviced by a VAT registered garage.

MKC 21 August 2002 02:22 PM

Has anyone used and claimed from an additional warranty policy - what type of claim, cost, process etc...cheers, MKC

Moles Dad 21 August 2002 04:31 PM

I stand corrected, MINE was offered @ £380 with 60k limit.

And yes, its all about 'peace of mind' and cheap if you get a new engine...possibly wasted if you dont claim.

It all depends on the individuals situation :)

PeterPerfect 21 August 2002 08:51 PM

Interesting, I've also been offered to extend my MY99 warranty for another 2 years for £388.
However, I've already got uprated brakes, exhaust, suspension and from what you guys are saying I would have no luck in a claim situation.
Would this Mondal outfit really reject an engine rebuild if they spotted the none standard brakes/suspension ?
I need to make a choice in the next few days.....
Cheers Pete

Flat 4x4 21 August 2002 09:02 PM

PeterP

Why not try a dealer in the south of your county. Buy the warranty from them.

Based on experience of a recent claim, I doubt that they/ Mr Mondial inspector would decline the claim unless the exhaust (other than silencer) or engine had been obviously modified.

Whilst the warranty is not from I.M directly, it is the only one that the Subaru dealers are supposed to sell and sometimes it is sold as "almost identical to the Subaru warranty, Sir"

In my case it was worth it - just make sure the service book is fully stamped on time and you keep friendly with your dealer should the time come to claim